Arai or HJC Carbon

(DaCol. @ Jan. 26 2007,23:35)
(05BusaLe @ Jan. 26 2007,17:38)
(DaCol. @ Jan. 26 2007,20:35) Arai for comfort and longevity, HJC for price ! Which means if BOTH fit your head and you want to change every other year go HJC. But if you want a quality, comfortable fit and will keep the Helmet for 5 years, then go ARAI  
beerchug.gif
Why would the HJC have to be replaced before others? I have the all carbon one and also ordered replacement parts and pads for it for when I make the inside stink!
I never said they have to be changed, I said IF you change every two year the buy the HJC. WHY
wink.gif
it's called $$$$$$$ . Why spend $600 or whatever for an Aria you'll only keep 2 years, just spend less for the basicly same helmet. Me, I don't change interiors, I change helmets since ALL helmet manufacturers say 5 years is the max on a helmet for FULL SAFTY. Why, because the crush material starts loosing its crushability the day it come out of the plant. My head is important to me no matter what the Helmet LOOKS  
SHOCKED.gif
 like. I ware it to protect me and look good. So I generally am buying new helmets every three to four years. I also ware a silky so I never get that nasty hair/head smell in the helmet. Silkys are CHEEEEEEEEEEP  
jump9.gif
Ok now I
SHOCKED.gif

About the other stuff inside could HJC change that for me? I am just thinking (typing) out loud! In lets say 4 years.

SHOCKED.gif

(dadofthree @ Jan. 27 2007,00:29) 05BusaLE, great pics  
lurk.gif
 gonna be my next helmet. My CL-15 ( cheapy is noisy ).  
beerchug.gif
Just gotta be real careful you dont forget it on your head, it is so light compared to my old lid RF-7000

I have the HJC carbon and its a good light weight helmet. Its cool (think temperature) but not nearly the quality of the Arai.
Stick with your original plan: Buy the leathers.  
wink.gif

(newmill @ Jan. 26 2007,21:48) I have the HJC carbon and its a good light weight helmet. Its cool (think temperature) but not nearly the quality of the Arai.
Stick with your original plan: Buy the leathers.  
wink.gif
+1 I'll go with that...leather

I also prefer the fit and comfort of the Arai over the HJC, but if you do decide to go HJC, you can get the carbon fiber one brand new off of ebay for less than $300.

(sageronin @ Jan. 27 2007,19:56) I also prefer the fit and comfort of the Arai over the HJC, but if you do decide to go HJC, you can get the carbon fiber one brand new off of ebay for less than $300.
Thanks. I am leaning to get the Arai right now. I haft to go back up there and pick up a part next week so if he still has it I will probably buy it. $300 for an almost new Arai isnt bad, and I have always wanted one. I will get my leathers by the first of March even if I do get this Arai.
smile.gif

Arai !!! Hands Down
super.gif
Mine whistles a little with the visor up but comfortable and light . More expensive than an HJC but so is brain surgery .

Tim...i've all but given up giving anyone advice on helmets because "Fitment" is both so IMPORTANT annnd...SUBJECTIVE.

But for me?...while the HJC Carbon looked damn appealing and was in fact quite light?...the beauty for me ended there as the external vents seemed sorta cheesy (might not be..just my impression) and for me?...it fit fine but the contact points/area of the cheek pads seemed very small...because there simply wasn't much padding/liner in the helmet...(no doubt a weight savings move to further enhance it's lightweight appeal)..and to make things even worse?...the padding that was there felt quite stiff and not so "conforming"...and all the formal reviews of the HJC Carbon pointed out that this helemt was just not loud...but EXTREMELY loud...as one might expect any ultra lightweight and well ventilated helmet to be...imho?...the HJC Carbon is more of a "Race Spec" type helmet than it is a good all around road/sport/street riding helmet.

My latest lid is a Shoei X-11....the fit is fantastic...the aero's are awesome and the ventilation is huge but again?...this is also leaning towards a lightweight race spec lid and if there's one thing i could jade my X11 about?...is it's noise levels....i never even noticed it around town and while on insane varying speed group rides (adrenaline probably had my ear canals blocked) but when i hit the superslabs to drone 2-3 hours north to daytonas biketoberfest?...that's when i noticed my X11 is definantly...loud...but not nearly as loud as an HJC Carbon.

Point being?...even though i'm not much of an arai fan?...if you found a great deal on an arai profile for $300 that fits like a glove?...jump all over it and smile with confidence.

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

your goin to get so many opinions here man......good luck.

my only advice-TRY EVERYTHING ON-TWICE!!!! the fit is the most important part of the sale-dont want a clunky, noisy lid either but if it fits weird-fahgeddaboutit!
I got the new ICON Legion lid from da wifey for my birthday-had it on all of 30 secs to take some pics, n never again-waaaaaaaay too tight for me. Tried on some Shoei's the next day, and fit funny on the sides of my head...then Arai-felt like my chin was almost sticking out the bottom...ended up back with another HJC (have an old CL-14/15 too)-i got the plain Carbon cuz it fits great n is VERY light-les resistance from wind at speed and easier on my neck muscles during long trips...even wore during kart-racing indoors (15-20min trips around the track...got warm, but never HOT) it worx for me.

u have to buy a lid that FITS you, looks cool to YOU, and worx on your budget...quality-wise I dont think anyone here will try to argue HJC is on-par with Arai, but $$ is always a motivating factor. Good luck with your decision.

Couple quick questions? First what is this noise you speak of? are you refering to wind noise? because I dont hear much with my HJC all I hear is the HMF high mounts out back! Now as far as saftey they are all equal arent they dont all lids have to meet the same saftey standards? I will be honest I saw the all carbon HJC and said wow that will match my bike! My old lid was heavy and the new one fits great and is so light!

Just Fer Tim:

here's web-bike-worlds review of the arai profile...sounds like a great road lid and a great deal for the price you mentioned...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/arai-profile/

but for others here who don't have anyone giving away aria's for $300?...i think one of helmets best kept secrets for a great lid at an econo price is shoei's "TZR"....L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Thanks Bill for the link to webworld. I will look it over and see what they have to say. I am almost sure that on Tuesday I will go pick up my almost new Arai for $300. I will probably order a XS liner for it so When Lauren or Halie rides with me they can use it.

My friend that just bought a Honda ST 1300 is getting the HJC carbon off ebay today. He is getting the one like I posted eariler in this thread.

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Tim
smile.gif

Back