Anyone using Bolt-on Swingarm Extensions?

boywithtoys

Registered
I am curious to know how many people on this forum are using or have used the bolt-on style swingarm extension. Whose extensions are they? Where were they purchased? How do they perform? Are they safe? How do they change the motorcycle's handling characteristics? Would you reccomend them? Any info would be very helpful...

The ext's are a great mod. They make the Busa handle alittle slower, nothing adjusting your riding can't fix. I ran a set of ext's on my Busa riding through the mountains on the last Busa fall ride meet and had no problems except dragging my size 15 boots in the turns. IMO the looks alone make it worthwhile, they just give it something that makes the Busa appear more aggressive looking. I got mine from NYC parts off of Ebay for $203 shipped.
The way they're machined makes them a real tight fit and the quality of the aluminum makes it safe IMO. It's not a simple drop-in, they take alittle finesse to get them to fit.(light fileing)

From a cost perspective it ran me about $300. total.
You'll need to buy a 140 link chain, have a chain tool and get some lowering links. So add another $30-35 for a set of dogbones, you can get them off of Ebay also, probly from the same place that sells the ext's.

Tools you'll need.
A rear stand or a way to support you bike to take the weight off the rearend.
Metric allen wrenches.
Rubber tip hammer.
Metric 3/8's socket set.
A 1/2" torque wrench and a socket to fit the rear axle nut.(I think it's 1 1/16) The rear axle nut torque setting is 72 ft-lbs.
There might be a few tools i've left off, but this will help.

You have to reroute the rear brake line to straighten it out. There's a loop the line passes through on the swingarm that you have to remove the brakeline from. (Perfect time for a SS brake line&HH pad upgrade).

When you done the bike will need some rear shock adjustment. Depending on your weight, you'll probly have to turn up the spring adjustment and fiddle with the dampening&compression settings to find a happy medium. (There's a bunch of us here that can help you with this, try PMing Jinkster)

My post makes bolting a set of ext's on seem alittle complicated but it's really not. It's not a bolt-on and roll deal, nothing ever is, there's just a few extra steps you have to take.

If you need any help or have any questions give me a ring.
540-910-0911 Paul.

extention1.JPG

thats great i was getting ready to ask the same question also what size extensions are on your bike.

I run them on my bike, and have not had any problems.  Use them on the street and the track.  They are great it you hit the track now and then and don't want a full arm.

Be careful of the quality of some out there, Ask what people are using.

Mine were made by a friend and trust them 100% He runs them on a turbo bike.  
I personaly like the ones that bolt from the out side in,  I don't like the idea of the bolt screwing into the extension itself.   Mine go through the extension into stainless steel.

<!--EDIT|rpm9001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132704395 -->

My ext's are the 4-6inch version. There is a 2-7inch available also.
My bike is currently set at 5.5 inches, due to the length of the chain links it's almost impossible to have a true 6 inch stretch.

I run them on my bike, and have not had any problems. Use them on the street and the track. They are great it you hit the track now and then and don't want a full arm.

Be careful of the quality of some out there, Ask what people are using.

Mine were made by a friend and trust them 100% He runs them on a turbo bike.
I personaly like the ones that bolt from the out side in, I don't like the idea of the bolt screwing into the extension itself. Mine go through the extension into stainless steel.

Where can I get a set of those? Thanks, NJ.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132760284 -->

What are the differences in the brake caliper stay? I've seen some using replacement arms out of aluminum flat stock like on the spencer cycle bolt-ons, and others use a slider plate like on the exotic cycle bolt-ons... Are there performance differences, lighter or stornger?

Back