Anyone knows about refrigerators?

Vic_E55_2001

Donating Member
Registered
My damn fridge almost quit working last night. It`s runs constantly and making very little cold. No leaks, no freon smell...
Fridge is 9 years old, side by side ..

I`m sooooo not ready for new fridge right now... :banghead::banghead:

any ideas what I need to check?

Ever clean the cooling fins? Probably something else but it's a start.

r8

Never... I unplugged it this morning before going to work.

Looks like cooling fins in the bottom of the fridge, nothing on the back.

1. Clean cooling fins.

What else ?

Thanks...

Refrigerator or freezer is not cold enough

* Check the temperature setting Checked
* Assure that there is enough room for air flow in the refrigerator or freezer Checked
* Check for air flow restrictions in vents Checked
* Test the temperature control need to find out how
* Clean the condensor coils Easy one, will do later today
* Check the door seals As good as new
* Test the door switch Checked, works as it should
* Test defrost heater don`t know how to
* Test defrost timer Don`t know how to
* Test evaporator fan I can hear fan, sounds normal
* Check for a clogged drain tube Will check later today
* Check for refrigerant leak I don`t think I can do it without special equipment

9 years is a pretty good run for a fridge ain't it?

I have two 25-27 y/old fridges and they work like new... Looks old and ****ty but works fine.

9 years is not that bad, It`s nice side by side with water and ice dispenser...

We just replaced ours with a Siemens/Bosch stainless deal. I wouldn't buy this piece of crap again for all the money in Iraq!

The ice maker is designed for Europeans who use little ice. It can't keep up with the two of us.... and it's too small because SHE just had to have a counter-depth refrig.

That, and the dang thing was just under 2k.

AND, I work for Siemens............:drama:

We just replaced ours with a Siemens/Bosch stainless deal. I wouldn't buy this piece of crap again for all the money in Iraq!

The ice maker is designed for Europeans who use little ice. It can't keep up with the two of us.... and it's too small because SHE just had to have a counter-depth refrig.

That, and the dang thing was just under 2k.

AND, I work for Siemens............:drama:

2k my azz.... I will never buy fridge for that much, I`m cheap. :whistle:

This Frigidaire was working great, a lot of ice making and very quiet.

Also, was it cleaned inside recently.

Maybe the temp control knob was put on incorrectly thus saying one temp setting but actually another.

r8

there is some kind of timer under mine that runs a fan across a pan underneath (evap?) but the thing runs all the time.. the timer box is a silver thing bottom front with a knob on the front.

If you turn it it hits a spot that turns the fan off for a period and then it turns it back on forever.. (well 98% of the time) can this thing miss a notch and work backwards ? (switch is off when it should be on?)

I was about to go out and buy a new fridge till this thread.. now it has me thinking about fixing... :poke:

Mine did the same thing not too long ago. It's a side by side. Fridge wouldn't get cold, freezer was defrosting. I unplugged it and checked it out. Found nothing, plugged it in, went to the store to buy ice to keep things cool till I could figure it out and it started working again...

Also, was it cleaned inside recently.

Maybe the temp control knob was put on incorrectly thus saying one temp setting but actually another.

r8

I checked that first... In this particular model it`s not possible to put it in incorrectly

Mine did the same thing not too long ago. It's a side by side. Fridge wouldn't get cold, freezer was defrosting. I unplugged it and checked it out. Found nothing, plugged it in, went to the store to buy ice to keep things cool till I could figure it out and it started working again...

thus..."why ask why".

r8

Back