Asbestos Exposure

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I did the stock pipe mod on my K8 over the weekend, (posted in 2008 section). I had to remove some of the fiberglass in the muffler, I used a 3M face mask to minimize what I breathed. I'm sure no asbestos in this muffler.

This brought up memories, as a child seeing my father construct ovens using Asbestos insulation. These ovens were used to bake enamel coatings on resistors that his company made.

Most of what I was exposed to was not very "friable" but still had some friable other exposure. Not so long ago asbestos was the stuff to use.

My exposure was minimal compared to many others, anyone else have any stories?

When I was an apprentice, one of my jobs was to beat the asbestos insulation off of the electrical pipes in substations we were wrecking out. Did not know at the time the stuff was bad for you.

When I was an apprentice, one of my jobs was to beat the asbestos insulation off of the electrical pipes in substations we were wrecking out. Did not know at the time the stuff was bad for you.

Wow, yep, none of us knew then.

I was made aware of asbestos issues in the early 70's by a shop instructor... he warned us up and down about this as brakes in cars were still largely composed of asbestos fiber..

Always took precautions when grinding shoes (yep, we had to grind shoes way back then :laugh:)

Funny thing is, most anyone/everyone that was on the roads at that time were exposed to asbestos fibers as they came out of the brake assemblies of the cars going down the road..

Seems that just like smoking, some are more susceptible to the issues where others can breath the stuff all day and walk away..

It wasn't too long ago that I remember getting asbestos brake pads for my dirt bike. Talk about "new old stock"!

Back