Are HID’s still the best option for headlights

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
@fallenarch have you ever seen a bi-xenon projector retrofit in person? The wide spread plus distance I dont think can be beat.
No and I was not implying your setup is not a good one. I was referring to the typical efforts to stick something brighter in the OEM reflector. I don't like HIDs in stock reflectors, that's all I'm saying.

04LE

Registered
No and I was not implying your setup is not a good one. I was referring to the typical efforts to stick something brighter in the OEM reflector. I don't like HIDs in stock reflectors, that's all I'm saying.
Trust me I take no offense. I agree with you on HID in OEM housing can be arguably less safe. High beam becomes crazy angle and the low beams scatter is distracting to on coming cars.

B_radd78

Registered
Do you have any issues with your dash resetting with the hid's hooked up?? I couldn't keep my clock set and was near impossible to get the shift light set and when I did it might last a week or a day but it would eventually reset on me no matter if I used the starter button trick or not. A couple of times when I had both lights with hid's I accidentally hit the flash button and it caused it to reset while I was driving. I ended up going back to the stock bulb till I can find an led to try.
I had all kinds of crazy gauge behavior with a (150w :laugh: ) hid and a bad battery. I had my gauges start or stop working randomly, stick at a set speed or rpm (no officer, i was doing 35 on the freeway, see! :cool:), resetting clock and justing being erratic. All due to low voltage.

Isolated HIDs (switch or a relay like others said) and got a new battery. All was well.

Try during the day with HID lows out and just ride with highbeam on (assuming its not a HID too) or throw stock bulb in and test. Be sure the battery is good as that is a starter killer too.

B_radd78

Registered
Any links or info on the bulbs you used?? Any issue with getting them to fit in place?
Not a fan of refering others to aftermarket stuff from brands outside big names i trust. Go buy this and it fails and you die and we cry.

Read reviews, find stuff others have bought for a busa and use at your own risk.

This you will need for most H7 hids to fit in a busa, this seller has been soild for my orders: H7 HID Bulb Base Spacer Retainer Adapter for Mazda 3 5 6 Miata Mx-5 CX-7 Rx-8 | eBay

LEDs were a pain to fit in the lowbeam, because I didnt know you put the ring in and then the led. Not both assembled at the same time. Then i wasnt as impressed as hid in the same spot, so went back to hid low. Running a 50w ballast also on the right ram air tube. (Still on an external relayed switch)

For the highbeam led i choose one that had a small fan to fit easy, but there is alot of space in that area, so most should fit.

B_radd78

Registered
Trust me I take no offense. I agree with you on HID in OEM housing can be arguably less safe. High beam becomes crazy angle and the low beams scatter is distracting to on coming cars.
I noticed the scatter varies from brand to brand and led vs hid as well. Tested a few varieties. As soon as i posted the other day, i started digging into what goes into a retro. Many more options now as its common place for other makes and models. Time to pickup a headlight housing for a winter project! Content for now...

Latest Bikes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeusqing