Arizona riding

mkeschinger

Registered
ok, I have an 05 in Tucson AZ. Temps have been insane. 113-117, but I still ride. Thankful for mesh jackets. My question-the bike seems to be running hotter. Meaning giving off more heat around the leg area. Checked coolant level- fine. Temp gauge is reading normal - below the half way mark a little. What am I missing? OR am I just noticing it more and this is common.
Much respect,
m

to keep cool on hot days, I used to soak a t-shirt in cold water, put it on, then put on a mesh jacket. That kept me cool for an hour or two.

If the bike is ok, it is just you noticing the heat from the bike because it so darn hot. Get you some perforated leather and you will be cooler. Also suggest wearing a wet t-shirt like Mr Droo stated under the leather.

The reason is, leather will keep you from drying out and keep the sun off of you, when you are moving, you will not dry out as fast as you will in a mesh jacket. I didnt believe this until I tried it. Works well up to 105, about the hottest I have seen in OK.

ok, I have an 05 in Tucson AZ. Temps have been insane. 113-117, but I still ride. Thankful for mesh jackets. My question-the bike seems to be running hotter. Meaning giving off more heat around the leg area. Checked coolant level- fine. Temp gauge is reading normal - below the half way mark a little. What am I missing? OR am I just noticing it more and this is common.
Much respect,
m

What you are noticing is "normal" in that the fan is pulling hotter air through the radiator to keep things cool. The air temp coming off the asphalt is much warmer still than the ambient air temp also. When the temps go back down you should notice less of the hot air blast. I had the same question when summer hit and I was living down in Sierra Vista... wow it was hot. Just don't be silly and decide to ride w/o gear. I know riders from Phoenix area put their bikes up during summer like the rest of the US does in the winter. Good luck and enjoy.

Back