Armed Man in Bulldozer

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
GRANBY, Colo. - A man who lost two bitter battles with town officials plowed an armor-plated bulldozer into the town hall, a former mayor's home and at least five other buildings before the machine ground to a halt in the wreckage of a warehouse, authorities said.

No injuries were reported in the rampage Friday, but officials declined to comment on the condition of the bulldozer driver, identified by the town manager as muffler shop owner Marvin Heemeyer.

Heemeyer was still inside the bulldozer's cab early Saturday. City officials said he was angry over a zoning dispute and fines from city code violations at his business.

Authorities detonated three explosions and fired at least 200 rounds against the heavy steel plates welded to the bulldozer. The first two detonations failed; the results of the third were not immediately known.

Undersheriff Glen Trainor said the dozer's armor plates consisted of two sheets of half-inch steel with a layer of concrete between them.

Grand County Emergency Management Director Jim Holahan said Heemeyer was armed with a .50-caliber weapon but appeared to be deliberately avoiding injuring anyone.

Residents of this mountain tourist town of 2,200 described a bizarre scene as the bulldozer slowly crashed through buildings, trees and lampposts, with dozens of officers walking ahead or behind it, firing into the machine and shouting at townspeople to flee.

"It looked like a futuristic tank," said Rod Moore, who watched the dozer rumble past within 15 feet of his auto garage and towing company.

One officer, later identified as Trainor, was perched on top, firing shot after shot into the top and once dropping an explosive down the exhaust pipe.

"He just kept shooting," Moore said. "The dozer was still going. He threw what looked like a flash-bang down the exhaust. It didn't do a thing."

A flash-bang produces a blinding flash and earsplitting boom designed to stun a suspect.

"Gunfire was just ringing out everywhere," said Sandra Tucker, who saw the bulldozer begin the rampage from her office on Main Street. "It sounded to me like an automatic rifle, firing about every second."

At least 40 deputies, Colorado State Patrol officers, federal park and forest rangers and a SWAT team from nearby Jefferson County were at the scene.

Town manager Tom Hale said Heemeyer was angry after losing a zoning dispute that allowed a cement plant to be built near his muffler shop. Heemeyer also was fined $2,500 in a separate case for not having a septic tank and for other city code violations at his business, Hale said.

When he paid the fine, he enclosed a note with his check saying "Cowards," Hale said.

"We felt he was venting his frustration that he didn't get his way," Hale said of the note. "We didn't think he was going to do something like this."

Trainor said he believes Heemeyer spent months armoring the bulldozer, and investigators were looking into whether he had help.

Hale said owners of all the buildings that were damaged had some connection to Heemeyer's disputes.

The buildings included the cement plant, a utility company, a bank, a newspaper office, a hardware store and warehouse, the home of former Mayor L.R. "bobo" Thompson and the municipal building, which also housed a library.

Crumpled patrol cars and service trucks lay in the dozer's path. A pickup was folded nearly in half and had been rammed through the wall of a building.

Gov. Bill Owens traveled Friday night to Granby, about 50 miles west of Denver and 10 miles south of Rocky Mountain National Park.

State aid will be available to help rebuild local government buildings, and state officials will help businesses seek federal help, said Mike Beasley, director of the state Department of Local Affairs.

William Hertel, owner of High Altitude Audio, said the bulldozer drove by his business at mid-afternoon, crushing aspen trees and light poles after the rampage began around 3 p.m.

"I was up on the roof when he came by. I got down and got my wife and kids out of the back of the building," Hertel said. He said he had heard numerous shots.

The scene was reminiscent of a 1998 rampage in Alma, another town in the Colorado Rockies. Authorities said Tom Leask shot a man to death, then used a town-owned front-end loader to heavily damage the town's post office, fire department, water department and town hall.

BULLDOZER_RAMPAGE2.jpg

Anyone who has ever dealt with Codes Enforcement in most any jurisdiction can feel the poor guy's pain.
biggrin.gif
Looks like he done a hell of a job armorin' that damn tank! All they had to do to stop it was bust a track off of it though. They prolly didn't have the firepower to even do that though.
rock.gif

Looks like a D-5 or D-6.
You'd have a hell of a time stopping that thing.
Best chance you'd have would be to flip it over with a huge wheel loader, like a 992.....they're a little hard to come by though or a 300 plus series excavator.
You'd have a hell of a time bustin that track off....I've worked on these things before, and it's an unholy nightmare gettin the tracks off.
He sure was serious about that armour though hey......looks like he was completely encased.
Wonder what the front looks like, where he sees through.
Kinda surprised one of the cops didn't just jump on and shoot him through the site hole.

I don't know why the cops didn't just load him up with some tear gas.. not very likely he's got a gas mask in that thing. Couple minutes in that stuff and he'd surrender. Tear gas = no fun.. I've been in that crap before.

si.

i wish i could do that.guy had balls.but the problem is he wont be doing any riding (if he did before)for a lond time.i feel for him

I would not totally count out him having a gas mask. It seems he put a lot of thought and time into this project. I mean come on, 1/2 inch steel, then concrete and then more 1/2 inch steel? the guy knew what he was doing.

It did what he intended it to do. it probably stopped because he chose not to continue, I would say he accomplished what he set out to do and stopped.

Of course what government entity is going to be prepared in a small town like that to disable something that was built the way the guy built it.

I am just glad no one got hurt. I would say he made his point, no one was hurt and maybe it will make a few people think about things.

One of the problems today, you can just go around screwing people and not expect someone to snap once in awhile.

Anyone ever see the movie falling down? it is in all of us, just waiting to come out. Just waiting for that last straw to fall..... just waiting for that bottle of scope in the mail.....just waiting.. lurking in the depths of our soul to be released and to rain terror down upon EVERYONE!!!! MUAH HA HA HA HA

ehem.. ok, I am better now,, I think
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086472211 -->

I don't know why the cops didn't just load him up with some tear gas.. not very likely he's got a gas mask in that thing.  Couple minutes in that stuff and he'd surrender.  Tear gas = no fun.. I've been in that crap before.

si.
Yeah, I was thinkin' they maybe could have loaded that thing with pepper spray...

I would not totally count out him having a gas mask. It seems he put a lot of thought and time into this project. I mean come on, 1/2 inch steel, then concrete and then more 1/2 inch steel? the guy knew what he was doing.

It did what he intended it to do. it probably stopped because he chose not to continue, I would say he accomplished what he set out to do and stopped.

Of course what government entity is going to be prepared in a small town like that to disable something that was built the way the guy built it.

I am just glad no one got hurt. I would say he made his point, no one was hurt and maybe it will make a few people think about things.

One of the problems today, you can just go around screwing people and not expect someone to snap once in awhile.

Anyone ever see the movie falling down? it is in all of us, just waiting to come out. Just waiting for that last straw to fall..... just waiting for that bottle of scope in the mail.....just waiting.. lurking in the depths of our soul to be released and to rain tower down upon EVERYONE!!!! MUAH HA HA HA HA

ehem.. ok, I am better now,, I think
biggrin.gif
Yeah, he did put a lot of thought, planning, and effort into his "mission". Wouldn't be surprised if he had a mask in there.

And yeah, the movie Falling Down was a good one. He fugged uip some folks!
wink.gif

Authorities detonated three explosions and fired at least 200 rounds against the heavy steel plates welded to the bulldozer.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, the above line just made me think WTF? Didn't catch it the first time I read the report, but what kind of cops just keep fuggin' pluggin' away for 200 rounds when they are obviously ineffective from the start. Did they think they'd luck up and get a round to penetrate? Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!!!
guns.gif
drooling3.gif

not to jack the post but i saw this on yahoo
GRANBY, Colo. - A muffler shop owner who plowed a makeshift armored bulldozer into several buildings after a dispute with city officials was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after a SWAT team cut their way into the machine early Saturday, authorities said

he got the last laugh
fuged them up and he didnt even get punished for it
sad.gif

he got his point across
i wish there were more pics
of the dozer
i heard a few years back when i was doing long haul trucking of a dude form bobo simion trucking (i think??) running his truck in to city haul right after he filled up with fuel and a full load behind him.
took it down main street and put it in to 10th gear and bam! right up the stairs and in the buliding then blew up

any way didnt want to hi jack
but i just remembered that

thanks for the post that was intersting to say the least

It was crazy watching it live on the news. It was a D-8 bulldozer. They couldn't do anything to stop it. When he was driving thru the last building some debris fell and choked the engine. Then they were worried that it may have been booby trapped!

Back