Apparently ur Pretty Safe From Iightning in a Plane

There is too much energy in a bolt of lightning for that to be real. I am not saying it didnt happen because anything is possible. But the plane would basically be like a bird on a wire, isolated, not insulated.

There would be an entry burn and definitely an exit burn. Planes get hit. Usually minor damage. They have a special inspection procedure in the mm for lighting strike inspections. Not uncommon.

A quick science lesson for ya.
When you are talking about cloud to ground lightning (not cloud to cloud) there are two types.; natural, and artificial. Natural is caused from things that are part of the natural environment and the charges that cause the strike are natural, like when a tree is struck in a thunder storm. Artificial is when a man made item like a building or a plane is struck, and it is considered to be ‘’triggered’’ lightning. It’s not uncommon at all for planes to get hit by lightning. The bolt ‘s origin place is also different between the two types. In natural lightning the bolt started in the cloud and came down to strike the tree. In artificial or triggered lightning the bolt started from the object (in this case the plane) and went to the cloud AND to the ground. That was also a single bolt, not two. The reason lightning flashes is because the electricity is trying to equalize. It will bounce back and forth (or up and down) from the source to the cloud (or vice versa) multiple times in a split second until both charges are equal again. It happens so quickly that we refer to it as a flash. Just like when you toss a rock into a pond the waves dissipate outward until the energy is gone.

Scary looking! I'm glad I wasn't on the plane to experience that so up close and personal :laugh:

There would be an entry burn and definitely an exit burn. Planes get hit. Usually minor damage. They have a special inspection procedure in the mm for lighting strike inspections. Not uncommon.
Oh yeah it's kind of common and I hate doing lighting strike inspections. Tip to tail looking for burn marks. Most of the time it is just a matter of buffing them out but sometimes it's bad enough that we have to do repairs. Most of the repairs consist of drilling a small hole and putting a rivet in it and your done. If there are more then one arch mark in a given area then we have to do a sheet metal repair. All aircraft structures are boned and have static discharge wicks at key points to lessen the effects of lighting strikes.

lightningstrike.jpg

There is too much energy in a bolt of lightning for that to be real. I am not saying it didnt happen because anything is possible. But the plane would basically be like a bird on a wire, isolated, not insulated.

Well I can believe it got hit and nothing happened, people have been hit by lightning and lived even though though some of their cloths caught on fire, while others didn't make it and were barely recognizable after.... Even paused and slowed hard for to me to tell it got hit :down: could be my eyes going on me I am pretty old and reluctant to admit I need glasses already :laugh:

Back