Anyone with Carpenter racing motors?

dolilind

Registered
Anyone have a carpenter 1397, 1430 or the 240hp+ kits on the street?
Rode a turbo busa over the weekend its nice but im starting to think im a motor guy. Yeah the spooling is cool. But i like the snap of compression. And the instant throttle response of the motor bikes.

Their product looks quality to me, but a trip to the east coast for the flow work is my problem.

A trip to the east isnt my problem, i grew up out there. Just want the goods, and a 14 hour ride will be worth it.
If it is good stuff.

(nitrousjunkie @ Aug. 19 2007,12:48) Those are some of the best built!
+1 on Carpenter
super.gif

I've worked with Bob for my engines. His head work is one of the best. You would be surprised how many guys run his head. Always gotten top notch service from him and his crew. I've always been satisfied when dealing with him. PM me if you want more details.

(dolilind @ Aug. 26 2007,09:00) Why not?
you got a good builder right in your neighborhood,let me talk with him.

what exactly are you looking for hp wise and you want streetability right?

Right, need streetable and as much power as can get. 1397-1430 or such. Carpenter say its possible to get 240+ out of the 1430 kit and still ride on the streets so thats a good start.

(dolilind @ Aug. 26 2007,15:26) Right, need streetable and as much power as can get. 1397-1430 or such. Carpenter say its possible to get 240+ out of the 1430 kit and still ride on the streets so thats a good start.
do you believe that 240 # off of pump gas for a 1430?  
laugh.gif
If you do have them build one and prove it by pouring gas you buy from the pump into the bike when you pick it up..

If you want some realistic $'s this is not the hp word but what your most likely to see..I have nothing to gain or loose by showing you the truth...

mild 1397=190-195
hot 1397=195-205
race fueled 1397=205-220(if lucky)
mild 1430 =200-205
hot 1430=205-215
race fueled 1430=215-240(if lucky)

I would definetly take goldenchild's advice seriously. From everything that I have seen in terms of actual at the wheel #'s, what he says is spot on! I trust his opinion when it comes to power. When it is time for me to step up to NOS (most likely), or a bigger motor, he is the man i am going to see first.
bowdown.gif

(GoldenChild @ Aug. 26 2007,20:31)
(dolilind @ Aug. 26 2007,15:26) Right, need streetable and as much power as can get. 1397-1430 or such. Carpenter say its possible to get 240+ out of the 1430 kit and still ride on the streets so thats a good start.
do you believe that 240 # off of pump gas for a 1430?  
laugh.gif
If you do have them build one and prove it by pouring gas you buy from the pump into the bike when you pick it up..

If you want some realistic $'s this is not the hp word but what your most likely to see..I have nothing to gain or loose by showing you the truth...

mild 1397=190-195
hot 1397=195-205
race fueled 1397=205-220(if lucky)
mild 1430 =200-205
hot 1430=205-215
race fueled 1430=215-240(if lucky)
+1

I agree that carpenter's numbers are with U4.2 in the tank. In Bob's defense, he doesn't like to strictly talk hp numbers but he does understand that many people only focus on the max hp. So that's what he gives you.

The most power on the street using pump gas and being able to ride all day and remain reliable for 40k is gonna be around the 200hp mark (that's SAE at the wheel average for a greedy or happy dyno). Above that number is gonna be either a bigger motor and/or race gas and/or seasonal valve spring replacement.

Personaly I think the 1397 and a good head and cam combo is a hot setup. Gives you pleanty of extra power across the revs. If you really need to step it up then just toss some race gas in and some juice. Simple package that's street reliable.

Streetable and as much power as you can get.

More Streetable with Less Aggressive Mods
Less Streetable with More Aggressive Mods

What are you trying to accomplish with the hp? Drags? Impress the chicks? Because your buddy beat you on a liter?

IMO start there and work backwards... it's a slippery slope and the prices you mention can be just the beginning so don't use your budget up all at once.

not a big track fan. All for steet fullishness and looks. I come from big hp motors on street cars and like the hp. But i dont wanna spend a bunch of $$$ to get a few little HP

there's a huge difference coming from car hp to a bike.... toss a 16tooth front and a 41tooth rear sprocket and you'll have plenty to keep things puckered.

Back