Attention all knee dragers

monster

Wherever I May Roam
Donating Member
Registered
ok so I was reading a thread around here recently and I got some good info about getting low. So lately during long sweeping turns (on ramps etc) I've been trying to have my butt crack haly way off the seat and the ball of my feet on the pegs but I still can't get as low as I want. My speed is usually 45-50 depending, sometimes more sometimes less. I can tell that my confidence is rock solid - I wear gear and have brand new Avon Viper Sport tires with approx 600 miles on them. I guess I'm uncertain of what speed to approach the turn in and once I get into my lean do I maintain my speed or accellerate? People sugested to take a class - here in CT I don't know of any track. I may have to plan a weekend and travel out of state. Any tips to help get me lower and remain safe while doing it would be greatly appreciated.

come ride with me dude... i'll show ya how the busa gets down ;) I have no chicken strips to prove it LOL.

what are u doing tonight? hit me up!

perfect, im not heading out till 7. come to hooters over on the berlin tpk, i'll be headin over there. be there by 7:30

Maintain throttle in the turn to set the suspension at mid travel. Entry speed is everything but it is a learned technique. Get yourself up to New Hampshire for some track time. There are some folks on the board in Vermont who frequent that track so you should hook up with them. Try the New England thread.

perfect, im not heading out till 7.  come to hooters over on the berlin tpk, i'll be headin over there. be there by 7:30
I'll do my best. No promises though - I haven't talked to my wife yet
biggrin.gif

I used to go to a track in Springfield/Agawam. No longer there?

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156366691 -->

I wouldn't recommend attempting this on public roads. You need pretty good speed to be able to do this on a busa because it gets twitchy leaned over at slower speeds. But if you have a good high-speed corner that allows good lean angles and that you know is clear of junk go for it.

It's a mental thing mostly, you think there can't possibly any more lean angle left ... just put more weight on the inside peg and add a little countersteer (very little, and I prefer pulling the outside bar rather than pushing on the inside one). Keep doing it a little more each time and make sure to get the knee way out there.

And do it properly please. I can't stand the guys who have their torso angling away from the turn.

the biggest problem I ever had with getting a knee down on the busa was realizing how far you have to get off the bike to do it.

I remember viewing video from a guy riding behind me where the canister was doing everything but touching.. but still no knee.

EX.

in a RH turn your left inner knee should be at the back of the tank... and your really off the bike.. butt is about where you mentioned .. left inner arm on tank... head nearly touching the rh mirrors...

after that it's just a matter of going fast enough to need to be leaning that far.

Go to Keith Code's Superbike School and quit worrying about getting a knee down! You'll learn all about cornering and body position, and after awhile, it will all come together. And your knee may even touch down. On the track.

It's amazing what you can do without a knee down when you learn how to properly turn your bike.

Best thing is to take a class.

Be sure to get your upper body as well as your lower body over and down. Getting your head down to the mirror is a great tool to show you how far you can get off. Just trying to get your head down that low is hard, just remember to look ahead of the corner and not at your own face in the mirror
wink.gif

Biggest thing is don't try too hard too fast. Take your time, in the end it doesn't mean that much anyway.

I don't mean to hijack, but will someone please tell me why doods think it is so great to get a knee down? I've seen riders on vids and in life that could easilly negotiate a given turnwith every thing on the bike and they still hang off it like they were on a jungle gym or something just trying like hell to get that knee on pavement. So, for all you cycling sages out there: am I missing something?

I don't mean to hijack, but will someone please tell me why doods think it is so great to get a knee down? I've seen riders on vids and in life that could easilly negotiate a given turnwith every thing on the bike and they still hang off it like they were on a jungle gym or something just trying like hell to get that knee on pavement. So, for all you cycling sages out there: am I missing something?
if ya hafta ask?

If you go to Keith Code's California Superbike school they are actually teaching that knee down is not the way to go. Lean off and up but keep the bike as upright as possible through the turn to maximize corner entry and exit speed. The bike will go faster up versus leaned. Your contact patch is also much greater. Took me a awhile to grasp the concept, when you do its amazing how much faster you can go. It still boils down to what works for you.

<!--EDIT|GPW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156387722 -->

I'll never put my knee on the pavement... but I also said I'd never take my Busa over 150mph, too. But I seriously get no thrill riding tight corners like ones on the dragon... but I do like turns and have taken many roads where I live that equally match the dragon. It's just not what I find fun. I prefer straight line acceleration with little wind. That's just me.

if ya hafta ask?
I did and I do. Let me reiterate. What's the deal? Especially to Jinxster now. If I can go faster with my whole body on the bike why hang off? Or does hang mean show off?

Sorry Monster! Now I must know!
smile.gif

althought many people do it, I don't recomend knee dragging on 'streets'. ever read about people wiping out in corners due to sand or something? there ya go. Tracks offer you the best experience at knee dragging. On my busa I consider knee dragging essential so I know where the bike is in its lean. I hate scraping parts and If my knee is touching I know parts are safe. And it is a great connection to the corner once you start feeling it. my 4.5 cents

Back