Anyone make a rack that goes over the seat?

klp

Registered
I just got my Busa and want to set it up with some sort of luggage so I have been looking around a lot. Seems hard bags are better for my needs but I have yet to see a setup I really like.

The side bags make the back of the bike huge and the top case by itself seems to sit too high and back which ruins the look for me.

Maybe a top case that mounted over the seat would look a little better? Dunno and I am not trying to flame anyone here, I know there are lots of ways to go and I am ok with that.

SW Motech.
465245_3732075954739_590031722_o.jpg

The side bags make the back of the bike huge and the top case by itself seems to sit too high and back which ruins the look for me.

I feel the same way about ruining the look. For me... it has to be sleek and tight, even if I'm on the road for a week.

I use a 20L dry bag on a small homemade rack plus a tank bag. I can pack for 6 days using this method, although I don't have room to carry around any souvenirs or anything.

Here we are packed for 6 days to California last year...

Trip 001.JPG

That looks really nice. Have you got any more pics of the rack you made?

I may have to get creative as you did - got a trip planned for August.

Nice! For my Ebay hunt - is the hump or rear seat base better? Does one lend itself to mounting better than the other?

Yea, use the base. I removed the top part of the pillion seat that I bought and bolted the top box to it so it's rather permanently attached to the spare pillion seat. I would warn you to have a metal,base plate inside the top box to prevent the bolts from breaking the top box

That looks really nice. Have you got any more pics of the rack you made?

I may have to get creative as you did - got a trip planned for August.

I suppose I should make a template in case someone wants to make one themselves. The hardest part was getting the angle equal on both sides. Once that was figured out, it was easy. I bolted the ears to the bike and started the welds using the bike as the "jig".

Trout thanks for the detailed pics - that is a real nice setup. Let's see if I can build one before August!

Back