Army made me move

mitchluv1

Registered
Well folks like the title said. The Army made me from the great state of Tenn. to Niagara Falls, NY. Got a ROTC instructor position at Niagara Univ. Hopefully me and the misses can finish up our degrees. Boy the weather here is totally different from what I (we) were use to LOL. Any locals want to show me where the good roads are at. I m on Grand Island.

If you have never lived north of Tenn. you are in for a winter like you have never seen.

One good thing is, in the snow belt all these states have the equipment to remove the snow, but you still have to
shovel your own driveway and the approach that the snow plows fill up. If you don't have a driveway you still have to scrape your vehicle off. :laugh:
Get your riding in now as snow can come as early as Oct. many years. I hope you have a garage for your bike at least.

You mentioned that the weather was different and this is Aug. Just giving you a heads up if you think this is different.

Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com or something like that is a good source to find good roads to ride - just in case you don't get the replies you hoped for.

Good luck adapting to your new environment. It might very well make you aware of the shorter riding season and how precious that time is.
If your close to Niagara you may also find out what humidity is. :rofl:

Congrats and welcome to Western NY. Besides the taxes and gun laws it's not to bad a place to live. If you're creative there is some alright riding to be had but it takes time to figure it all out. Unfortunately you're in a pretty flat land area........ Home for me isn't to far south of you and we seem to migrate into Pennsylvania & go to the Finger Lakes for day trips when I'm stateside.

Hook up with some local riders and hopefully they can take care of you.

Sounds like a good move for you career wise. Working at a college and living in a college town sounds fun to me anyway. I personally love the winters. Like Redbusarider makes you appreciate the 5 months of riding you do get. Winter is good time to service the bike too. Kind of a forced hiatus if you will. I ice fish and cross country ski. You have to find hobby to look forward to and keep you busy. Good like with you new place and job!

congrats on the new position but i'm sorry about where you are stationed (coming from a guy who lived in Michigan for ten years and hopes to never be north of St. Louis between Nov. and April ever again!)...there is some beautiful country in the Fall within riding distance, hope you adapt to the new area and enjoy it thoroughly :beerchug:

First, and most important, thanks for your service. Second, maybe you'll enjoy the change of seasons in the Northeast. You can't ride all year long, but you'll find other things to keep you busy in the winter. Makes you appreciate a good day to ride even more.

thanks for the replies, the only chance I had to get on the ol girl so far was getting her off the back of the truck (lol). big thanks go to the H-D dealership in Buffalo they were kind enough to help me unload and keep the bike there for a few hours. (had some errands to run and it was drizzling some). The advice they gave me was watch out for the pot hole, soccer moms and Tina the texting teenager.

Yes I believe that pot holes in the snow belt are worse than where you are coming from.
You will get your first real good taste of them next spring, just about the time you want to start riding again.
I'm going to assume that TN gets some snow but the amount and length of the season are much less.

People that text while driving are everywhere, so that should be a given.
I'm sure you have heard to ride like you are invisible. Real easy to forget that rule. Myself included.

Now get out and ride. Only about 2 months left. :laugh:

Look on the bright side: The Army allows you to see the world :)

Back