Anyone running a high output Stator in their Gen-II

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Stumbled into this by Ricks Motorsports. At $160, not too bad for a high out stator for the Gen-II Busa. With all these lights & electronic gizmos am running plus heated gear, I am wondering if it may be worth to up the ante with one of these.

(21-318H) New Hot Shot Suzuki Stator
Description
New Hot Shot Suzuki Stator: Output is 500 watts *Grommet & Trigger Coil not included.
Rick's Motorsport Electrics - Product Detail

21-318H.jpg

21-318H.jpg

How much does the stock stator output? And would this higher output fry or damage anything?

you know, i'll bet it'd be great with heated gear. plus if you have some 50W HID's, more power gives you a quicker startup sequence. the bulbs will last longer too.

Sorry Pashnit, I don't have a answer for you but I do have another question to add in there with yours...:whistle:

Would it be ok to install one of these in preparation of all the gadgets and gizmos to come? or would the output be to much for the stock draw and it starts making everything act crazy?

BK Busa @ pashnit.com

seems like theres a thread on here saying they didnt work well and had high failure. i could be mistaken but i'd search some before buying it.

Would it be ok to install one of these in preparation of all the gadgets and gizmos to come? or would the output be to much for the stock draw and it starts making everything act crazy?

Actually, I don't know. That's why I was asking you guys first. :laugh: On the description for the Gen-I, it does list other upgraded components on the Ricks Electric site, but for the Gen-II it does not. Think maybe I need to call them. Oddly enough, I have a spare battery on my shelf just in case I fry the original.

I just don't want to overtax the charging system. Granted all this light stuff is LED so not much draw, but there will be heated liner, heated seat, heated grips on the bike and heated anything has lots of draw.

Fried some batteries on the Gen-I, but the Gen-II is brand new bike to me & still under 10K on the mileage.

Preparation for this: 1000MileDay.com

Just an FYI, there is a core charge that you need to add, or send yours in right away!

AFAIK the stock output is ~485W so this is probably a rebuilt stock unit (hence the core charge) and if it is like the rebuilt "high output" alternators for cars (they just crank the output voltage up by .5V and hope the rectifier lives) that would account for the high failure rate and would probably due long term damage to the more sensitive electronics on the bike (speed-o-healer, instrument cluster, ECU). I would say stay away, but it's your money.

Sorry, too late to edit, stock output is ~400W at 5K RPM, so if this is rated at 5K RPM (apples to apples, but I doubt it) that means a ~ 3.3V output increase (25% of 13.2 V) for a 25% increase in wattage output = definite potential (pun not intended) for electrical damage.

Tim - I have been considering getting one of Rick's stators as well. With my heated liner (77 watts), gloves (22 watts), aux lights (60 watts) and GPS/Radar (~5 watts), I really push the stock stator to the limit. With everything on full the system will eventually run to a deficit, and I have to turn something off to get the Volts back up. But that is only in REALLY cold weather, like 20's and lower - the rest of the time I don't have to run the heated gear at full.

I did have an Electrosport stator on my previous bikes (CBR1100xx) and that made a huge difference (about 35% more watts). The upgraded stator for the Busa is on my short list, as 100 extra watts would mean I didn't have to worry when running everything full blast.

Intersting! Need tests on this device. Also confirmation, on the increased voltage, stated by mestona (he brings a valid point!). Also would like to know the dependability of the unit itself.

Back