anyone here running the Houston Half Mile?

Mont

Registered
The Houston Mile I don't think mine is going to be ready in time, so we are probably going to take my oldest's truck out there again instead. We could do with a little less rain this time around too. ;) Anyone else going? It's the same strip they land AF1 on when it's in town and it's smooth and straight.

Unless some wrenching miracle happens and I get the 'busa back in time, I will be there on my Rune going 118 again. Josh, what bike number do you normally run?

rune.jpg

Usually #20 but they said they didn't get my paperwork before and now I'll be #202! :beerchug:

Both me and my oldest are entered. Neither of us have been assigned a number yet, but it should be something with a 4 in it on mine. We will be there as soon as they let us through the gates. If I get time, I am going to trailer it over for tech on Friday and see if they can tech it right on the trailer. Otherwise, I will just unload and reload it. Mine should top out on the limiter at 117 and Zach is hoping for a 140 pass with a little horsepower add. I will make it a point to stop by and say hello, Josh.

Any predictions on 1/2 mile speeds ?

I don't want to get my hopes up, 190+ for now would work... :thumbsup:

Both me and my oldest are entered. Neither of us have been assigned a number yet, but it should be something with a 4 in it on mine. We will be there as soon as they let us through the gates. If I get time, I am going to trailer it over for tech on Friday and see if they can tech it right on the trailer. Otherwise, I will just unload and reload it. Mine should top out on the limiter at 117 and Zach is hoping for a 140 pass with a little horsepower add. I will make it a point to stop by and say hello, Josh.

I'll keep an eye out for you guys... :beerchug:

Zach and I had a really good time Saturday. It got off to an interesting start when his battery died on the way to the track. Fortunately, I had replaced the trailer battery on Friday with a brand new one and they were out of deep discharge batteries. I got a $79 on sale cranking battery that did the trick. We probably don't have to worry about NASCAR calling us to come work for them, since that little fiasco cost us a full hour of dorking with it. For some reason, electric tongue jacks don't work so well without a battery. We both laughed and solved that with the jumper cables. The videos are mostly to show the track and layout. Two are from my bike, and one is from the top of Zach's truck with me in front. That track is super smooth and very wide. We found that the lights were a little faster the closer you ran to them. By 3:30, there was no waiting line to run. In fact, I waved a car past me suiting up on my last run. It still takes me a bit to get all that gear on and there wasn't any need to hold the line up over it. We got in 5 runs, plus 1 "safety" pass over a rules interpretation. There isn't any part of "no" from a race director that needs much interpretation anyways in my book. It's his race and his call.

Josh, it was good to meet you and you had some good looking runs.

is my 4th pass. I missed 3rd, and it cost me about 3 MPH.

is from the top of my kids truck. I put down a 109.9 and he put down a 140.1. I found that being slightly excited over having to make a safety pass in the prior run helped my concentration. ;)

(long) is a grand tour of the place. With all the five ohh that they had out there, they could have used one on each end of the water hazard to make sure it was one way. They didn't ask me for advice though, so I kept my mouth shut. Slow racing through the water reminded me of some rallies I have been to.

camp.jpg

mwrun2.jpg

zachstruck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice seeing you and finally meeting you guys. Hope to see you out on the BUSA next time... :)

I didn't realize your son was racing the truck, that thing was cool... :thumbsup:

I got my 'busa back today from the exhaust & shifter work. The Rune got tech'd in at 3:15 or so Friday and at exactly 5:05, the shop called and said my bike was ready. It was just one of those things that the timing was a little too close on. No big deal. The shifter they put on isn't killing the ignition right anyways, so it's probably a good thing I didn't have it to run. I would much rather sort out things like that close to home instead of having a problem at the track. The new pipes we fabbed up miss my heels now, so at least that part is solved. I still can't get over how smooth that runway is. With any luck, the October race that Billy was talking about putting on there will happen and also be a full mile. I guess time will tell, though. He sure had a rough go of things on his last pass.

I can't wait for 1-Mile racing to come to Houston! I live about an hour away from the track and things couldn't be more perfect for the facility, area, hotels, etc..for people traveling. It's really going to be a nice event... :thumbsup:

Congrats on your 196.8 pass, Josh and especially during the heat of the day like that. Without giving up any secrets, how close to full sidewall listed pressure did you run your tires out there? I know there's always tradeoffs, but that strip has plenty of traction.

No secrets on my bike, feel free to ask any questions...it's just a basic build with proven parts. I started the day out with 30psi and as temps increased it was right at 32psi. No problems hooking at all. At Texas I ran 36psi and got a lot of wheel spin in 5th and 6th gear... ;)

Back