Anyone notch an Icon helmet shield?

InfiniteReality

Registered
Long story short, the top of the helmet would allow air and even water thru the top of the shield. I contacted Icon and they told me I could try to adjust the hinges. I did that and now it's sealed, but impossible to open 1 handed.

I definitely have noticed the shield lock on the helmets suck and hard to open. I can either not ride for 6-8 weeks (sold my old helmet) while sending the helmet back for, hopefully, warranty work. or deal with it, which is unfair being it's their top of the line. I'm sort of stuck. I was wondering if I noticed the area below the hole in the shield and it'd make it easier to open?

Any ideas?

Have you tried different shields? Maybe the problem isn't the helmet. Can you post pics of the area you are wanting to notch, that could help with ideas.

I did try the clear one, one night. Can't recall if it let wind in since wasn't cold. That's a good idea, I didn't consider it possibly being the mirror shield. Will try it out shortly and see

I took some pictures, but can't upload them on my phone. I'll post them after I try the clear shield.

Thanks!

Yeah, buy a new helmet....and this time a good one.
If it makes you feel any better, I paid $700 a few years ago for a Bell Star cf with a photocramtic sheild(and only because Shoei didn't have a photocramatic sheild yet then).
First impression, it was awesome, Bell's original owners bought the company back and where making good stuff again. Wrong.
After riding with for a very short while, it's a POS.
With vents closed or open, and in any combination, when I turn my head left or right, the wind blows directly across my eyes from either side. I have no idea how or why.
I can feel my eye lashes blowing, and literally cannot see. And this is with the sheild closed!
Lesson learned.
I will Never buy any helmet again other than a Shoei. And Arai makes good ones too, but they don't fit my head right.
There are a few good companies that make helmets, but I won't be wasting money trying anything else anymore.
No harm to anyone, but I don't think much of Icon's quality either.
It'll be interesting to hear what they tell you.
I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the replies and advice! I wasn't sure if I was going to even start a thread, but glad I did.

I had a HJC Carbon fiber helmet for past 8.5yrs and loved it. Fairly light and was only $300. When I realized I had it as long as I did, I had to buy a new one. I ride with all Icon gear and really dig the Icon helmet style since they're unconventional. With the HJC my chin was always cold, but the Icon fit my face much better. I did try on an Aria, but definitely didn't fit my face for sure.

I didn't get a chance to swap shields, but tonight I'll use some compressed air and I'll see how well each shield seals. I may fiddle with the shield latches as well. @ Dscahill the latch did get alot better while I was breaking it in, but now it's impossible. Depending on the outcome tonight, I may sand a little on the silver nub on the helmet to allow easier opening yet still keep the shield locked.

Pictures below. I tried for the top of the helmet between shield and helmet, but didn't come out.

IMG_20160105_160602.jpg

IMG_20160105_160614.jpg

IMG_20160105_160651.jpg

IMG_20160105_160702.jpg

Ive been using a airmada for almost 2 years. POS. Will not be buying another loud, cheaply made icon

Back