Anyone on here live in the vicinity of Detroit??

Got-Busa?

Donating Member
Registered
Ann Arbor, Saline, Milan, Plymouth, Wixom, Farmington Hills, Salem, Romulus, Ypsilanti, etc, etc.?

I'm looking at a job up there and just wondering your thoughts on the area?

Where to live? Where to stay away from? Schools? Neighborhoods? etc?

I would probably work in Romulus but would prefer to live farther away from Detroit and drive everyday (45-min or less). Would prefer some land or acreage community but just depends what is available within a resonable drive. Any info or local websites with info would be great.

Thanks,

Josh
:beerchug:

If I was to work in Romulus I would be looking for a house in Ann arbor. Depending on where in Ann arbor you are would be a 30-60 minute drive. What job brings you to Michigan?

I have family in Detroit, West Bloomfield and Ann Arbor. I lived in Detroit for 2 years soome tme ago. I loved it (Tigers and red wings games were awesome). Ann Arbor is nice, that's where I would go. If you want specifics PM me and I can get the family on it.

Thanks everyone! :beerchug:

I'm in the aviation field so I'd be around DTW. My wife is medical so we'd have to find hospitals, etc. in the area for her also. I still haven't heard back yet so just looking at the basics for now.

I'd really like to get some land or at least a few acres (maybe 4-5). I don't mind staying in the burbs just figured it would be a good opportunity to live outside of town.

My favorite thing comes out of Detroit!!

LIONS.jpg

Well my aunt lives down by Detroit and she's in the medical field. She's had no problem getting a job down there. Most of the time she has 2 jobs doing like 70hrs a week. Ann Arbor has one of the best hospitals in our great state. Well hopefully if you move here you will like it.

I've lived here since '66 and know the area well. Depends on how much you want to spend-Ann Arbor is nice but way overpriced due to U of M. Avoid Ypsilanti at all costs but I do consider one of the best hospitals in the area to be St. Joseph Mercy on the Ann Arbor/Ypsi border. The nicer but more expensive suburbs are Ann Arbor, Canton, Livonia, Plymouth, Northville, Novi. If your wanting acreage your best bet would be to look southwest of the airport(New Boston, Sumpter, Willis, Milan) but if you get out of Wayne County your taxes will be lower. Our home values are still very depressed around here but starting to turn around so it is a great time to buy-alot of $500K homes going for $200K. It all depends on what your wanting to spend and how far you're willing to drive-feel free to pm me any questions. I'm currently in Pinckney about 15 miles north of Ann Arbor and it's a 45 mile ride to the airport that would take under an hour in "normal" traffic.

ann arbor ypsilanti and dexter are all in the same area i would highly recommend the dexter ann arbor area its more country and a beautiful low crime area. Ann arbor is where university of michigan is so property is a bit expensive but amazing area. Im in flint an hour north of there i personally dont like anything around the direct detroit area there are nice areas but they are ungodly expensive and way over populated

I've lived here since '66 and know the area well. Depends on how much you want to spend-Ann Arbor is nice but way overpriced due to U of M. Avoid Ypsilanti at all costs but I do consider one of the best hospitals in the area to be St. Joseph Mercy on the Ann Arbor/Ypsi border. The nicer but more expensive suburbs are Ann Arbor, Canton, Livonia, Plymouth, Northville, Novi. If your wanting acreage your best bet would be to look southwest of the airport(New Boston, Sumpter, Willis, Milan) but if you get out of Wayne County your taxes will be lower. Our home values are still very depressed around here but starting to turn around so it is a great time to buy-alot of $500K homes going for $200K. It all depends on what your wanting to spend and how far you're willing to drive-feel free to pm me any questions. I'm currently in Pinckney about 15 miles north of Ann Arbor and it's a 45 mile ride to the airport that would take under an hour in "normal" traffic.

Thanks for the info! As soon as I get more details I'll let you know. I'll see what I can search online for those areas. What kind of tax rate is normal for that area? TX is pretty high but they don't have state taxes so I'm guessing it will about equal out if not a little cheaper in MI. Recommend any good websites for info? :beerchug:

I live exactly 1/4 of a mile into Redford. That is a township that borders Detroit. Don't let anyone sugar coat it... Detroit is a sh**hole. I really can not find one positive thing to say about the city. I enjoy the city of Howell. The west side of the state is 100 percent better, and try to spend alot of my free time there. You mentioned Romulus... Just don't speed in that city. They are brutal with speeding tickets. They wrote me up for 110 in a 70 when on that particular trip my speedo never went passed 70. :poke:

IM IN INKSTER. DETROIT AREA. avoid inkster at all cost lol its a small town but alot of bad sh#@ in it, one year we had the highest murder rate in the US think about that the population is only 25.000 at most

Brother, if you can find a position near Greenville, SC. I would highly recommend looking into it. One of the nicest places I have been and the Dragon is 3 hours away :)

racerV said:
Brother, if you can find a position near Greenville, SC. I would highly recommend looking into it. One of the nicest places I have been and the Dragon is 3 hours away :)

The upstate has him hooked!

Sent from my busa!

John, I'm trying to get back closer to Ohio. I've got babies now that should be closer to family as they grow up. Romulus is only a couple hours from family so it might work out.

If I had my choice, I'd be going to Denver, Orlando, Nashville, etc. or maybe a two year gig in Hawaii, St Charles, Germany, etc. but those aren't any closer then TX... :laugh:

I agree with detroitbusa. I live in mid Michigan but have friends that live all over the southwest of the state and its alot better then Detroit any day.

Back