Are these readings normal?

SlimNickel

Registered
I'm trying to narrow-down the problem with my bike not starting and battery drain when I hit the starter button. I recently posted about alternative ways to start a bike, and received some response. I looked in the manual to see if I could troubleshoot the voltage regulator/rectifier. Long-story short, when I hit the starter button, the battery voltage drops from like 12.97 to 6.xxx. I know that's not normal. It was suggested to me that the rectifier could be bad. I tested the relay, and it seems fine. It's send power to the starter, but not enough to turn the engine. I have a Fluke 77/BN multi-meter, and I tried using it to do the diode test on the rectifier. Attached are the pictures from my actual readings and the suggested readings from the manual. Please let me know if this is right or incorrect because I don't have the 09900-25008: multi circuit tester set.

photo-1.JPG

photo-2.JPG

I'm trying to narrow-down the problem with my bike not starting and battery drain when I hit the starter button. I recently posted about alternative ways to start a bike, and received some response. I looked in the manual to see if I could troubleshoot the voltage regulator/rectifier. Long-story short, when I hit the starter button, the battery voltage drops from like 12.97 to 6.xxx. I know that's not normal. It was suggested to me that the rectifier could be bad. I tested the relay, and it seems fine. It's send power to the starter, but not enough to turn the engine. I have a Fluke 77/BN multi-meter, and I tried using it to do the diode test on the rectifier. Attached are the pictures from my actual readings and the suggested readings from the manual. Please let me know if this is right or incorrect because I don't have the 09900-25008: multi circuit tester set.

Looking at the actual readings they seem to be ok, did you replaced the battery? what kind? do you have HID's installed? did you check if the battery is getting the proper voltage while running? did you do a current leak test? check the stator...also check your starter...jump it without using the battery with a 12v battery pack or battery, if you have a 24v battery available you can do it but take it off quick, ground it to the frame and the other connection to the pos on the starter hold the cluth turn it on and it should start, make sure is in neutral cause it will go in any gear....is there anything done to the bike electrically?....ambulance lights??? or anything like it?? I've seen some crazy stuff on busas.....good luck!

If the battery is being charged the charging circuit is working. 6 V drop doesn't sound right and sounds like the battery is the issue. Take it somewhere and get it load tested. Basically that's what you did with the bike and the battery failed, but let a battery guy tell you that.

Regardless of whether the charging circuit is good or not, a battery at ~ 12.8+ should not drop below 9v when the starter is engaged. If it does, that is generally a sign that the battery needs to be replaced.

Looking at the actual readings they seem to be ok, did you replaced the battery? what kind? do you have HID's installed? did you check if the battery is getting the proper voltage while running? did you do a current leak test? check the stator...also check your starter...jump it without using the battery with a 12v battery pack or battery, if you have a 24v battery available you can do it but take it off quick, ground it to the frame and the other connection to the pos on the starter hold the cluth turn it on and it should start, make sure is in neutral cause it will go in any gear....is there anything done to the bike electrically?....ambulance lights??? or anything like it?? I've seen some crazy stuff on busas.....good luck!

I do have HID's..5K, but I have the lights turned off when I try to start it. I haven't done a current leak test, and unfortunately here in Japan, it's hard to find a shop that has the equipment to do a load test on the battery. The starter is brand new. The funny thing is, I had a buddy of mine with an '06 take his battery out and put it in my bike. When I first tried to start it, it wouldn't turn turn-over. When I hooked-up the jumper cables to the car battery...not running of course, it fired right up. I let it run for a minutes, then decided to put my battery back in. Nothing happened. I put his battery back in, and it still wouldn't start even with the jumper cables. No other electrical work done to it. It's like the starter is getting power, just not enough to turn the engine. When I hit the starter button, it bogs down and the gauges reset.

I do have HID's..5K, but I have the lights turned off when I try to start it. I haven't done a current leak test, and unfortunately here in Japan, it's hard to find a shop that has the equipment to do a load test on the battery. The starter is brand new. The funny thing is, I had a buddy of mine with an '06 take his battery out and put it in my bike. When I first tried to start it, it wouldn't turn turn-over. When I hooked-up the jumper cables to the car battery...not running of course, it fired right up. I let it run for a minutes, then decided to put my battery back in. Nothing happened. I put his battery back in, and it still wouldn't start even with the jumper cables. No other electrical work done to it. It's like the starter is getting power, just not enough to turn the engine. When I hit the starter button, it bogs down and the gauges reset.

Based on everything you have stated you need to pull that new starter. It should not pull the battery down like that. To me you have issues with the starter. Are you positive that the installation of the starter was correct ?

:banghead:so you have HID's your stator is most likely fried.....thats your issue...and the battery is not charging cause with a fried stator your not getting enough juice.....

:banghead:so you have HID's your stator is most likely fried.....thats your issue...and the battery is not charging cause with a fried stator your not getting enough juice.....

How expensive and/or hard is it to chcnge the stator? I've had the lights for over a year now, and am always cautious about starting the bike with the lights off. would it take that long for the stator to fail?

I've never heard of HIDs causing a stator failure, but anythings possible. A stator is basically coils of heavy copper. They get damaged in wrecks but that's about it. Anyway there's simple testing in the manual to verify that. HIDs don't really tax the electrical system of the Busa. They will fail bc of the on / off set up of the start sequence and cause issues with the gauge cluster at times, but that's about it.
Do the testing.

NOT A MECHANIC or EE

They will burn your stator...It's rare but it'll happen...seen it....put and add out for one on the wanted section.....you can test it but remember the test you do in the manual it's only static and might test good...since you already changed everything but the stator.....the problem persists......

We seem to be having similar problems. I just tested my regulator too and readings in the 5's. I got no reading were it says approx 1.5. My busa is a stock 06, new battery and it drops to very low volts like yours when I try to start it. I have found that it has a drain on the battery. I disconnected the neg, put the volt meter in between and found a .8ma drain. This is with the bike no running of course. According to the manual if I remember correctly .3ma or less is ok. I am now searching for it. When your bike is running does it show that it is charging? Mine does.... but the battery is going dead while I ride.

Did you put some dialectric grease on the Rectifier connector? That was my problem for about a year before I figured it out.

Russell, I just did today. Its a good idea. I need to correct myself on the Battery Current Leak inspection, Manual states "Leak if...over 3 ma". Not the .3, sorry. I am still reading higher...

Russell, I just did today. Its a good idea. I need to correct myself on the Battery Current Leak inspection, Manual states "Leak if...over 3 ma". Not the .3, sorry. I am still reading higher...

Well firstly I would unplug your gauges and see what kind of reading you get and see if it is over 3ma

Back