Attention all knee dragers

I'll never put my knee on the pavement... but I also said I'd never take my Busa over 150mph, too. But I seriously get no thrill riding tight corners like ones on the dragon... but I do like turns and have taken many roads where I live that equally match the dragon. It's just not what I find fun. I prefer straight line acceleration with little wind. That's just me.
I was telling some guys here that very same thing. From the top of Mt. Cheaha go down toward Hollis Crossroads but take the first road to the right that goes down through Shinbone. That road is wicked. The only problem I have with it is the driveways on it. I have scraped the pegs on so many roads around your area it isn't even funny.

Here's the deal psalm. getting a knee down is mainly a technique used to "measure" or "feel" out what the lean angle on the bike is. Obviously the more lean the less contact patch. Yes, you can go around a corner leaned over far and not hang off the bike. But..you risk losing contact patch and lowsiding the bike. You can actually go MUCH FASTER hanging off, holding your throttle and line b/c the bike IS NOT LEaned over as much like if you were to just keep that a$$ planted on the seat.

I've been doing trackdays and took some instruction here and there and actually seen my laptimes get drastically faster b/c of hanging off, putting my centerline closer to the lean angle, working on foot positioning, etc. All b/c I have MORE Contact patch=more cornering speed and confidence.

example @ california speedway ama track 2.3 miles:

Lap times before hanging off and learning good technique: 2: 15: 38

Lap times today: 1:48:7's

YOu see, knee dragging is NOT about showing off but a Means to an end in Being FASTER.

leans before Turn 6:
ryan5.jpg

now Turn 6:
ryabusa7.jpg

The second pic is the 1:48 lap time.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156392129 -->

althought many people do it, I don't recomend knee dragging on 'streets'.  ever read about people wiping out in corners due to sand or something?  there ya go.  Tracks offer you the best experience at knee dragging.  On my busa I consider knee dragging essential so I know where the bike is in its lean.  I hate scraping parts and If my knee is touching I know parts are safe. And it is a great connection to the corner once you start feeling it.  my 4.5 cents
+1

It's all about "The Connection" with the corner.

Here's the deal psalm. getting a knee down is mainly a technique used to "measure" or "feel" out what the lean angle on the bike is. Obviously the more lean the less contact patch. Yes, you can go around a corner leaned over far and not hang off the bike. But..you risk losing contact patch and lowsiding the bike. You can actually go MUCH FASTER hanging off, holding your throttle and line b/c the bike IS NOT LEaned over as much like if you were to just keep that a$$ planted on the seat.

I've been doing trackdays and took some instruction here and there and actually seen my laptimes get drastically faster b/c of hanging off, putting my centerline closer to the lean angle, working on foot positioning, etc. All b/c I have MORE Contact patch=more cornering speed and confidence.

YOu see, knee dragging is NOT about showing off but a Means to an end in Being FASTER.

leans before Turn 6:
ryan5.jpg

now Turn 6:
ryabusa7.jpg

gtrpimp76 -- You do that action on the street?

Great lap times guys. Good to hear some real world experience with this!

<!--EDIT|shawn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156424016 -->

I actually hit my knee on the street the 1st time. In all honesty it shocked the crap out of me but once I realized what just happened I could not shut up.

When lean angles become extreme, you must start to hang off to keep hard parts from scraping. Take a look at the next two pictures.

Both of me riding, one with my wife at the Gap and one at VIR. Notice the difference in lean angles.....

r1forumkb2.JPG

At the Gap, that is as far as I want to lean a machine without my knee on the ground. As others has said, it gives the rider a guage on how far you are over.

On the track with my knee down, I still have room to improve. I can get faster, increasing my angle even more and still have a good contact patch.

Riding fast on the street or the track requires you to be smooth and to be familar with the road/track.

Will I drag a knee on a public road? I will plead the 5th on that one, lol....

I actually hit my knee on the street the 1st time. In all honesty it shocked the crap out of me but once I realized what just happened I could not shut up.

When lean angles become extreme, you must start to hang off to keep hard parts from scraping. Take a look at the next two pictures.

Both of me riding, one with my wife at the Gap and one at VIR. Notice the difference in lean angles.....
Heh, I think I have a similar picture
biggrin.gif

Looks good

Carl

i scraped my right side fairing, exhaust, and peg feelers.. left side scraped the stator cover, KICKSTAND, and the can.. before i ground the peg feeler off.

The only way that I am going to scrape my pegs is by dropping the bike! ROFL!

Will I drag a knee on a public road? I will plead the 5th on that one, lol....
So, uh, er, VMan.

I guess I'll start by PM'ing my addy for the witness "Nope I didn't see Kevin do that on Hwy28 by the Fontana Dam" payoff check?
I'm sure others, about 45, will chime in shortly as well! Do we need to examine some evidence first?
Shall we start the blackmail negotiations at say...$50.00? LOL
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously, My opinion is knee dragging is something for tracks. Not everyday street riding. There are exceptions such as desolate well constructed pre inspected corners, but if you try to drag every corner on every ride, sooner or later, something will go awry. Either a cage over the line, debris, etc.. My .02

Man, every time I get my knee down...

I realize I've just fallen off the bicycle...
laugh.gif

i enjoy the corners... the knee down helps me gauge where I am at now that i know when I will scrape hardware. the knee down also gives me more stability at extreme lean angles. the busa is a different bike in the twisties.. its not like an RR where you just countersteer through the turn sitting completely on the seat... on the tighter stuff the busa NEEDS to be cranked over a lot due to be longer and lower, and wider... and not hanging off will result in scraping hardware which you will find out soon enough .. just like I did. that can lead to a lowside.. not cool. i know when I hit my knee down, i can move my leg in just a little bit before I will scrape so I back off the throttle a little bit to fix my line and then carry on with the rest of the turn. it's not for show or to look cool... plus... gettin that knee on the ground also helps force you to maintain somewhat better body positioning than just handlebar input.

leans before Turn 6:
ryan5.jpg

now Turn 6:
ryabusa7.jpg

gtrpimp76 -- You do that action on the street?
In town: NO.

Canyons: Maybe. But I don't recommend it.

i enjoy the corners... the knee down helps me gauge where I am at now that i know when I will scrape hardware. the knee down also gives me more stability at extreme lean angles.  the busa is a different bike in the twisties.. its not like an RR where you just countersteer through the turn sitting completely on the seat... on the tighter stuff the busa NEEDS to be cranked over a lot due to be longer and lower, and wider... and not hanging off will result in scraping hardware which you will find out soon enough .. just like I did.  that can lead to a lowside.. not cool.  i know when I hit my knee down, i can move my leg in just a little bit before I will scrape so I back off the throttle a little bit to fix my line and then carry on with the rest of the turn.  it's not for show or to look cool... plus... gettin that knee on the ground also helps force you to maintain somewhat better body positioning than just handlebar input.
+1

Back