Anyone here using wind power at home?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I have been tinkering and beta testing my own designs using serveral different companies to create electricity from wind... Is there anyone on this forum that has experience or knowledge about wind turbines before I pull the trigger and go live?

cap

one of the wineries here has switched to running 100% of their operations from wind energy. They have erected 2 windmills and I hear a third is on the way to allow them to grow even more. We know the owners but I suspect he's probably more on the "this is what I want make it happen" side than the guy actually figuring out how the hell it all works :laugh:

What is the location like where you would place the turbine? Do you have to deal with an association / neighborhood rules / regs?
Are there obstructions such as a tree line or is it more of a top of a hill / open field area?
Would it be a vertical type (like a barber pole) or one that looks like a propeller?
Some of the prop type have blades that self adjust their pitch to the amount of wind for a given time...

Pros
•Clean energy, no fuel to drill, frack, mine, transport or burn
•Renewable and sustainable
•Costs are relatively low and continue to decrease
•Abundant domestic supply (16X current electric demand!)
•The power is essentially free once the infrastructure is paid for.
•Low life cycle carbon footprint. Breakeven in eight months.
•Can be used almost anywhere.

Cons
•As mentioned earlier, the wind is inconsistent, unsteady and unpredictable
•Wind power is not cheap and like many energy sources, rely on government subsidies to remain competitive.
•Wind farms are generally located in rural areas that might be otherwise picturesque. They are considered by some people to be an eyesore.
•Some people complain of noise from the turbines.
•Wildlife impact. Not only birds, but bats have experienced fatalities.
•Localized impact on night-time temperatures and weather

Wind Energy Pros and Cons - Hobby Farms

Home Wind Turbine - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to engage on it... I have been beta testing and the results are unbelievable. I am about just outside a major wind lane in Oklahoma. The average wind speed at my house is 15.6 MPH.

This is going to be a big self project that honestly is going to be a lot of fun. I have about 500 hours of research so far and we have done some preliminary testing with a basic wind system... The plan is two turbines, 12 batteries and a grid tie inverter to run my meter backwards (hopefully)....

My first test.......

Last edited:
Back