Anyone have Handy Ind. stands?

Darden

Registered
Just got my Handy Industries front and rear stands for my
'04 LE.

My question is.......what's the proper way to put the bike up on the REAR stand? I know I should be able to do it alone but, I just don't get the warm-fuzzies balancing the bike with one hand while trying to step on the stand at the same time.

What am I doing wrong?

Just takes practice...

Which type stand do you have? Bobbins are easier IMOP.

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116050909 -->

Darden,

Ok, I am assuming that you have rear spools? The next question is do you have the grab rail on? With the hump only,(no grab rail mod), it is very tricky to upright the bike and lift onto the stand. The grab rail allows you to upright the bike, and then transition the weight from the tire to the rear spools. Just like a lever.

Stealth

The grab rail is still installed. Just seems like this type of rear stand does not have enough leverage to use "just my hands". Is it normal to have to step on the stand?

It is easy; use spools if at all possible. I balance the bike with my left hand from the grab rail. Oh yeah, have someone stand on either side of the bike your first few times doing this! While balancing the bike straight up (keep the kick stand down too), roll the rear stand into place. Once you get the hooks under the spools, push down on the stand slightly to be sure you are centered and balanced. Then put your weight into it and the bike will come up on the stand. Like KS said, "it takes practice."

Postal.

stands.jpg

i do it a little different than the other guy that gave a procedure..

I put mine on the kickstand.. go around back, get the left side lined up on on the thing.. slide around toward the side of the bike.. enough to push it closer to straight up and down (not all the way though.. .. just enough to get the spool, and hook thing touching each other... then push the stand down... not lifted the bike yet.. just have both side locked into the spools... slide around the back, and... hoist!

lemme explain it another way.. I get the left hook lined up/hooked then push the bike towards upright while at the same time lining up the right side... you don't need to push the bike totally upright.. normally just an inch, or two will get it to where the hook is touching the bobbin enough to guide it in to where it needs to be.

once you get both side secured in the hook thing... just don't let up on the bar and it will hold itself pretty secure.. then you just gotta get behind and push the bar down with some authority and viola.. she's up..

the front is kinda tricky too... the biggest secret there is to lift slowly, and make sure the nipple things are going in the holes before you really start lifting or they will slid out.

once you get em' up they are sturdy enough to have a party on.

you guys should try putting a hayabusa on a rear stand with no kickstand and nobody around.. that is a unnerving situation.

i do it a little different than the other guy that gave a procedure..

I put mine on the kickstand.. go around back, get the left side lined up on on the thing..   slide around toward the side of the bike.. enough to push it closer to straight up and down (not all the way though.. .. just enough to get the spool, and hook thing touching each other... then push the stand down... not lifted the bike yet.. just have both side locked into the spools... slide around the back, and... hoist!

lemme explain it another way..   I get the left hook lined up/hooked then push the bike towards upright while at the same time lining up the right side...   you don't need to push the bike totally upright.. normally just an inch, or two will get it to where the hook is touching the bobbin enough to guide it in to where it needs to be.

once you get both side secured in the hook thing...  just don't let up on the bar and it will hold itself pretty secure.. then you just gotta get behind and push the bar down with some authority and viola.. she's up..

the front is kinda tricky too... the biggest secret there is to lift slowly, and make sure the nipple things are going in the holes before you really start lifting or they will slid out.

once you get em' up they are sturdy enough to have a party on.

you guys should try putting a hayabusa on a rear stand with no kickstand and nobody around.. that is a unnerving situation.
Well explained, same method I use.

to make a long story short put a block of wood under you kickstand so that the bike stands almost straight (be carefull here). Then it just become easier to maintain balance when lifting with the handy stand

I have the pads for mine. I put enough pressure to get it upright, then with the left hand on the grab bar, I push down on the stand with my right hand. Goes right up one handed with no problem. The front can be tricky trying to line it up though.

If you do keep the hump on...the hole on the left side of the rear fairing will let you grab directly on the frame. That's what I use.

I stand at the rear of the bike on the right side(opposite the kickstand) get the stand ready behind the bike and pull the bike up vertical by the opposite side of the seat. slide the stand under and put some pressure on it to stablize it and go around back and push it up.

I stand on the right side so if its starts falling away from the kickstand I can catch it and if it starts going back toward the kickstand side it will catch it.
smile.gif

Back