Attn Frank Adams

Frank Adams

Registered
Tom, I'm not in love with Terry....but I am with his work!

I can't think of a better person to reccomend anyone to for this & other type of fabing. He knows his stuff!

I'm sure anyone else thats had work done by him can account for that....

Sometimes he's a little slow but it seems that away with anyone that does good work....I'm sure your aware of that.

I, Myself would go with a 4130 setup.

Either way you go the most important concern is that getting your suspension to work the way you need it to....

Thats another area Terry should be helpful in...

Your arm & frame will be a breeze for him...let him go to work on it!!

Tom, just make sure you set this BadBoy for a shock....Frank

Ps...Tell Terry I said Hi!!!

Hey Frank, I am talking to Terry McIntosh concerning building an arm for my 86 GSXR turbobike. I was thinking of going 8-10" over. They can add extensions and a brace, but I'd rather spend the extra money and get a 4130 arm. My problem is that the 86 suspension geometry is unique, and difficult to lower the bike as well as difficult to fabricate the arm ($100 more). Terry said an option would be to go to a 91 style arm, but I'd have to cut the stock mounts and weld new tabs, as well as a few other minor mods. This would mean shipping the frame to him, not that big a deal (he said he gets about 3 frames a week sent via UPS). I just want to know what you think about this. I know it's not Hayabusa related, but I figured I'd ask. The bike will be ridden on the street, as well as the dragstrip on occasion. Thanks...Tom Gafa

Thanks Frank...it is being set up for a shock, and I did go with a 9" over 4130 arm. I am going to use the 86 suspension setup, rather than going with the newer style. Hopefully the older style suspension will work satisfactory.

Tom, that suspension is very important....that Turbo is useless if you can;t get the Hp to the ground.

Is this arm going to be sloted for a 7 to 9 inch application?

Frank, actually it's going to be slotted for a 6-9" range. Terry or Ken indicated that a 4" slot is too much (weakens the arm), a 3" slot is acceptable, and a 2" slot is the best choice. I went with a 3" slot because if I ever decide to rake the frame I can still make the 68" wheelbase max for Streetbike shootout. You are so right about being able to put the power down, the 86 style suspension should work ok, but it is a lot harder for McIntosh to make. I also want the option of going back to stock setup/swingarm if I ever desire, even if that's not likely.

Motorhead, I saw that ad, but if I'm not mistaken it was placed by Tim Hayes, who has been the object of controversey of late. Also, I could always extend my stock arm, but I like the strength, looks, and versatility of a 4130 arm. Thanks for everyones input, I really appreciate it....Tom Gafa

Tom, hows your prodject coming?

Terry's doing another arm for one of my prodjects, I hope it doesn't interfere with yours?

Back