Are your new tires really new?

How many check the date your tires were made when you buy new tires?

I just bought a brand new rear tire for my busa and i just checked when it was made.... 42 week of 2012. I think thats October 2012...

Is there anything wrong with that? Just wondering how long a tire can sit before it goes bad...

Not a tire expert but if they look new, no cracking in sidewall, soft and flexible I'd say good to go. One good thing about a Busais the rear tire doesn't last long. :laugh:

Folks get to caught up in tire dates. Most manufacturers guarantee their tires for six years even if you have them mounted on a bike that never sees the inside of a garage. Mother natures elements is what takes it toll on tires. If stored in a cool dark place such as your garage tires last a long time. I had a Dunlop 207 laying around my garage for 11 years. I was torn as to whether to throw that puppy in the fire or mount it and see how it performed. My curiosity got the best of me so I wore that puppy out on the rear from shoulder to shoulder and it worked just fine.

If you're buying discounted tires, usually it's because they are several years old already. It should be expected.

3 years never hurt anybody if stored like most of these guys do.

A tire is considered "New" if it hasn't been used, and the date stamp on the DOT (last 4 digits) says the tire is no older than 3 years. Also riders consider, after 7 years the tire is old/worn out and should be replaced. Granted the odds of a busa tire lasting this long are slim!!

-D

Humor has it, that even a Busa garaged, untouched and on stands will shred a rear tire within seven years :whistle:

I said rumor :laugh:

Back