Anyone make a rack that goes over the seat?

curious what you came up with. I like my ventura rack system. The rack can go over the seat or stick out the back depending on what works best for you
hayabusawithbags_zpscc575bd9.jpg

Yeah well I got nothing! I have spent a lot of time getting my bike sorted and comfortable. I am very happy with how this goes down the road.

My trip is fast approaching so I ran out of time. I am running Cortech saddle and seat bags with my bedroll on top of everything. Also a small tankbag.

My favorite setup is either a seat base mounted top case or something like what Trout did. His rack would be ideal for me but I am not sure I have the technology to build it. I would love to have one mounted like his but without a rear seat so it could be lower with a step up to another rack in Trouts position over the hump.

Stay tuned if your patient I will have something built up over the winter. Or just continue to use my ****ty current setup.

Resurrecting a old thread.....I wonder what the weight rating on that fabbed rack would be....?

DSC_2423.JPG
1511055849877.jpg

The rack will hold plenty for a normal tour / trip

The rack that looked fabbed up with the small silver flat tray, for lack of a better word. Not the ventura. Those set the weight way to high and with height like that must play havoc with fuel consumption. I need to keep luggage weight down low and forward, if possible. I have a nice tailbag but it would be nice to have a small rear rack that I could strap a 20 or 30 litre dry bag to. The sw motech rear rack is heavy all on its own.

View attachment 1580701View attachment 1580702

The rack will hold plenty for a normal tour / trip

Normal? For a trip around the world maybe? I use a 22” seat bag (on) the seat and I’ve extended all four ‘bungee’ bolts so my netting fits easily over the bag and attaches securely. No bags hanging off the sides, soft or hard, to interrupt the airflow and absolutely no top box.:crazy:
6763C273-48E1-4A12-9278-61B670CBFDCA.jpeg
That along with a small tank bag, used mostly as a cooler is all it takes for one up touring.

I pack for two not just myself. 176 gps with bags on so its still fast enough.
I did not buy a bird for lsr /drag / looks /.
It was purchased for power to weight ratio, and low center of gravity VS Fjr / C14 / st1300. Don't knock me for my bags and I won't knock you for owning a Honda CBX

I'm a long distance rider doing trips of a month duration on the road I carry all my camping gear and food. No motels or restaurants. My setup has been 3 givi hard bags with a small soft bag and a tank bag.

I'm a smaller rider without a lot of upper body strength so I try and have the bike packed as lightly as possible with the weight low and forward. I did have a passenger seat mounted plate that had a givi adapter plate attached, it gave me a seat mounted hard bag.

When I was washing my bike day, I was looking at all that space behind the grab rail wondering if I would be able to strap a small dry bag there, perhaps it would conform a bit to the rounded tail section...?...I have strapped a rain suit there once out of nesessity on one trip.

That rack with the small silver plate would be perfect for what I want.

I bought my busa because it makes a cracking sports touring bike with a low Center of gravity. I’m not interested in bling, Chrome, fat tires, extra hp, extended swing arms or fancy paint jobs. It took me a while to find one that was as close to stock as possible.

Reactions: c10
You would not be able to overload that small rack, at least in terms of it bending or breaking.
It would support more weight than you would care to have extended over the rear, especially as a small and light weight lady.
If that rack looks like what you think you need, it will hold whatever you would want to put on it.

The renntec racks advertises a weight load rating of 5 kg. Now we all know that would be a conservative estimate to cover their asses and in real life it would be loaded heavier. At this stage of the game ie; I’m a lot older now since my first busa....dammit!.....I am considering ditching hard bags in favour of soft waterproof luggage, something like the Nelson rigg waterproof side bags or the shad ones.

I have a couple of kreiga bags that I like but they are heavy for a dry bag. Givi has the gravel t line that I have a few pieces from, I quite like it. Having said that though, I have a set of givi e36 hard bags that weigh very little, for a hard bag. The downside is that the bigger the bag the more crap you bring.

My last Alaska trip I ditched my kappa aluminum k-venture top box in favour of one of the givi e36 because the weight savings between the two bags empty was 7 lbs!. That’s a lot of weight hanging off the back of the bike.

That little rack I would load fairly lightly since it’s the most rearward, a heavier dry bag of hard bag would go onto the passenger seat, again, to bring that weight forward.

Back