At what point do you guys admit it is beyond your ability??

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
I am going through stuff on my bike right now that could be either the fuel filter, or TPS going bad. Both of them or one of them has made my bike unreliable to ride on. I could do both of them myself but if neither fixes it....then I am talking about going into the fuel injectors and such

So my question is at what point do you say this is not worth it and take your bike to the shop??

I have time and friends and resources to diagnose and do most things. But I have also spent a lot on the motorcycle and don't want it down a month while we slowly rule things out or fix things that arent quite right.

If it isnt fuel filters or TPS sensor I think I may just take it to garage and let them figure itout.

i do all my own work and never let someone else drive or getting close to her she is mine and i take very good care of this lady :beerchug:

You need to upgrade your pump to an aftermarket unit or a clean 2000 unit. Its cheaper to find used injectors than to pay a shop to clean them for you...of course, if you have a manual and some ability...you can do it yourself.

I'll do my own oil changes, wheels off/on for tire changes, light bulbs, small stuff. Otherwise, I'm blessed with a very good motorcycle service shop just up the road from my house. I have them do all the bigger stuff, in several years and several bikes they've never errored on anything, so I'm not going to fool with it. Dirt bike I do everything on, Busa no.

www.rceng.com....$24/injector. Pop tank, pop airbox, pop rail, two phillips head screws, pull rail (injectors might come with, remove injectors, box them, mail them, back in 48 hours........ :oldcool: Clean and calibrated.........no arrangement order necessary. When they get back, you can put them in anyway you like..... :super:

I do a lot of stuff myself, but I think it's an individual thing to decide when it's no longer worth it. Guess you have to know your own limitations. If time is your limiting factor probably best to cough up the dough and take her to someone that you trust to fix her.

I DO SOME LITTLE STUFF ON THE BUSA, BIG THING i JUST TAKE TO GUYS I GOT HER FROM HE ONS HIS SHOP. EVERYTIME I TAKE THE BIKE TO HIS SHOP HE LOOKS AT HER W/ A SAD FACE.

One thing about a REPUTABLE shop is that they guarantee their work. If they charge you to fix it and the problem isn't actually fixed, they take it back without charging you more, except maybe for parts. Not all shops act this way, so it's worth having a discussion with them before handing over your bike.

Even if you can do the work, you sometimes are better off paying to get it done. We can't use the bath and shower in my master bathroom because I know I can do the work. Somehow I find I like working on the bike or the cars but hate working on houses. House needs paint too. :(

www.rceng.com....$24/injector. Pop tank, pop airbox, pop rail, two phillips head screws, pull rail (injectors might come with, remove injectors, box them, mail them, back in 48 hours........ :oldcool: Clean and calibrated.........no arrangement order necessary. When they get back, you can put them in anyway you like..... :super:

FAIL

The charge for RC Engineering's standard clean-flow-balance service is $24.00 - $28.50 per injector, depending on the type of injector. If overnight shipping is used, the turnaround time is three days.

and I would hate to hear what overnighting both ways will cost..

I bet it won't stop at $50.

and cleaning the injectors won't solve the 99 fuel pump issue

I do a lot of stuff myself, but I think it's an individual thing to decide when it's no longer worth it. Guess you have to know your own limitations. If time is your limiting factor probably best to cough up the dough and take her to someone that you trust to fix her.

+1

I love this org. Do a search and maybe it's something that can be fixed while talking to some of the members on line.

Trust me, Spudley turned me on to these guys when I was having trouble. I sent my injectors out to CA and they came back three days later with a great printout showing where the injectors were when they arrived and then a column to show what they are after service. This totally cured my problem and my Girl has been purring perfectly since. Plus, you get a 10% discount for being a member of this great .ORG

Trust Spudley, he knows................:thumbsup:

Back