Anyone looking at getting the redesigned Goldwing

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
I recently drove from Florida to NC to pick up a used 2016 concours that was for sale at a Honda dealership and, while sitting there waiting on paperwork, had the chance to see in person the new redesigned wing and was amazed at how much better the new one looks!! Now, don’t laugh at me, but I didn’t even know there was a new wing on the market. I know wing’s followers are not too excited about the smaller luggage and fuel tank capacity, but I’ve never owned/ridden a wing, so I wouldn’t know what I’m missing out on. One thing that got my attention right away was the front suspension setup. I’m not sure what Honda’s goal was when they redesigned the bike, but if the wanted to attract younger riders, they nailed it in IMHO!!! I never thought I was going to say “I like Honda Goodwins” at the age of 32, but I sure like the bike and wish I could put yet another bike in my garage. Here is a link in case you want to do some reading (if you haven’t already). Look at all the torque pretty mucho off idle. So, any of you guys will be buying one? If so, make sure you share your experience/thoughts.
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2018-honda-gold-wing-tour-video?CMPID=ene032718

I have a 2010 Harley Tri-Glide for my long distance riding, and I can tell you I am looking for something else. It is brutal over bumps, hot in the summer. Did I say hot? It has a 95" engine and it is nearly useless in the summer. Stop in traffic and die...I was looking at an older Ultra Classic just to get the smaller cooler engine, but I have been considering a Wing. They put down some serious miles, and from the looks of it they do it very comfortably.

I owned a 78 GL 1000 wing it was great back in the day. Also have many miles on the gl1500, and newer 1800. Rode a. 2016 FSB1800 one hundred miles through back roads last year. Great bikes, and I would enjoy one some day. However the new wing has a few issues to sort out, and my BusaWing has more storage, better handling, 48 mpg average, and seriously insane speed!
DSC_2327.JPG
1521412778420.jpg

I have looked long and hard at the Wing. My conclusion is that this is a great bike and it is maybe the best around at mile munching (even with the small tank). It is maybe the most comfortable bike around too. It's good that they cut some weight off this one and it is said to handle much sportier than previous iterations. The double wishbone suspension is a direct copy of the BMW duo-level suspension. This suspension separates the turning and braking forces and works extremely well on the BMW. You can actually steer the bike in full trail braking mode! In the case of the GW, the front wheel actually moves more or less straight up and down, instead of up and to the rear like forks. This keeps the wheelbase constant and allowed a shorter bike. The GW also has what I would consider the best rider entertainment system going and it uses Apple Talk. But there are some big oops in the application and the Wiing has buttons all over the cockpit, totally confusing. BMW has the wonder wheel to control everything. Far superior but the Alpine system sucks, especially the BT. Sort of ironic....

Which is the best touring bike out there? GW probably for getting from A to B when A to B is a long way. BMW is hands down the most fun big bike going and the engine is like a Hayabusa with a bowtie. I don't get the GW engine though. 1800 CC and no horsepower and less torque than the BMW's 1600 cc. GW forgot they had the BMW as competition, and they were focusing on the big V-twins I guess. If you are comparing, to me the GW is competing with HD's, Indians, etc. The BMW is more distance capable but still frisky.

Both of these bikes are way expensive but they are packed with some pretty impressive technology. The GW has the DCT too, which is sort of unnecessary but still cool. It will take you a month just to learn your way around the cockpit too.

I was suprised just how low the GW's hp/trq was.
I know it's no sportbike, but 1800cc, and can't break 100hp.
It's a Honda, so it must be the minimum hp to get the thing moving, while keeping the best mpg.
I'm still going to buy another gsxr1k, but have been seriously looking at early 2000's GW's as a second bike, for the wife and I to cruise comfortably.
I see plenty on CL for around $4k, with 50k-80k miles. Not too bad, for all I want it for.

I have looked long and hard at the Wing. My conclusion is that this is a great bike and it is maybe the best around at mile munching (even with the small tank). It is maybe the most comfortable bike around too. It's good that they cut some weight off this one and it is said to handle much sportier than previous iterations. The double wishbone suspension is a direct copy of the BMW duo-level suspension. This suspension separates the turning and braking forces and works extremely well on the BMW. You can actually steer the bike in full trail braking mode! In the case of the GW, the front wheel actually moves more or less straight up and down, instead of up and to the rear like forks. This keeps the wheelbase constant and allowed a shorter bike. The GW also has what I would consider the best rider entertainment system going and it uses Apple Talk. But there are some big oops in the application and the Wiing has buttons all over the cockpit, totally confusing. BMW has the wonder wheel to control everything. Far superior but the Alpine system sucks, especially the BT. Sort of ironic....

Which is the best touring bike out there? GW probably for getting from A to B when A to B is a long way. BMW is hands down the most fun big bike going and the engine is like a Hayabusa with a bowtie. I don't get the GW engine though. 1800 CC and no horsepower and less torque than the BMW's 1600 cc. GW forgot they had the BMW as competition, and they were focusing on the big V-twins I guess. If you are comparing, to me the GW is competing with HD's, Indians, etc. The BMW is more distance capable but still frisky.

Both of these bikes are way expensive but they are packed with some pretty impressive technology. The GW has the DCT too, which is sort of unnecessary but still cool. It will take you a month just to learn your way around the cockpit too.
You are correct about the high price tag, but it is not expensive for all you are getting on these bikes(bimmer or wing). I just feel that I wouldn’t enjoy a BMW, since I would always be worried about the next thing to break and how expensive it would be to fix it. I’ve put down payments a couple of times on BMW vehicles before and backed out at last minute. After doing work myself on friends bimmers to save them money, I can’t say I feel good about the money spent on parts alone, even if you can do the work yourself. All that being said, I wonder how it would feel to ride the bimmer and wing back to back for comparison.

Last edited:
Six, look at the BMW K16 GTL. Much sportier bike with respectable HP/torque especially compared to the older GW's. Older K16's are affordable and the bike is essentially the same since 2011. Hondas might be a bit more reliable but I haven't found any major issues with the BMW's so far in my research.

I owned a 78 GL 1000 wing it was great back in the day. Also have many miles on the gl1500, and newer 1800. Rode a. 2016 FSB1800 one hundred miles through back roads last year. Great bikes, and I would enjoy one some day. However the new wing has a few issues to sort out, and my BusaWing has more storage, better handling, 48 mpg average, and seriously insane speed!View attachment 1580219View attachment 1580220
Bryan,
I have to confess that some times I’m jealous of your height and weight. I would love to sit on my busa and feel that is nice and roomy, but at almost 6 feet tall and 220lbs, it sure doesn’t feel like a big/roomy bike. I guess I would have to try your handlebar setup and seat to see the difference, but the wind protection won’t be there I’m sure. I gave up on windscreens and just left the touring one on and use earplugs. At least with this one I can see the gauges.

Reactions: c10
You are correct about the high price tag, but it is not expensive for all you are getting on these bikes(bimmer or wind). I just feel that I wouldn’t enjoy a BMW, since I would always be worried about the next thing to break and how expensive it would be to fix it. I’ve put down payments a couple of times on BMW vehicles before and backed out at last minute. After doing work myself on friends bimmers to save them money, I can’t say I feel good about the money spent on parts alone, even if you can do the work yourself. All that being said, I wonder how it would feel to ride the bimmer and wing back to back for comparison.

BMWs are expensive but mine is covered for 8 years? Cost $1,000 but the headlight is $2,100 so I figure better safe than sorry. Basically when you buy a BMW you're buying a car and it's built to go 300,000+ miles. The Wing is more like a motorcycle. Honda has a decent service record though, BMW not always so.

I rode the GW very briefly. I must say it was very acceptable. It is more comfortable than my BMW, lower, and the weight is not so noticeable actually. The GW wears it very low, the BMW is a bit twitchy at slow speeds. I didn't get the GW opened up (it was privately owned), but it feels like a good ride. There is no comparing the engine though. Open the BMW up and it has some serious thrust and a great growl (even with OEM exhaust). The BMW also feels very light on it's feet at speed. And that's really it. The BMW is still a sporty bike, the GW is laid back easy riding.

Bryan,
I have to confess that some times I’m jealous of your height and weight. I would love to sit on my busa and feel that is nice and roomy, but at almost 6 feet tall and 220lbs, it sure doesn’t feel like a big/roomy bike. I guess I would have to try your handlebar setup and seat to see the difference, but the wind protection won’t be there I’m sure. I gave up on windscreens and just left the touring one on and use earplugs. At least with this one I can see the gauges.

Interesting right now my Busa is just as comfortable as the BMW to me. You have to get the muscles used to different stresses when you go from laid down to upright. It is way quieter, but I am going to an after market windscreen because I'm sticking way up over the stock one on the BMW. Occasionally get a back ache. I don't see that happening so much on the GW though. Very cushy.

I was suprised just how low the GW's hp/trq was.
I know it's no sportbike, but 1800cc, and can't break 100hp.
It's a Honda, so it must be the minimum hp to get the thing moving, while keeping the best mpg.
I'm still going to buy another gsxr1k, but have been seriously looking at early 2000's GW's as a second bike, for the wife and I to cruise comfortably.
I see plenty on CL for around $4k, with 50k-80k miles. Not too bad, for all I want it for.
Six,
I used to only look at HP on all the bikes, but after buying the dr650, I learned that not all is in HP numbers. There is some bikes that can still be a pleasure and a ton of fun to ride, even if they only have 30HP. It all depends on what you are looking for on a motorcycle and the reason why is nice to have at least 2 of them. If I want to get some of that violent acceleration, get on the busa...........more relaxed ride with great wind protection?...... get on the Connie.......... put around and explore that trail that looks interesting and go gator hunting in Florida?......... DR650. LOL!

Interesting right now my Busa is just as comfortable as the BMW to me. You have to get the muscles used to different stresses when you go from laid down to upright. It is way quieter, but I am going to an after market windscreen because I'm sticking way up over the stock one on the BMW. Occasionally get a back ache. I don't see that happening so much on the GW though. Very cushy.
Willie,
I also get some back pain on the Connie that I don’t get on the busa (maybe more upright positions causes it?)and the previous owner put a “v stream” screen that is not tall enough for me, so I’ll either get a used OEM for summers and sell this one or use the vstream for summers at its lowest setting and get an even taller screen for cooler months/longer trips.
And you are correct about getting used to riding position. I didn’t ride for 2 weeks and jumped on the busa this morning and my wrists and behind were hurting within 2 hours.

BMWs are expensive but mine is covered for 8 years? Cost $1,000 but the headlight is $2,100 so I figure better safe than sorry. Basically when you buy a BMW you're buying a car and it's built to go 300,000+ miles. The Wing is more like a motorcycle. Honda has a decent service record though, BMW not always so.

I rode the GW very briefly. I must say it was very acceptable. It is more comfortable than my BMW, lower, and the weight is not so noticeable actually. The GW wears it very low, the BMW is a bit twitchy at slow speeds. I didn't get the GW opened up (it was privately owned), but it feels like a good ride. There is no comparing the engine though. Open the BMW up and it has some serious thrust and a great growl (even with OEM exhaust). The BMW also feels very light on it's feet at speed. And that's really it. The BMW is still a sporty bike, the GW is laid back easy riding.
Willie,

That’s not bad for the extended warranty at all. The the Connie is covered until 2019 (previous owner purchased warranty) and I plan on extending it if possible. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll walk into a bimmer dealer, test ride one and go crazy over it and pull the trigger. Then, I’ll be as cool as you! :-)

Six,
I used to only look at HP on all the bikes, but after buying the dr650, I learned that not all is in HP numbers. There is some bikes that can still be a pleasure and a ton of fun to ride, even if they only have 30HP. It all depends on what you are looking for on a motorcycle and the reason why is nice to have at least 2 of them. If I want to get some of that violent acceleration, get on the busa...........more relaxed ride with great wind protection?...... get on the Connie.......... put around and explore that trail that looks interesting and go gator hunting in Florida?......... DR650. LOL!

I completely agree.

I haven't seen the new GW in person, or ever ridden any of them.
I assume the older models have less power as well. Given how fast I've seen later model GW's accelerate(all things considered), I guess I just expected a little more hp.
But, with 105 'lbs of torque, I'm sure it's got plenty of get up and go.

Bryan,

You are correct in the sense of lack of wind protection on those type of days or if your getting up there in speed with a flat bar set up, i'm a similar H & W as you mabupa , i tried a couple of different screens as well.
The flat bar is comfy but for me the B King is much better, sure there is wind blast to but its even pressure over your body compared to buffeting i had on the Bus. + 1 with earplugs :)

As for a heavy weight bike maybe an ST1300 , FJ or maybe a Beemer R1200RS someday.....

You are correct in the sense of lack of wind protection on those type of days or if your getting up there in speed with a flat bar set up, i'm a similar H & W as you mabupa , i tried a couple of different screens as well.
The flat bar is comfy but for me the B King is much better, sure there is wind blast to but its even pressure over your body compared to buffeting i had on the Bus. + 1 with earplugs :)

As for a heavy weight bike maybe an ST1300 , FJ or maybe a Beemer R1200RS someday.....

I’m sure the bking is more enjoyable as far as wind buffeting goes. For example, the DR650 is a joy to ride even at 70mph on the highway and you are completely exposed to the wind, but like you said, is clean air flow around the helmet. The busa’s screen creates too much turbulence around helmet for me.

I have a 2010 g/w with 9000 miles on it, planning on trikeing it. Got close look at 2018 g/w, some good looking bike. No front shocks as we know it. Automatic transmission option with dual clutch, sounds impressive. I think I'll just keep my 2010.

I have a 1800 03 wing with close to 300 thousand km yeah I should ride more :rolleyes: zero issues with mine apart from normal services the engines in the wings are built for longevity not for performance IMO they are great for big mile munching the wife asked me the other day are you going to buy the new 18 goldwing which cost here for the DCT TOUR 45 THOUSAND AUD dollars drive away :crazy: I said no because I could not stand having a bike like that and not riding it much At he moment not interested in doing huge miles anymore I do about 300 or 400km on the busa which suits me fine for now to the OP there is lot of nice used 1800 in the states at the moment check them out there pretty good :thumbsup:

Back