ATV VIN# Check

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone know of where online I can check ATV VIN numbers?
I've been looking at several for projects lately.
Reason being, not all states did or do issue titles for ATV's/4 wheelers.
So, if you buy one used, and cheap, and especially older, they almost never have a title.
If I was going to spend a few grand up front, I'de buy something that had a title.
But, for spending a few hundred on a starter project, not so much. Legitimate, legally owned 4 wheelers are sold without titles in VA all the time(even though VA does issue titles for them).
Problem is, I don't want to end up with a couple grand in the finished project, only to have problems later.
As in, find out it was stolen 5 owners ago, or it's legally still bank owned(as a previous seller never paid the bank).
Then the cops seize it and I'm out everything.
If there is a database that I could run a VIN# through to check for theft or liens before I buy, it would put my mind at ease.
I'm also not directly dealing with anyone sketchy, but you never know who you're dealing with on Craigslist.
Or, if I buy it from someone I know, who bought it used, from someone who bought it used, ect., who knows what happened 10 years ago.
I'm looking at 500 Quadracers and LTZ 400's. I also haven't given up on another bike, I just haven't decided what to do about ridiculous insurance yet.
I've been riding 4 wheelers for decades too, and haven't had one in a long time. It's time for another project.
Thanks for any help.

Typically they will not check VIN status over the phone, because if it does have a thieft associated with it, they can then recover it. My recommendation would be to find one, and then ask the seller to meet you at a police station/sherrifs office to check the numbers.

Best

-D

Back