Anyone ride in Key West?

nychayabusa

Registered
I will be going down to Florida (Coral Springs) in a month and will be renting a chopper when I go down. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the ride down? Please share your experience.

Thanks

Bike week 2005 We rode from Daytona to key west and back it was a hard ride (It rained Hard) A bit far on a geared down sport bike Had a 93 GSXR 1100 then. But now its good memories. Interstate 95 is a little boring for hours on end.

Well, sure dont have current info, but......

In 1977 I rode a Suzukii GT185 from Canada to Key West -- in March.

I was cold until the Fla panhandle.

The Keys were awesome.

I was a kid so I slept in ditches and wherever.

The bike made it half way back - Valdos--something GA.

Hitch hiked the rest of the way.

Bought a 1976 GT550 (still a two stroke) when I got back. Still have it.. Going from a 185 to a triple two troke 550 was like going from the 550 to the 1999 BUSA.

Suzuki all th way.

Enjoy the ride!

Well, sure dont have current info, but......

In 1977 I rode a Suzukii GT185 from Canada to Key West -- in March.

I was cold until the Fla panhandle.

The Keys were awesome.

I was a kid so I slept in ditches and wherever.

The bike made it half way back - Valdos--something GA.

Hitch hiked the rest of the way.

Bought a 1976 GT550 (still a two stroke) when I got back. Still have it.. Going from a 185 to a triple two troke 550 was like going from the 550 to the 1999 BUSA.

Suzuki all th way.

Enjoy the ride!

That is a great story..... what we did as "Youngsters" lol.

That's a ride I want to take despite the lack of curves. :laugh: I lived in the panhandle for 4 years and the views of the ocean are second only to those of the mountains.....one of these days I'll make it down and ride to Key West. :beerchug: The weather isn't half-bad either!

It's a straight shot down US1 after exiting the Florida Turnpike. Two lane after Homestead. There's a Denny's south of the exit and plenty of fuel stops right there. As you get to each Key, the road usually divides and there's plenty of places to stop and get water, gas, etc. Nice pace, water on both sides. An excellent place to eat lunch is the Seven Mile Bridge Cafe on the right(Gulf side) just before the 7 mile bridge leading to Key West. The Conch Chowder is AWESOME!! As previously stated, once you get to Key West, you can ride everywhere in a short time. Don't forget to have your picture taken at Mile Marker 0(zero), southern most point in the USA!!

I lived on Big Pine Key for about 4 years (15 years ago),
30 miles north (like it could be south, or east, or west) of Key West.

I would plan to stop at Bahia Honda state park, it's 6 miles or so north
of Big Pine. Very cool beaches and you can camp there. Couse if your
going soon it would be to cold to swim. As I remember there are 2 beaches
one on the road/bridge side that sloops down fairly quick. I liked the east
beach, very slow sloop...you can walk out on the water a couple hundred yrds and still be knee
deep (in some areas) and gorgeous. Used to take the kids there when they
were little. I would google it, don't know if it closes or anything.

Beware the traffic, as it was 15 years ago I don't remember heavy season vs
light season but there were times it was bumper to bumper going south on big
pine...used to pismeoff...darn tourists :laugh:

never road down there but used to make a dive trip every year for about a week and camp out on key largo. Reefs are incredible and water is crystal clear. If your going i'd highly recommend a charter dive or two. But like said earlier... once your actually at key west or key largo its like riding around the block, only takes a few min

Good info here I can only add if you're planning on staying the night check out the Crossroads Hotel on Duval Street. Unfortunately they don't or didn't take credit card reservations over the phone so it's first come first serve deal. Hemmingways Sloppy Joes and many others. See if you can book one of the Snorkel Dives where they take you out 10 miles and you snorkel around the sand bars and reefs. Best Sunsets anywhere...Trafalgar Square... Wardie

If you renting that chopper in Key West you will be done with the whole town in 20 minutes like prior post said. :laugh: Most people like the ride down there for the ocean views an stopping at the various Tiki bars with ocean views an ocean side deck dining an jet ski rentals, para sailing an stuff. If you are coming might as well get on the tour boat that takes you out to the Dry Tortugas. But most people like to hang out out there an scuba or snorkel around the reefs.. But you going to be tired of that chopper pretty quick dude it's a pretty small piece of realestate there:rofl:

Visit the Dry Tortugas. Ferry Food Drinks Snorkel 100% Price Guarantee!

My friends stayed at Casa Marina in Key West an loved it ; Casa Marina Resort - Waldorf Astoria Collection Orbitz

But I am not sure how long you staying or what the budget is like here are some more choices hotels key west - Google Maps

good thing about a small island just about everyone has an ocean view down side is not to many are very cheap :laugh:

Last edited:
I got a crazy one for you. I've lived in South Florida for 25 yrs. I've never been to Key West, The furthest i've been is Marathon. I keep telling myself I need to take a ride down there just to check the place out have have some very good seafood. I LIKE GOOD SEAFOOD... :laugh: One of these days i'll tke the ride.

Wow, now I am even more excited. I will be sure to take plenty of pics!

I wish my busa could be there. Riding in Jersey is so boring :poke: In Singapore right now though.

Back