Anyone Here Own Acreage ???

Very expensive, to possibly hugely expensive. Septic tank 2kish (been years since I put one in) Well 4-5k, power depends on the power company and how far they have to run lines to your land and on your land. Also depending on the State you could face impact fees. My friend bought land in Tenn. to retire on and when he went to pull permits to build they informed him of a impact fee that was so big he gave up and sold the property.
But if you proceed (depending on your area) get at least ten so you can get an AG exemption on prop. taxes. cuts 90% off you property taxes.

well now days depending on depth 10k
septic also depends on grade etc 10k
propane tank 1k roughly for 500 g cost to fill average buck a gallon.
cost to run the line to the house from said propane tank 5k.
all the permits etc from local gov to epa gets pricey usually.
I have no input on the electrical but i bet pricey.

Well now days depending on depth . $ 10 k

Septic also depends on grade etc. $ 10 k

Propane tank $ 1 k roughly for 500 gallon cost to fill average buck a gallon .

Cost to run the line to the house from said propane tank $ 5 k .

All the permits from local government to EPA gets pricey usually .

I have no input on the electrical but I bet pricey .

7692399_orig.jpg

6 acres, to do whatever u want??
That's not alot. And you said sewer, so would that be town/city limits?
I'm on the edge of my town with just over 2 acres, dead end, borders trees. There's about 8 acres I use, 4wheeler trails.
If I had just sold a mansion, I would be looking at acres by the hundred.
There is 255 acres for sale near me, in the county. I've had my eye on it for years now, but too many irons in the fire right now.

Thanks for the update Vip, I didn't know how behind I was on prices. BTW for solar again depending on the state you cannot get a permit to habitat without being hooked to "the grid", here in Fl. you can't be self sufficient...:<(

Don't forget about septic and perk tests. We bought 15 acres for our little bit of heaven and had to have a pumped septic system because the land only perked in one location. You can't build anything without an approved plumbing plan. Its the starting point. I'd make a perk test contingent on the buy contract.

We also struggled to find acreage that had high speed access. It literally took over a year of looking in the area to find our landing place. Power and cable services go together! If you have the power company laying underground power and setting a transformer you sure better have your cable company laying pipe in the same ditch. They can follow the power but will charge by the foot if they have to dig.

Good luck. PM me if you'd like to discuss. We've been settled on the new property for a bit over 2 years now.

our house sits on about 4.5 acres and wish we had more... trying to get the neighbor to sell us some of his that sits next to ours... wish us luck and hope it works out.. only bad thing is cutting the grass...lol

Don't forget about septic and perk tests. We bought 15 acres for our little bit of heaven and had to have a pumped septic system because the land only perked in one location. You can't build anything without an approved plumbing plan. Its the starting point. I'd make a perk test contingent on the buy contract.

We also struggled to find acreage that had high speed access. It literally took over a year of looking in the area to find our landing place. Power and cable services go together! If you have the power company laying underground power and setting a transformer you sure better have your cable company laying pipe in the same ditch. They can follow the power but will charge by the foot if they have to dig.

Good luck. PM me if you'd like to discuss. We've been settled on the new property for a bit over 2 years now.
Thanks for the input.
We live in the Sandhills of NC, so the ground is pretty percky over here. Trying to figure out if I should get 12 or 6 acres, but really all I need is privacy, a big workshop and the ability to do some things not allowed in gated communities, such as detached buildings, sheds, guest quarters etc. We have a contractor who has done a few wells and septic in the area, so far all looks good and just found out we have power. The lots here are extremely wooded with Pine trees, so the plan would be to just clear the use areas and leave the rest totally natural, low maintenance.

Go with 12 acres.
A 4wheeler/atv is nice to cruise the property and perimeter on.
Enough property for a nice trail system for bicycling and walking too.
6 acres doesn't sound like enough to easily conceal all of what you want from the visibilty of the city or state road

Thanks for the input.
We live in the Sandhills of NC, so the ground is pretty percky over here. Trying to figure out if I should get 12 or 6 acres, but really all I need is privacy, a big workshop and the ability to do some things not allowed in gated communities, such as detached buildings, sheds, guest quarters etc. We have a contractor who has done a few wells and septic in the area, so far all looks good and just found out we have power. The lots here are extremely wooded with Pine trees, so the plan would be to just clear the use areas and leave the rest totally natural, low maintenance.

Do you have to have a cleared bit of land around the house incase of fires ? Or just a real good escape plan ?

Do you have to have a cleared bit of land around the house incase of fires ? Or just a real good escape plan ?

Never happened in this area, current home is also surrounded by dense pine trees, hence the name Pinehurst. Even if they have controlled brush fires, the pine needles are like 30-40 feet above ground so they don't burn. Never knew folks could make a living selling Pine-straw, but it is good business over here selling at $4.50 a small bale.

Most of the costs will depend on were you are at, but the higher costs stated above seem pretty good for what we see here in Iowa. I'm on 3 acres in a house built in 1948. There aren't many newer houses around because since about 1981 the counties created ordinances that require you to have 40 acres to build a new house. So you are in $300k or more just for the land if you could find a 40 acre plot. I could tear down my house and build on the existing ground but the house was too expensive (for me) to do that. I'm typically surrounded by corn from May to November.

As huge as 6 acres seems now, it's going to get "used up" pretty fast once you get going! You'll want to look for at least 20, if you can and 40 would probably make you feel a lot more cozy. The shape of the plot matters a bit, too. If you get a perfect square or something slightly rectangular, you'll be better off. Also, the terrain matters as well. A hillside takes a lot of work to build on but they are definitely beautiful when you're done. Trees add value and scenery but they, too, can impede your building plans.

Good luck with all of that!

--Wag--

Do you have to have
a cleared bit of land
around the house
incase of fires ?

Or just a real
good escape plan ?

:poke:

Back