Anyone see the new Honda VFR1200?

Stealth08

Registered
Hey guys, I just came across this tonight and had to pass it on. I have to say at first I didn't think it was real but the second post says they are official photos. Looks like this bike would be around 200HP and sporttouring. Kind of like a couple other bikes that come to mind, Hayabusa, ZX14, k1300s.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this thing and if they do make it, it would be an interesting alternative to our bikes. Probably not as fast but might be, who knows. I think I will need a turbo by spring after all:laugh:

2010 Honda VFR1200 caught testing - Top Speed

2010 Honda VFR1200 official pics - Top Speed

UK Exclusive: New Honda V4 spied in action - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

No shaft drive for me. I don't know why....
Posted via Mobile Device

Used to be I'd agree with you, But after riding the Shaft drive Guzzi for a year or so I've become a believer.

Modern shaft drive has no Jacking, no weird up and down and very little slop.

Yup, I'm impressed with the C14's shaft drive. It does suck up a few more ponies, but the ride is much the same as a chain.

Im not entirely sure about the way it looks but I am defiantly looking forward to a new VFR! I will wait on final judgment till I see it in person.

there are new version,a sport and a tourer.The tourer come with 2 side box and with ABS too.Very nice.:thumbsup:

Is that freakin Skeletor riding the bike in the first link pics? They are really going for it with the top speed tests and a 95 lb rider! Not the prettiest bike Big Red has ever rolled off the line but I will wait to judge when/if it hits the showroom floor.

Used to be I'd agree with you, But after riding the Shaft drive Guzzi for a year or so I've become a believer.

Shaft drives have come a long way, but (shaftdrive) power transmission losses will ALWAYS be greater than a chain. If you have some power to lose, perhaps who cares?

I'm oldschool, give me the chain!

Last edited:
I think it's very good news, although I will bet Honda will load it with a bunch of whiz-bang technology and overprice it by $5,000 or more, making it a non-seller.....kind of like that new scooter/motorcycle thing they are selling now, or at least trying to sell.

I like the looks except for the trumpet exhaust. Really interested to find out it's performance numbers. Looks to be a worthy successor to the VFR800 and even the CBR1100XX Blackbird. I imagine it will be priced similar to the K1300S. I hope it is a true hyperbike like the Busa, ZX-14 or even the BMW K13000S. Now if only Yamaha would get into the mix. I would love to see their version of a hyperbike. (the V-max doesn't count IMO).

Last edited:
Wow. I didn't see that on the horizon.

Love shaft drive! I even liked it on my '83 Nighthawk - Honda had it covered fairly well even way back then.

I considered the VRF800 before I bought the Hayabusa, so this definitely piques my interest. However, there's one HUGE problem...

...It ain't even CLOSE to being as pretty as a GenII Hayabusa. Hopefully they'll get the design team to work out a better skin between now and production. If they do that and keep the price competitive, they could have a real comer to the game.

Yup, I'm impressed with the C14's shaft drive. It does suck up a few more ponies, but the ride is much the same as a chain.

Shaft drives have come a long way, but (shaftdrive) power transmission losses will ALWAYS be greater than a chain. If you have some power to lose, perhaps who cares?

I'm oldschool, give me the chain!

For street riding, IMHO, there is no real need for a chain. The ride is virtually the same as chain. Yep, you use some power to move the shaft drive but I've yet to come up short on power on the street anyway. The amazingly low routine maintenance of a good shaft drive is, for me, well worth a few ponies that would otherwise be lounging around with nothing to do. If the Hayabusa was available with shaft drive, that's what I would have chosen. ::11

Just not sure of the meld of touring shaft and hypersport bike.. I like both styles of bikes but I would rather put the shaft drive on a long distance bike and leave the hypersport bike as more sport with the chain..

I have owned 3 shaft drive bikes to date (XS1100 Midnight Special, and a two different wings) and I love the shaft drive, but I would not want my hot rod bike to have one... Just too much of a cross over I guess... (have been corrupted to the track day setup... you make that shaft drive work on a track day, we will talk again, meanwhile think about trying to drag race the thing too... all your countless pennies for pipes, PC3's, air box mods filters etc are all for nothing)

Last edited:
I like the idea of Honda finally replacing the Blackbird but not to sure in the new styling they are going with on this one. I do like the shaft drive and not having to mess with the chain. If you are like me and not racing anymore, the shaft drive would be a nice feature. The side fairings look like the k1200 gt, big and flat and the front headlight looks like the 1200 Bandit. Can't wait till the finished product comes out!

Back