Arai helmets

Red05

Donating Member
Registered
I'm considering ordering an Arai Astral-X, which I tried on and found very comfortable. I was wondering...any input on quietness, venting etc?

I own a Astral X and I love it . Lots of venting and light weight. The only draw back is that it whistles when riding with the visor up .

on my 4th arai, this one an rx-7. would not wear anything else. very comfortable, but kinda noisy because of all the vents. if youre looking for a quiet helmet, get something else...but comfort, you wont find anything better.

Thanks, guys. My Shoei whistles with the visor up, too. Quietness is not the most important thing; venting and comfort are. The order is placed
smile.gif

yup whistling is the only problem with mine but i usually pull the visor down to the top of my lip and it quits but i still get good air flow.

"arai" has the historical legend name down pat buuut....

Comfy?...definantly.

Protective?...beyond question.

Cool factor?...way up there.

however....i'd just as soon attempt to skin a live bobcat with a dull potatoe peeler while naked in a phone booth than change visors on an arai helmet.

Their visor system sux....and i feel that....for the price one pays for a top shelf lid these days?...nothing....and i repeat...."NOTHING"...should suck.

arai has not listened to the voice of the consumer for years regarding their rubics cube like (and if ya don't do it right plastic shid inside breaks)...visor...uhem....system?
rock.gif

I bought a QuantumII "Re-Entry" at the helmetshop in daytona about 2 years back....

ARAIRE.jpg

and i loved eveything about the helmet but..."the visor system".

On the other hand?...Shoei listens to the voice of the consumer and delivers....

shoei2.jpg

10 second visor swap...noth'in whistles and absolutely "NOTHING"..."sucks"...about a shoei.

JMHO and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

hmmm, I don't have a problem with the visor, I take mine off all the time to clean the inside. takes me 10 seconds tops to remove it, another 10 seconds to replace it, tops.

(Mr. Anderson @ Sep. 07 2006,14:19) hmmm, I don't have a problem with the visor, I take mine off all the time to clean the inside. takes me 10 seconds tops to remove it, another 10 seconds to replace it, tops.
i know....and everybody who owns an arai will claim how quick and easy changing the visor is...but then?...watch them actually try an do it...and the "Just rip it outta there" sounds will make most shoei owners cringe...i've owned'em all and rode'im all annd...even watched some pro ride/race instructors give a class on (arai visor change out technic)....and i hafta admit..the instructors did pretty good...a couple times. LOL!

The arai visor system is both dated and archaic...and side cover panel visor systems have went the way of buggy whips...except for freaking arai...and again..jmho?...but i'm entitled to it and the original poster asked...and i know him...and i'd highly advise to "HIM" that he refrain from an arai and go shoei if he spending that sorta $$$.

L8R, Bill
cool.gif

An Arai helmet actually came with my Busa when I got it. It was a Med and I take a Lg, but by God if I could have shoehorned it on my skull I would have used it. I think it was the same kind you are looking at. You can see it in the attached pic. It looked like a high quality helmet imo.

BUSAFETT

I've got a Quantum II - Tattoo Silver and love it.

The visor swapping IS a pain the @$$, but I don't do it that often for me to get bent about it.

RX7 Corsair(KRJR) here. Awesome lid! I don't understand how others say this lid is so noisy.It is at least as quiet as my old Signet. I ride with Ear plugs though so it is a moot point. I had an old Signet with the old style Adsis shield system and hated it! But I dont change shields to often so it was easy to overlook. But the new Super Adsis is a whole lot easier to use! In the late summer months now I am changin my shield twice a day and it's a snap.
Now for the complaint. The liner on this one is nowhere near as duarble as my old Signet. Between the velcro on my gloves and the stubble on my cheeks it is looking rough around the opening.

I have been riding with a ARAI RX7 (Roberts Double Eagle) for about 5 yrs, loved the helmet, fit and venting was awesome, I just purchased a Shoei RF-1000 (Picotte 3 TC-5) due to that I can't find a new Arai that I liked for graphic's..... I hope I didn't make a mistake.......

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 07 2006,17:30)
(Mr. Anderson @ Sep. 07 2006,14:19) hmmm, I don't have a problem with the visor, I take mine off all the time to clean the inside. takes me 10 seconds tops to remove it, another 10 seconds to replace it, tops.
i know....and everybody who owns an arai will claim how quick and easy changing the visor is...but then?...watch them actually try an do it...and the "Just rip it outta there" sounds will make most shoei owners cringe...i've owned'em all and rode'im all annd...even watched some pro ride/race instructors give a class on (arai visor change out technic)....and i hafta admit..the instructors did pretty good...a couple times. LOL!

The arai visor system is both dated and archaic...and side cover panel visor systems have went the way of buggy whips...except for freaking arai...and again..jmho?...but i'm entitled to it and the original poster asked...and i know him...and i'd highly advise to "HIM" that he refrain from an arai and go shoei if he spending that sorta $$$.

L8R, Bill
cool.gif
I'm gonna have to disagree with Jinks here, as much as I hate to do it.

I have an Astral X and I resisted having to switch visors - in the beginning. Once I learned to do it (and it did take a little practice) it is one of the coolest features on the helmet. I put the helment on my head, and pop off the clear visor, and pop on the dark visor - takes about 5 seconds, give or take....

I was an Arai helmet guy 'til HelmetHarbor turned me on to the Scorpion brand.  I now sing the Scorpion praises.  If you are a Arai Corsair guy, you owe your wallet to try out the Scorpion EXO 400/700 helmets.  Meets all safety standards and has a very easy and quick visor change mechanism.  You can even do it w/o taking off your helmet.  They are noisy like the Arai. But I also love my Airsoft earplugs.

Back