Anyone interested in buying this website?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone interested in purchasing and running this website? I will throw in the email software, all of the content, the board, and the servers too. I can provide the stats and show that we are receiving over a million hits, and that we have over 20,000 unique IP's every month. At this point I am just throwing the idea around, so let me know........

sad.gif

Sounds like a lot of work and $$$. May I ask about your websever setup and software. Are you using share point team services. Are you doing this for free? As of now, I am the webmaster for www.midwestmasters.org - I get some free stuff for this!

This is 100% out of my pocket. I took on this domain as a simple little website that I could admin from the house and that I could keep my skills sharpened. I used to work for PSINet in the installation and integration department, also the second level web support. I am now a director at a telecomm and I dont get to practice my skills every day. This site has really taken off and it has become very time intrusive. I cant just let things go by, if there is a problem then it's in my nature to fix it, I won't get any sleep until I do. I promised and still believe that this site as long as I admin it will never charge or solicite money from the members, that is not my intention. I am paying for a T1, and all the servers, the IP's, the software, and the countless hours that are priceless with two young boys stomping around. In a perfect world the business owners that have merchandise for sell on the web would pay for banner advertisement, and help offset the cost... But this is definately not a perfect world. There have been other websites like this one that have gone through the same problems, time and again this will continue to happen. This site moves a lot of traffic and anything less than a T1 will never work unless you take all the videos off and strip it bare bones, the sheer volume is incredible. The hack attempts never seem to stop, and you must always improve or the site will be compromised. I have not definately made up my mind what I am going to do yet, it's not that I don't have the money, it's that I am not sure that I want to spend it on this site any more. I have around 15k tied up in firewall and servers right now, did you know that I could have bought a Hahn Turbo for that!!!! Case in point. I will keep everyone up to date on my thoughts....

I'm new to the site but have very much enjoyed it thus far. It's been very helpful as a soon to be new 'busa owner. Thanks for your time.

Yes I am still new to the site, but I enjoy the "No Kids" aspect of this site. Haha, anyone ever been to the Cycle World forums?? Yuck!

Someone please buy this site and keep it going! I would, but I know nothing about IP's servers, and all that stuff... just bikes.

Guys I don't wan't anyone to panic, this site will be up one way or the other, I have no intentions on just pulling the plug. I am simply looking at my options and seeing what might present itself. Keep posting here and telling your friends about it, we are only going to get better. (with your continued help of course.)

Little does the average internet user understand the time and $$$ that goes into a site. I have a websever setup at home with a DSL line. Not being an expert, it took me 6 weeks just to get the server working and setting up a static IP with my ISP another 6 weeks. Finally got a senior tech on a weekend night to get things working from there end. For all you users, I picked up a used server for $1,500 with NT. CHEAP! DSL service - $110 a month. Virus attacks - at least once a week. How about the noise and ele costs. Sit in a room with a server for a day, talk about noise. Then there's the AC cost HEAT-HEAT-HEAT. You get the drift..... Thank the Caption BIG TIME.

Lets make another clarification, I do not consider myself an expert, just a regular guy that has a knack to get by. I spend a lot of time on the site, probably triple the time of someone that actually knows what they are doing. hahahaha I am really at a point where I need to find out where I want to spend my time and money. My wife is the BEST there is, guys she never complains about the money or the time I spend sitting in front of a computer. I like the site, and I like having it available for people to use. We (the hayabusa team -- myself, maximum71, and even narcissus) are at a critical point, do we continue to keep going and steer this site to the next level, or do we bail while the life raft is close? More to come !!!!1

Captain -

I am EXTREMELY entertained by this site, and I've only been on it less than a month (Just 'stumbled' across it one day). I know what you have said about fees, etc., but I don't think there are too many of us out there who WOULDN'T chuck in a few bucks a year to keep it going - you know like $10/year or something similar to a mag. subscription. Based on membership, is that enough to do any good? I know you said its not about the money, but WITH the money, you could pay someone to do routine upkeep, thereby freeing up more of your time, which I can see from the site, is your biggest enemy. Let's face it, if we could all afford $10k (or whatever) to buy the meanest machine on the planet, we can afford $10 to talk to our fellow riders about it!!! By no means am I complaining that this forum is free!!! :hammerhead:
Rock ON!!!

bwilken, thanks for the support, I refuse to take money from the members! I don't believe that charging is the right thing to do. I am exploring some other options to see what we can come up with. We are thinking way outside the box so hang on it could be an interesting ride. The members need to know that just like your own community that you live in this board will only be as good as the people that post here, and the more involvement that we have the better it gets. I am blown away that every day we gave been having 20 new members on the board, howlong can that go on? Thanks for the support now lets see what we can do together.

Thanks

In my opinion this is the best hayabusa site not to mention the best bike site that I have seen. Great job Captain.

Well this post is almost a year old now and I for one am very happy to see that our Captain is still the happy owner of the best site going.
Thanks for all you do Captain.
Keep up the good work.
Jim

Hmmm,
rock.gif

If only we could use PayPal to send you some time.

I'd like to see the other options. Maybe a pool of "investors"/benefactors...just thinking out loud. I don't think the site would be the same without you guys running it.

I just love this site Cap, my life would be a lot more boring without it. Options options...

so, its raining out... tidying up the place a bit... come across this thread.
pissed.gif
We can NOT let this go to foreign hands. Captain, if you ever get the itch again please contact those of us that care.... thats all I got to say about that.

If there was a "trash" forum, this would go there. No disrespect.

Lets make another clarification, I do not consider myself an expert, just a regular guy that has a knack to get by. I spend a lot of time on the site, probably triple the time of someone that actually knows what they are doing. hahahaha I am really at a point where I need to find out where I want to spend my time and money. My wife is the BEST there is, guys she never complains about the money or the time I spend sitting in front of a computer. I like the site, and I like having it available for people to use. We (the hayabusa team -- myself, maximum71, and even narcissus) are at a critical point, do we continue to keep going and steer this site to the next level, or do we bail while the life raft is close? More to come !!!!1
I hear you Bro. I am not sure how you do it now, but my hat goes off to you. I know I could not run it the way you do. I will help support your decision in what ever it is.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Well this post is almost a year old now and I for one am very happy to see that our Captain is still the happy owner of the best site going.  
Thanks for all you do Captain.  
Keep up the good work.
Jim
Thanks for pointing that out and bringing me back to reality.

There are ways to fund a site like this with out charging the members. Vendors who benefit should support it, but as Captain said, that would be in a perfect world. In this world, it would take considerable work to make that happen.

What do I do..i am addicted along with any others..this has to be the coolest Haybusa site in the world.....HELP..what needs to happen to keep it up and running?...Just ask..

Back