Arai Breath Deflector

Big E

Donating Member
Registered
Okay okay its not a mod to the busa but it is to my helmet.
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
I was wondering if anyone else was using one of arai's racing breath deflector? What do you think about it? Are there any other alternatives to the breath guard for arai helmets? Anyone know if arai makes the breath guard in another material other then cloth? Here are a few pics.

araiB2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the smaller air deflector is what came with the RX7-RR4 originally.

Breath_comparision1.jpg

here is a shot of the stock air deflector

araistock.jpg

I put the breath deflector on my shoei and I hated it. the problem was that the air that leaked through the shield was deflected right into my eyes, causing my eyes to constantly tear up and become irritated. I like the way it looked, because it almost looks like you're wearing a fighter pilot mask, but it caused too much discomfort.

the reason most people use them is because of shield fogging. If that's the case, simply take you lens off, clean it with warm water and toothpaste, then apply some No-Fog spray to the inside of the lens, and buff it with a tshirt. you can usually buy no-fog spray anywhere, Sports Authority sells Speedo No-Fog in the diving section for snorkle masks. It works awesome on helmet lenses. Any sports/diving will sell no fog. Spray it on, and buff it good with a tshirt so you dont get a smearing effect.

I think I rambled too much

Mike

I like to ride with my visor cracked open just a bit. But with my shoei helmet the air seems to go right up my nose drying it out. I would try a breath deflector to stop this but if it is like mikeyusf says, and it deflects the air into your eyes, I don't think I would like that even more.

Arai's deflectors work well only with people that fit it perfectly. I just keep mine off and use the chin vent on open position one. That directs the air at the screen. As far as defogger, don't buy that stuff. It works for 1 day. Use the old way that scuba divers invented a millenia ago. Take the shield off and spit on it, then wipe it all over and then till it is clear. It won't fog and it is dead cheap. It also cleans the bugs off the outer side too. I am not joking, I used to carry the other stuff, but found my spit more effective. Sounds gross, but works very well. Wax the outside shield as well with a thin polish that you use on the bike. It is the same thing rainX is, but you can use 1 wax for all your needs.

You guys just don't know how much you all helped me with this situation. I stopped wearing my tinted shield because of the constant fogging; especially at night. I currently use my clear shield, but I have the same problems. Will definitely try what you guys suggest. Also, I tried the spray-on defogger and it doesn't work worth a crap.

Brian

damn sorry the de-fog spray didnt work for you. I snort like a rhino in heat, and fog my masks up really bad. I use to use this spray from JT for paintball masks, but I ran out. The stuff I bought from Sports Authority called Speedo No-Fog works awesome for me. I'll breathe right on the lens from an inch away, and it doesnt fog at all. I spray it on, and rub it in really good with a clean t-shirt. I've had great luck with it, so I always use it my shield and my wife's shield. I have noticed that if you dont rub it in really well with a tshirt, it will oil up your lens really bad. If you just spray it on, gently wipe it off, it's like you poured suntan oil on your lens. But other than that it works great for me

Mike

I love my Arai breath deflector...Apparently it fiits my face fine....the helmet (Quantum/F) on the other hand I could live with out...

The deflector fixed by fog problems perfectly and I stopped my glasses from fogging too...can't ge much better than that.

You guys just don't know how much you all helped me with this situation.  I stopped wearing my tinted shield because of the constant fogging; especially at night.  I currently use my clear shield, but I have the same problems.  Will definitely try what you guys suggest.  Also, I tried the spray-on defogger and it doesn't work worth a crap.

Brian
Ba...I see so many guys ride with the tinted sheild and then night comes. Why would anyone want to carry a second shield. We have even go so far as to ask Vanson to install a pocket that fits a sheild into the lining on the side of our bodies. Great idea, but mute point when you carry SUNGLASSES! I have a pair of Varnet's. The are amber tint and wire framed. They cover my entire eye. They slide into my helmet with no discomfort. At night I remove them and I have a clear screen. Seems so simple to me. Carry an extra sheild is far more complicated.

for those of us that wear corrective glasses, AND like to have a dark shield so nobody can see your mug, we are still in limbo. I am tempted however to try the addition that Ninja Eater did.

for those of us that wear corrective glasses, AND like to have a dark shield so nobody can see your mug, we are still in limbo. I am tempted however to try the addition that Ninja Eater did.
If you don't wht to try the Photogrey. her eis another one that works well.

I use Limo tint extar dark. Cut to fit inside your helmet. At night just peel off and roll up to place in your pocket. Woops it cut messed up. Don't fear a roll will last you a year or more. Andded security for your mug place over a dark shield, and you will look like Darth Vader.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back