Anyone here ride a DRZ?

little brother had the 650 version.. a bit heavy.. the 400 is probably lots better.

biggrin.gif

http://www.pashnit.com/bikes/SuzukiDRZ-martins.htm

Martin-Brown-drz-3-sm.jpg

Martin-Brown-drz-4-rightside-sm.jpg

Martin-Brown-drz-5-wheel-sm.jpg

He tried to talk me into a motard, but I want this thing primarily for the dirt. The stock tires gotta go................

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129080308 -->

I got a 02 klr 650. It is out dated but what a blast I have with it. It makes a great comuter bike and keeps me from bringing my busa into the city. Since I got it I hardly drive anything else except when I get that need for speed.:)

Sorry for the late reply.

I've had a DRZ 400S for the last few years. It is a blast and IMHO the best dual sport period. It is not 250 2stroke fast but it doesn't "work" you to death either. It runs like a tractor. It's as happy in 3rd as it is in 1st on trails. Pleanty of power throughout the range.

Great suspension, brakes and egros. It feels more like a dirt bike than any of the 650cc enduro/dual sport.

I use dirt tires and they work great on the street. Tire life isn't really an issue (as bad as one might think). A buddy of mine used it riding at the gap and didn't have a problem using knobbies on the dragon. It's fairly stable up until around 90mph then the bars get a bit buzzy. I've had mine over 100, but I don't reccomend it.

THE NEGATIVES.

That little bag on the back is useless. I mounted a larger tail pack which works great.

The battery looks like it came out of a "barbie" car and it is like $90 to replace.

No kickstarter, though there is a "kit" out there to convert it.

Needs "real" handgards. I mounted Moose bark busters and they work well.

Too Quiet to get respect, lol. Yoshi off road pipe is wonderfully loud.

My thoughts anyway,
'
Chris

I'm with you.. that silly willy plastic hand guard would be getting the ax for a set of serious bark busters..

Sorry for the late reply.

I've had a DRZ 400S for the last few years. It is a blast and IMHO the best dual sport period. It is not 250 2stroke fast but it doesn't "work" you to death either. It runs like a tractor. It's as happy in 3rd as it is in 1st on trails. Pleanty of power throughout the range.

Great suspension, brakes and egros. It feels more like a dirt bike than any of the 650cc enduro/dual sport.

I use dirt tires and they work great on the street. Tire life isn't really an issue (as bad as one might think). A buddy of mine used it riding at the gap and didn't have a problem using knobbies on the dragon. It's fairly stable up until around 90mph then the bars get a bit buzzy. I've had mine over 100, but I don't reccomend it.

THE NEGATIVES.

That little bag on the back is useless. I mounted a larger tail pack which works great.

The battery looks like it came out of a "barbie" car and it is like $90 to replace.

No kickstarter, though there is a "kit" out there to convert it.

Needs "real" handgards. I mounted Moose bark busters and they work well.

Too Quiet to get respect, lol. Yoshi off road pipe is wonderfully loud.

My thoughts anyway,
'
Chris
Thanks, you nailed every one of my negatives with the bike, but it is still the best choice for me.. After spending just a small amount of time on it I am amazed at the suspension. I have owned several enduros over the years and this is the bike I always wanted them to be. Power is nice, but the suspention is top knotch. For serious use in the dirt it only needs better tires (coming very soon). I have owned a couple big thumper enduros- loved the unreal torque- but even the current ones are all old school, air cooled and over 100 lbs heavier than this thing is soaking wet. It's almost like having an RMZ with a tag on the back.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129170248 -->

I haven't had a bike in nearly 10 years and I'm *seriously* considering getting the DRZ400S.  Good to see some more positive reviews here.  I had a CR125 as a teenager and rode a variety of dirtbikes back then and I miss it sooo much.  It's amazing I've waited this long, but due to moving for a job and not meeting people into dirtbiking I've just put it off.  I've always been a little scared of street bikes -- though I've ridden a few (I'm not scared when I'm actually ON the bike) -- and so have never seriously considered owning one.  But then the infrequency of my dirt riding future makes it hard to justify getting one.  So the thought of getting something I could maybe use a couple days a week commuting and playing on the streets/trail hunting seems like a reasonable compromise; giving up the ole two stroke thrills. Heck, at this point I'd be on cloud 9 to just to drive 20 mph on a dirt road with a couple of two inch bumps.  So I've been happy to discover the DRZ which may in fact be able to deliver a real dirt bike experience while being able to take it on the road when I can't scratch the itch properly.

I have three words for you;

Bayerische Motoren Werke

Hahaha....seriously...if it's not out of your budget....and if you want a kick ass dual sport for nice dirt riding and street legal fun, the Beemers aint that bad. A bit TOO heavy for serious dirt riding though.

Why is it almost every bike out there seems to need rear fender/undertail work when in stock form? Went from the gaudy mud flap in the previous pics to this slick LED tail light/fender arrangment thanks to momma hooking me up for Christmas. She still remembers cringing as I went crazy with a Dremel on the rear of my two week old Busa. This one was a bit easier as you simply remove the entire stock piece.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135566470 -->

BD_Tail_007.jpg

The tires made a huge difference, but that was to be expected. Seems like everything I do to this bike makes a big difference. It really responds well to the usual engine mods. Sure is nice to be rid of that monster rear mudflap.

Back