Argghhh!  You believe it!!

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
This morning I was going for a ride in the local canyons and noticed a small(3-5drops) puddle of oil coming from the oil drain plug on the garage floor.  
mad.gif

Last summer, I had stripped the oil pan a little, took the oil pan to a dealership's recommended repair shop, and had a heli-coil installed.  I've done an oil change since, and it has not leaked at all(I use a torque wrench).  Its unlikely the heli-coil just failed since it has worked properly after an oil change.

I had just had a 30k service completed a week ago and now it looks to me like they overtorqued the drain plug
mad.gif
 They had already screwed up on a couple minor things that I caught when I picked it up, but the disturbing part was that they knew they had made mistakes and they said nothing.  Basically covered it up and hoped I wouldn't notice.  This makes 3 screw ups from that service.

Now I'm TRYING to be understanding and realize mistakes happen.  But now I can't decide how I want to proceed.  I called the dealership and the guy only said bring it in and I'll take a look at it.  
rock.gif

Here's my dilema;
1)I have them fix/replace my oil pan, assuming they will, and risk them screwing something else up.  To drop the oil pan you have to unistall the headers/pipes and an oil line that connects to the oil pan.

2)They give me the oil pan gasket and oil line o-ring.  I drop the oil pan myself, and they pay to have it fixed/replaced.  I have to spend time working on my bike but at least I know it'll be done right.  Plus the dealership may not accept this option.

3)I say, screw it!!  Fix it myself with no help from them and never go back to them again.

Assuming they will fix the screw up, I just don't know if I want them touching my bike anymore.

What do you guys think??

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138917370 -->

mad.gif

Also, I did grab my torque wrench and it clicked right away on the drain plug, so its not loose.

Personally, I've had enough bad experiences with bike dealerships that I do all my own servicing now (including the 600 mile one.)

I'd recommend you do it yourself, but I'm biased.

I'm sure there are others here who'll tell you to make them do the repairs, but I'd be concerned about them scratching your fairing, rounding off some bolts, forgetting to put something back etc.

It depends on who does the work, the experienced "real" mechanic who takes pride in his work, or the new person who doesn't know/care what they're doing.

Find another pan and install. I'll check around for you.

another thing....I've never used a torque wrench for this just hand tight then a quarter turn...maybe i'm wrong here

heli coils kinda sug. Good in a pinch,but usually you can't torque the bolt the same as a stock bolt,it just wont take it.Its the endless problem of a steel bolt in cheap alluminum.

I would have them make it right by giving you a new pan,but install it yerself. End of story...then never go back.

RSD.

i gota say do it yourself, it,s a pain i know......... but there no way i,d let them f**k with it again..... if you do it you know it,s done rite....
wink.gif
but id still look for them to hand up the part,s free.....

Bummer deal, Sounds to me like you should complain until you get something from the service provider. Then whatever you get apply that towards replacing the pan yourself. Just a thought.

I knew there wasn't something right about that dealership. For darn sure I ain't taking the Busa back there again...

WooooHooooo, I just hit 3500 post's... sorry for the lame thread jack Charles
biggrin.gif

I would fix it myself,I dont like outhers working on my bikes.Nobody cares about your bike as much as you do.I would check that crush washer on there for the hell of it maybe it just worn out.Just a thought.

stick it to them bro, they won't use any lube on you when you go there. Now you gave them in your grasp, take it to them!

Charles change the "crush" washer on the drain plug...if the torque wrench clicked at the right setting the plug is not stripped....they probably reused the old washer and it did not seal properly
wink.gif

If your quick enough you can pull the drain plug....plug the hole with your finger...change the washer with your other hand....reinstall the plug with the new washer....retorque and top off the oil....you shouldn't lose more than half a quart.

Do this with a cold engine....you could also just buy 4 quarts  
wink.gif

wink.gif

Charles change the "crush" washer on the drain plug...if the torque wrench clicked at the right setting the plug is not stripped....they probably reused the old washer and it did not seal properly
wink.gif

If your quick enough you can pull the drain plug....plug the hole with your finger...change the washer with your other hand....reinstall the plug with the new washer....retorque and top off the oil....you shouldn't lose more than half a quart.

Do this with a cold engine....you could also just buy 4 quarts  
wink.gif
They charged me for a new crush washer on the bill. I'll be pissed if they didn't replace the old one
mad.gif
, but happy if its that easy of a fix
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

The person that does the service is usually not the one that writes up the bill...they are supposed to change the washer....but did they....did it seal properly ?

Take care of it yourself. Put a new teflon washed on adn use teflon on the plug. see if that stops it. If you still get a leak (which I do not think you will then do a elf tap plug. Why go back to some place that can not be honest.

Back