Arai helmets

2 RX-7's here,very nice lid,but like Bill says,the visor change takes a little while where the shoei is just a few seconds.

Ok, since I have a few new toys, I'm going to show you how easy it is to swap the visor on an Arai.

Yes, it makes some noise. Yes, I'm not pretty. Yes this clip gets cut off at the end.

But yes, Virginia, you CAN swap visors on an Arai quickly and easily - watch this

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of them, and they are all I have ever worn. Dayum good in my book. Would drop $400+ each all over again.

I have one Quantum F (from my Ninja days), and Now I have a 2005 Astral X - Wing (Black)

Arai lessons learned:

Check mfg date stamped on strap ('new' helmets can be a couple years old)

Arai website said warranty void for on-line helmets (but printed Arai warranty card didn't say that)

When a molding fell off (adhesive failure) Arai US was unresponsive (many emails over several months - unlisted phone) and finally useless.

"M" helmets are not allowed by some auto racing associations.

Wow...Great replies! Video of the visor swap and everything
smile.gif
. I ordered an Astral-X with Ice Red graphics, which are 2005 graphics but Arai tells me the helmet is otherwise identical to the '06 models. Can't wait! I inherited a used Shoei RF1000 from a friend, but it doesn't quite fit my head right and it's a little scuffed up. I figured it's about time to get a nice lid.

We should have a "helmet" forum all by it's self.

Moderators?

Great posts by the way. I'm shopping for another helmet myself but don't want the noise. This is a harder choice than I thought.

I like the RX7, Jink's new Shoei..dang..just not sure.

(pward76 @ Sep. 08 2006,04:11) Ok, since I have a few new toys, I'm going to show you how easy it is to swap the visor on an Arai.

Yes, it makes some noise.  Yes, I'm not pretty.  Yes this clip gets cut off at the end.

But yes, Virginia, you CAN swap visors on an Arai quickly and easily - watch this

Mr. Pward.....that was awesome of you to post a video of the arai visor swap-out...odd thing here?...you are "THE" first i've seen do it with the helmet on your head...where it is evident that "THAT" is key...as your head becomes "The Swap-Out Platform"...while i've even seen the instructors WRESTLE with the arai's...one who even accidently pushed the side-clip in before the visor was engaged and spent the next 15 minutes looking for a narrow intrument/tool to reach in behind the side-shield and dig it back out...and it sounded like he was literally tearing the helmets visor dentent guts right out of the helmet..so?...i guess the trick is to keep it on yer head and practice in the mirror but hands down and by far the best arai visor swap-out technic i've ever seen...very cool of you and...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 08 2006,15:17)
(pward76 @ Sep. 08 2006,04:11) Ok, since I have a few new toys, I'm going to show you how easy it is to swap the visor on an Arai.

Yes, it makes some noise.  Yes, I'm not pretty.  Yes this clip gets cut off at the end.

Mr. Pward.....that was awesome of you to post a video of the arai visor swap-out...odd thing here?...you are "THE" first i've seen do it with the helmet on your head...where it is evident that "THAT" is key...as your head becomes "The Swap-Out Platform"...while i've even seen the instructors WRESTLE with the arai's...one who even accidently pushed the side-clip in before the visor was engaged and spent the next 15 minutes looking for a narrow intrument/tool to reach in behind the side-shield and dig it back out...and it sounded like he was literally tearing the helmets visor dentent guts right out of the helmet..so?...i guess the trick is to keep it on yer head and practice in the mirror but hands down and by far the best arai visor swap-out technic i've ever seen...very cool of you and...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Thanks Bill, I appreciate the nice comments.

I am just following your lead in sharing knowlege, although swapping a visor pales in comparison to your "suspension seminars"
wink.gif

I can't actually take credit for the technique, the lady that sold me the helment and spare visor showed it to me. Maybe this will catch on with the "experts"...

Ride safe!

(Cykill @ Sep. 08 2006,19:09) they make good lids, I personally don't like the fit, but nice helms
I know what you mean about "the fit". I guess with all of our differently shaped heads, there should be more than one helmet manufacturer.

(Red05 @ Sep. 08 2006,18:05)
(Cykill @ Sep. 08 2006,19:09) they make good lids, I personally don't like the fit, but nice helms
I know what you mean about "the fit". I guess with all of our differently shaped heads, there should be more than one helmet manufacturer.
Actually, Arai makes helmets in 3 different "head shapes".  The Astral-X is the only one of the 3 that fits my head shape - and no jokes about it having "corners" for my square head.....

(pward76 @ Sep. 09 2006,00:26) Actually, Arai makes helmets in 3 different "head shapes".  The Astral-X is the only one of the 3 that fits my head shape - and no jokes about it having "corners" for my square head.....
I tried on the RX7, which was nice but felt about like the Shoei I wear now. As soon as I put the Astral-X on, I realized how a helmet should feel. The thing fit my melon awesomely, so you're not the only one afflicted with squareheadedness
smile.gif
. I do wish I had tried on BlueHaya's choice, the carbon HJC, but oh well, a person can second guess themselves to death. Here's a pic of the one I ordered.

Arai_helmet.jpg

(Red05 @ Sep. 09 2006,07:03)
(pward76 @ Sep. 09 2006,00:26) Actually, Arai makes helmets in 3 different "head shapes". The Astral-X is the only one of the 3 that fits my head shape - and no jokes about it having "corners" for my square head.....
I tried on the RX7, which was nice but felt about like the Shoei I wear now. As soon as I put the Astral-X on, I realized how a helmet should feel. The thing fit my melon awesomely, so you're not the only one afflicted with squareheadedness
smile.gif
. I do wish I had tried on BlueHaya's choice, the carbon HJC, but oh well, a person can second guess themselves to death. Here's a pic of the one I ordered.
The biggest point to be made here is that you absolutely must try em on to find which helmet (brand, model etc.) fits you the best! End of the day when you smack that big egg sack on the end of your neck on something hard and fast you have to have a good fitting helmet to do the job it was intened for. Vents, shields, etc are all great but get the fit right first.

Cool video btw! Never tried that before I usually just sit mine on a table facing away from me. But I will have to try that.

(bigoltool @ Sep. 09 2006,08:27)
(Red05 @ Sep. 09 2006,07:03)
(pward76 @ Sep. 09 2006,00:26) Actually, Arai makes helmets in 3 different "head shapes".  The Astral-X is the only one of the 3 that fits my head shape - and no jokes about it having "corners" for my square head.....
smile.gif
The biggest point to be made here is that you absolutely must try em on to find which helmet (brand, model etc.) fits you the best! End of the day when you smack that big egg sack on the end of your neck on something hard and fast you have to have a good fitting helmet to do the job it was intened for. Vents, shields, etc are all great but get the fit right first.

Cool video btw! Never tried that before I usually just sit mine on a table facing away from me. But I will have to try that.
let us know how it goes, Big.....

It really is pretty easy once you learn that all that noise doesn't mean you are breaking the visor
laugh.gif

Back