Anyone know how to actual resolve an issue with Facebook?

Cool picture of grandson and grandfather..here in Canada, once you leave the military, your right to wear a military uniform is no longer valid.

I and many of my friends abandoned Facebook as it became a pain in the arse, too many idiots on that platform and very little administrative oversight.

Don't miss it for a second...this forum is about the only computer activity I have now.

You are so right. I deleted mine 2 years ago. I couldnt stand it anymore to hear and read all about peoples issues, opinions and attention problems!
Iam also glad that I did not grow up with all that crap. We see already what social media does to kids these days and I cant see any benefits from it.

As for the military. I find it interesting how different canada and the US is in terms or pride and honour when it comes to the military.
I know many active members and also veterans thru my work and Iam amazed how poorly those guys are getting treated (by the government) especially after they leave service!

As for the military. I find it interesting how different canada and the US is in terms or pride and honour when it comes to the military.
I know many active members and also veterans thru my work and Iam amazed how poorly those guys are getting treated (by the government) especially after they leave service!

Thrown away after use-disposable is what our military veterans are...this culture is born within the military itself, there are few personal bonds built within it anymore with the younger crowd. People are there for a paycheck-period...... and could care less about much else.

I was a ranking member and the standing joke I told my peers was how long it would take them to forget me...it wasn't long, pretty much as soon as I walked out the door.

Veterans Affairs is a good organisation and there are almost endless support platforms within it. Some veterans expect the world to be handed to them as when they were serving...which is not the case.

All I can say is, I'm glad to be retired.

Thrown away after use-disposable is what our military veterans are...this culture is born within the military itself, there are few personal bonds built within it anymore with the younger crowd. People are there for a paycheck-period...... and could care less about much else.

I was a ranking member and the standing joke I told my peers was how long it would take them to forget me...it wasn't long, pretty much as soon as I walked out the door.

Veterans Affairs is a good organisation and there are almost endless support platforms within it. Some veterans expect the world to be handed to them as when they were serving...which is not the case.

All I can say is, I'm glad to be retired.

I hear you.
I workout in a gym in the military base and see all those young guys every day. I know what you mean.

Thru my job I deal with veterans affair on a very regular base and I can tell you that its a shame how long it takes them to approve medical services or treatments. Especially when it comes to extensions for treatment for lifelong injuries some have suffered. And veterans affair makes them go every year again to a doctor to re-evaluate the same condition. And iam not talking about back pain or some stuff which could disappear one day. (there was even one case a couple years ago with a vet who lost a leg in combat and he still had to go every year once to vancouver to get checked out....maybe the leg could grow back one day.,..not sure...!)

Then on the other side you have those who want to abuse the system and call themself veteran (which basically means they served in the military for 10 years or more) but have never been out of town nor have seen any form of combat. Those are the guys who want all the benefits, being released early and want to be compensated for PTSD. Oh boy dont get me started lol....
I have utter respect for someone who really served or have been in combat. But I also know there are many wannabes who just want to use the system for their advantage!

I hear you.
I workout in a gym in the military base and see all those young guys every day. I know what you mean.

Thru my job I deal with veterans affair on a very regular base and I can tell you that its a shame how long it takes them to approve medical services or treatments. Especially when it comes to extensions for treatment for lifelong injuries some have suffered. And veterans affair makes them go every year again to a doctor to re-evaluate the same condition. And iam not talking about back pain or some stuff which could disappear one day. (there was even one case a couple years ago with a vet who lost a leg in combat and he still had to go every year once to vancouver to get checked out....maybe the leg could grow back one day.,..not sure...!)

Then on the other side you have those who want to abuse the system and call themself veteran (which basically means they served in the military for 10 years or more) but have never been out of town nor have seen any form of combat. Those are the guys who want all the benefits, being released early and want to be compensated for PTSD. Oh boy dont get me started lol....
I have utter respect for someone who really served or have been in combat. But I also know there are many wannabes who just want to use the system for their advantage!

With all government departments, there are many hurtles to circumvent. I know quite a few vets who were injured in the sandbox (and other places) and yes I agree, having to go get checked out annually is a waste of time and effort however, in some cases it's the member who is asking for an annual reassessment in order to increase allowances (which they shouldn't have to).

This stuff burns my biscuit as I see the government handing out 10.8 million to a convicted terrorist who killed...whereas the soldiers who defended the free world from monsters like him are being cast aside. And this convicted terrorist was not the only one winning the governmental lottery-there were others but their cases were very quietly and discreetly settled...:banghead:

It is a shame the way governments treat their veterans. My father was telling me he would love to live in a nice rural community but unless he is near a military base for him to get health care is just to much an effort. So he stays up in the Northern Virginia area believing the best health care he and my mom can get is from the military facilities up there.
Hoping they will improve a bit by the time my son retires from the military.

Cool picture of grandson and grandfather..here in Canada, once you leave the military, your right to wear a military uniform is no longer valid.

I talked to my dad about this. Canada really does give the military a short end of the stick. In the US a military retired veteran can wear their uniform unless its in a demonstration against the government or into a court situation, otherwise he was told he could wear his. However he retired in 1986 so the Army uniform is completely different here now . He has gotten together with other retired veterans on occasion to all dress in their uniforms (if they can still fit in them, LOL) and reminisce about their military careers. Guess Canada would not allow that.

I talked to my dad about this. Canada really does give the military a short end of the stick. In the US a military retired veteran can wear their uniform unless its in a demonstration against the government or into a court situation, otherwise he was told he could wear his. However he retired in 1986 so the Army uniform is completely different here now . He has gotten together with other retired veterans on occasion to all dress in their uniforms (if they can still fit in them, LOL) and reminisce about their military careers. Guess Canada would not allow that.
Our military is not a priority here in Canada, it is allowed to lapse into oblivion.

As for wearing of our uniforms, no that would not be allowed. We keep our dress uniforms when we retire (for what reason I don't know). I didn't bother to keep mine.

It is a shame the way governments treat their veterans. My father was telling me he would love to live in a nice rural community but unless he is near a military base for him to get health care is just to much an effort. So he stays up in the Northern Virginia area believing the best health care he and my mom can get is from the military facilities up there.
Hoping they will improve a bit by the time my son retires from the military.

It took me 2 yrs to get a doctor after I retired. I had to go to the emergency ward to get my prescription filled which was a pain in the arse....I finally have a Dr but he is so busy it is a challenge to get an appt.

Unlike the US military, our dependants do not get medical coverage, it is strictly for military members. My wife and kids had their own family Dr (which I couldn't see).

Unlike the US military, our dependants do not get medical coverage, it is strictly for military members

Wow sounds like Canada really treats you veterans like crap. Yeah the wives get medical care here, thought it would be the same in Canada, sorry to hear the way they treat you.

Wow sounds like Canada really treats you veterans like crap. Yeah the wives get medical care here, thought it would be the same in Canada, sorry to hear the way they treat you.

Nope, totally different way of thinking between our two militaries.

There are good things with ours, our pensions are decent and while we are serving we are looked after (we don't buy our uniforms for example and our training is pretty top notch).

When we were in Afghanistan, our forces were pound for pound as good as any other nation we worked with. The Taliban would go out of their way to avoid getting in contact with us as they knew we would bring the fight to them hard.

Back