anyone run t04e?

robertsufka

Registered
what is a good turbo to run? i would like to have an external wastegate and dont want any more than 300 hp and want to run around 10#'s on a motor with low comp pistons, spacer, rods, etc. i want it to spool almost immediately through the whole power range. ive been reading around and looking around for a few weeks and dont know which one to go with. ive found that a garrett T04E is around the 300 - 400 hp range. is this a good turbo? i would like this to be a very reliable daily ridden bike that i can take to the strip also. any info on turbos would help GREATLY!

thanks in advance!

Through alot of reading to my understanding the gt2860rs would be perfect for what you want. And it's rated @360 not to mention it's ball-bearing.

i like the master power brand turbo's they are very well priced and make a good selection of turbos
and they also offer a t04e in a few different trims
the trim determines the size the t04e is more about the center section of the turbo being a t3/t4 style

T04 is going to be on the large side unless someone does some custom wheel/housing work..

Turbo sizing is not that hard to work out if you have the compressor maps in front of you.. alternately, you can contact the "builders" of the units and get a good idea of what you want..

Almost without exception as you go up in total volume (key to power is amount of air) you loose low end response and power.. Larger turbos can overall produce higher volumes of cooler air (second key is air density) but at the expense of response (often termed as turbo lag, is actually just the "off boost" performance of the motor)..

A LSR motor is a lot different than a "drag" motor setup.. Figure out where you will be wanting the best performance and then go about picking the turbo

The bigger the turbo the better. I only say this because they feel a hair more pregessive/linear than the smaller ones. Also, it doen't have to work as hard to make the same hp levels.
If you want 300hp with only 10# then you're gonna need something around the GT40.

The bigger the turbo the better. I only say this because they feel a hair more pregessive/linear than the smaller ones. Also, it doen't have to work as hard to make the same hp levels.
If you want 300hp with only 10# then you're gonna need something around the GT40.
I tend to dissagree with you on this, in that efficiency with small turbos is almost the same up to about 15-16 lbs of boost. I researched this extensively with different dyno pulls on the same motor with different turbos. 2860's run out of steam or efficiency at around 20 lbs. 35r's start to run out of steam around 32 lbs{575 hp}...up to 10-12 lbs go small it's much more streetable and has no lag. I've owned both and each has there advantages {small for the street large for the strip}

I tend to dissagree with you on this, in that efficiency with small turbos is almost the same up to about 15-16 lbs of boost. I researched this extensively with different dyno pulls on the same motor with different turbos. 2860's run out of steam or efficiency at around 20 lbs. 35r's start to run out of steam around 32 lbs{575 hp}...up to 10-12 lbs go small it's much more streetable and has no lag. I've owned both and each has there advantages {small for the street large for the strip}
very correct, this is where the compressor maps are so valuable.. On the other hand, yes a larger turbo will make the same power with less boost in many cases.. This is the "Air Density" part of the equation.. the more you gotta pound the air, the hotter it gets.. at lower RPMs on the street, who cares.. at the drag strip it does matter, at Bonneville or M.Mile, it REALLY matters..

Water/alcohol inj, and/or intercoolers are essentially giving you back your air density allowing a smaller turbo to work as efficiently as the larger unit.. PSI is only part of the issue..

I learned a lot of this 20+ years ago before turbos were all the rage.. We had the first 200mph Top Alcohol dragster at Denver.. 4 Turbos on that motor.. we had to have the best of both worlds, fast spool, massive flow.. turbos were staged to run 2 and then 4...

NHRA handed us 200lbs to add to the car after the record run...

Last edited:
I think it's would be very hard to come up with a turbo that fits all of his needs.

1. 300 hp @ 10 lbs
2. quick spool, full boost at lowest RPM
3. reliable street driven
4. drag strip racing

I know with the GT40 you can run 11 lbs and have 340hp on pump gas reliably. A 35 would need a bit more boost and would create higher inlet temps to hit the 300 mark and I don't think pump gas would be to safe.

I think the holy grail of turbo's (one that'll do everything) is a bit optimistic. You could easily go with a kit that'll give you say 250hp street reliable on pump gas that comes on full boost early in the revs. For the track you could dump some c16 and push more boost and get some more hp out of it.

Best bet is to really chat with the guys making the turbo kits (Velocity, RCC, Big CC, etc.). They're normaly more than glad to chat and try and win a new customer.

BTW, 300hp in 1st n 2nd gear is way to ugly with a stock arm.

+1 commuta busa you can't have the best of both worlds... with h2o injection or an intercooler 300 hp is attainable on pump gas with a gt-25dbb turbo. I hit the 300 hp mark at 11.5 lbs, afr at 11.5 to 1, comp at 8.5 to 1. Although I wouldn't want to run a top speed shootout without some c-16 mixed in. This turbo made 428.7 hp and 275 tq at 21 lbs of boost on my 08 busa
08busa012.jpg

+1 commuta busa you can't have the best of both worlds... with h2o injection or an intercooler 300 hp is attainable on pump gas with a gt-25dbb turbo. I hit the 300 hp mark at 11.5 lbs, afr at 11.5 to 1, comp at 8.5 to 1. Although I wouldn't want to run a top speed shootout without some c-16 mixed in. This turbo made 428.7 hp and 275 tq at 21 lbs of boost on my 08 busa
We have run "variable vane" turbos on small displacement motors (<1800cc) and they spool quickly and produce good boost and reasonable discharge temps at higher levels of boost..

HOWEVER: reliability and $$$ are major issues with them..

I'd run the biggest turbo you can on the street and if your worried about not having any lowend response run a 40hp shot of nitrous from 3k-5k. See, easy solution. :laugh:

Back