AT&T poor network coverage...there's an app for that

That's a program that is designed to reduce having to hire people to recreate the coverage issues after they get a complaint. Now they can capture the specific problem locations instead of getting "around 5th St and 27th Ave" from the customer. Most customers give horridly lacking details when they call customer service. Most just call to complain, and give little to no valuable information to help AT&T make the adjustments that should be made.

BTW. Not all of the problems with the iPhone are coverage related. Most people never turn their iPhone off. There is a bug in the 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 firmware that doesn't flush the memory cache often enough. The phone will start dropping calls because the radio controller looses track of the commands as the memory becomes more and more corrupt. Powering the iPhone off for a few minutes then back on will correct the memory leak for a while longer. Hopefully Apple will address this issue very soon. My iPhone worked perfectly on firmware 3.0.0 and 3.0.1. I have had more problems with dropped calls since 3.1.1 was released.

That's a program that is designed to reduce having to hire people to recreate the coverage issues after they get a complaint. Now they can capture the specific problem locations instead of getting "around 5th St and 27th Ave" from the customer. Most customers give horridly lacking details when they call customer service. Most just call to complain, and give little to no valuable information to help AT&T make the adjustments that should be made.

I'm familiar with crowdsourcing. I just think it will be funny when AT&T's servers crash now that their customers have a direct link to vent their frustrations.

The last six months with AT&T have been so bad I've reverted back to 2g to help with dropped calls and missed incoming calls. I don't know what's changed, except I'm at home more now.

I'm familiar with crowdsourcing. I just think it will be funny when AT&T's servers crash now that their customers have a direct link to vent their frustrations.

The last six months with AT&T have been so bad I've reverted back to 2g to help with dropped calls and missed incoming calls. I don't know what's changed, except I'm at home more now.

If you still have a 3G or 3GS you can reformat it and that will help. You can also disable 3G on the iPhone. Like I said in my last post, it's not just the carrier. It's also a problem with the firmware on the iPhone. And remember, firmware 3.1.1 was released about 6 months ago. It has a memory leak.

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't clear. I have disabled 3g on the iPhone because the service has become so bad. It's a p.i.t.a. to have to go back and switch it on every time I need to access data because the Edge network is so slow.

Whatever the issue is, it is inexcusable. I can't go a day now without a dropped call, and I'm not someone who spends hours of time on the phone involved with inane chatter.

I get enough inane chatter here on the .org. :rofl:

Turning off the 3G option increases the time before the memory leak becomes a problem. It will still happen, but it takes much, much longer before it will become problematic. I wish Apple would fix the memory leak on the current firmware. Then the iPhone would be a top notch phone again.

I think the app is a GREAT IDEA. May lead to self improvement!

Turning off the 3G option increases the time before the memory leak becomes a problem. It will still happen, but it takes much, much longer before it will become problematic. I wish Apple would fix the memory leak on the current firmware. Then the iPhone would be a top notch phone again.

I've been selling the iphone for 2 years now, thats the first I have heard about memory link with the iphone, I know blackberrys are proned to this but not the iphone!

I've been selling the iphone for 2 years now, thats the first I have heard about memory link with the iphone, I know blackberrys are proned to this but not the iphone!

I have an HTC Tilt that uses 3G and drops calls less than either of the iPhones I have. My iPhone was comparable to the Tilt for reliability up until firmware 3.1.0 was released. Now I need to power down my iPhone every 2 or 3 days to keep it reliable. That behavior is just like a memory leak. Just because it's not recognized by Apple, doesn't mean it's not a leak.

I have an HTC Tilt that uses 3G and drops calls less than either of the iPhones I have. My iPhone was comparable to the Tilt for reliability up until firmware 3.1.0 was released. Now I need to power down my iPhone every 2 or 3 days to keep it reliable. That behavior is just like a memory leak. Just because it's not recognized by Apple, doesn't mean it's not a leak.

Is there not a appl, on my blackberry theres a appl called quick pull which simualate the phone being powered off then cut on!

I haven't seen an app like that for the iPhone. It takes about 2 minutes to power down and restart my 3GS. It works like new for a few more days each time I reboot it. It's like it is the Windows from Apple phone. :laugh:

Remarkably the Windows Mobile 6.0 phones I have used didn't exhibit the classic "reboot to fix" behavior that Windows became so famous for. :whistle:

I'm curious what level of signal strength others see when they do a field test?

My iPhone will show 4-5 bars consistently when in 3g mode, yet the field test consistently shows signal levels of -95 to -103. This is with the phone lying on a table. The numbers tend to drop further when the phone is held normally.

In 2g mode, the signal levels typically run -87 to -93. This yields a significant improvement in reliability from my experience.

To access the field test mode go to the phone's dial pad and enter *3001#12345#* and "call". The phone will enter field test mode and display signal strength in the upper left corner. To exit, just press the home button.

I haven't seen an app like that for the iPhone. It takes about 2 minutes to power down and restart my 3GS. It works like new for a few more days each time I reboot it. It's like it is the Windows from Apple phone. :laugh:

Remarkably the Windows Mobile 6.0 phones I have used didn't exhibit the classic "reboot to fix" behavior that Windows became so famous for. :whistle:

I agree with u on this one, havent sold any new phones that have the 6.0 to really see how they hold up!

Back