Are MREs any good ?

Watch out those things don't last forever....
C rats do. The ones we were eating in Viet Nam in 1968 were packaged in 1941! There were just a few that were eatable if you had heat tabs, but we never did. The spaghetti and meatballs was especially tasty cold. When you opened the can with your P38 can opener, the top half of the can looked like your frypan about an hour or so after cooking bacon, white grease! Mmmmmmmmmmm:laugh:

C rats do. The ones we were eating in Viet Nam in 1968 were packaged in 1941! There were just a few that were eatable if you had heat tabs, but we never did. The spaghetti and meatballs was especially tasty cold. When you opened the can with your P38 can opener, the top half of the can looked like your frypan about an hour or so after cooking bacon, white grease! Mmmmmmmmmmm:laugh:

Mine wern't that damn old, but the greasy top half of the can - yep remember that!

C Rats were the bomb. They were fantastic and we made awesome dinners out of them. From what I've heard, when they went to MREs the quality of food/dining experience really went down hill. I could have lived on C rats for quite awhile! Yum! We had everyone begging for the pound cake it was so good. The crackers were lousy though. The fruit cocktail was always good too. Memories!!

Ya gotta try the MRE cracker challenge. Challenge is to eat all crackers in the package within 2 minutes without a drink to wash it down. I've yet to meet someone who could do it. Talk about cotton mouth!

but seriously I just pillaged them for the candy....
There's a term we used for MRE leftovers from people like you ... Rat Phucked! Like a rat, ya take what you like from the MRE and leave a mess for the next guy. j/k

Ya gotta try the MRE cracker challenge. Challenge is to eat all crackers in the package within 2 minutes without a drink to wash it down. I've yet to meet someone who could do it. Talk about cotton mouth!

There's a term we used for MRE leftovers from people like you ... Rat Phucked! Like a rat, ya take what you like from the MRE and leave a mess for the next guy. j/k

+1 on this! Nothing worse than getting back to your site to find the Rats have opened every freakin' pack to get to the good stuff. Then you gotta line 'em up and do the breath smell test to find who ate the Charms! :laugh:

just got out of the field for 2 weeks...again. never fails i always get the ones that taste horrible, veggie omlet??? no thanks! you can make em all taste better with some jalepino cheese spread and maybe some skittles or M&Ms on the side. goin to mojave viper, 29palms, cali for a month. make sure i eat a good meal before i leave!

If you wanna get fat quick keep eating those MRE's. They are like 4000 calories a pack and are meant to sustain a combat soldier burning mega calories a day.

Novelty, yes, but are not much fun to live on.

12-1400 calories, and I have about six thousand of them sitting outside of this building to verify that. :whistle: People always say they have so many calories, but they're so terribly wrong.

Chicken breast, spaghetti, beef stew are all pretty good. Some of them are downright nasty though. The new ones are a LOT better then the old ones.

Sgt B

Last edited:
Back