Anyone use Clear Film (3m) over Paint to Protect?

PJ267

Registered
I think 3M makes a clear film tape that can cover certain painted materials. Anyone use this? Any luck with it? Prevent chipping, scratches. Thanks

I have the Whole Tankslapper kit and love it. I am also putting a few feet of this stuff on my wish list for christmas just for incidental areas! I only wish someone had a 14 mil kit for the belly wing when I first got my bike!!! Now my paint is hashed and I am in pain every time I clean my bike and see the damage inflicted to this area!

I am getting ready to order the full kit from the tankslapper.com and from what I have seen is that they do the job well especially on the front fender and other high wear areas. They save from having to repaint because of rock chips and stuff like that.

It worked for me.....just remember, when you take it off, all the surrounding areas will be dull and the protected areas will be shiny.

Lamb wishes he used this. One would think it is UV protected.?? That is a question, does anybody know if it is?
The tail piece of the missile is starting to fade from it being red and all. Lamb is thinking that a film of this applied over said piece could prevent it from fading.
The front frender, though, is a terrific spot for this.

Last edited:
Dont quote me on this but I had read one time that you dont want the film to have any UV filtering because it will eventually fade on the unprotected areas and the paint under the film will be newer and unfaded.

Lamb wishes he used this. One would think it is UV protected.?? That is a question, does anybody know if it is?
The tail piece of the missile is starting to fade from it being red and all. Lamb is thinking that a film of this applied over said piece could prevent it from fading.

since everyone is mentioning what they DO like I'll mention what I don't. I bought a few feet of this products and it looks very cheesy. It looks and feels like foil. Scratches easy and the carbon fiber print looks very fake. I would never put this on my bike.

fake carbon fiber

I use 3 M sheet . If it gets dirty or marked up i just peel and replace.:thumbsup:
No Scratches :beerchug:

i am using another equivalent sticker
it is really good, it is pre cut to the head fairing and the strength of the sticker is good. almost "unbreakable"

1999-GSX1300R-fullkit-notank.jpg

unbreakable.JPG

Last edited:
I use that stuff only when I use a tailbag or saddle bags. I put it on the areas when the tie down straps touch the body. I know the straps aren't suspose to leave a mark, but they do. So, I put that film stuff on, and then when I remove the bags, the film comes off. No scratches or marks yet!

When I get SpudleyBusa repainted, I'm going to do the front fender, the lower leading edges, and the upper cowl around the headlight.....too many triple-digit sustained runs with KAMAKAZI BUGS....I'm tellin' ya....they chip the paint.... :oldcool:

I use a 3m tape that is considerd helicopter tape. from what im told there put this stuff on the blades of helicopters. I use is on my lower fairing and also around the radiator. It works awsome but a little on the expensive side. If you love your paint this is what u need

3M says their product is UV protected, and won't yellow over time.

I use a 3m tape that is considerd helicopter tape. from what im told there put this stuff on the blades of helicopters. I use is on my lower fairing and also around the radiator. It works awsome but a little on the expensive side. If you love your paint this is what u need

Noted, Thanks Bruddah for the heads-up.......Helicopter 3M Blade Tape....got it ! :super:

Back