anyone have diabetes

I'm so glad you went so soon!!! We don't need to lose you to something that can be controlled :)

I'm sure the doc told you, but Metformin can tear your stomach up, so just be aware...I've been on it for years, but those first two weeks were not fun...

Thanks for letting us all be involved...you know we're all so full of it...advice, advice :laugh:

Good to see you got some help. Yes, 459 is way too high. You will feel better once the sugar levels have dropped back down. Feeling like hell is how you body screams for help. Ignoring it means you will get worse. I know some days my back feels fine, so I become more active. The next day my whole body feels like it was hit by a car. I know the cause of mine, and I'm working to get it corrected.

If your feet start to itch badly, or go totally numb on a toe or more, you need to go back to the doctor ASAP. Diabetes is like holding a loaded gun to your head. Not treating it is ignoring the gun.

You did the right thing. Good luck. The dialysis center has loads of people who ignored thier diabetes and most of them have no feet or legs

Ok bro... You asked me if it really causes the mood swings you've experienced. (SCREAMING) YES! The advice you are being giving is from people who have first hand knowledge due to loved ones being afflicted by this condition. I carry the genetic predisposition for metabolic disorders like diabetes. It manifests in irritability, rage and mania (high blood sugar) and depression/sleepiness(Low blood sugar). So now you know.
Trust me, I have done a "bit" of reading in my life and know what the indicators for diabetes are.
Glad the Dr. gave you something to get started. Let me re-iterate that this condition is dependent on your activity/metabolism levels. If you cut the junk from your diet AND adopt an active lifestyle, you CAN beat it. Let me say that again. Diabetes type II is beatable. You need to get off the couch and avoid the drive through to beat it.
It is all in your hands now.. So DO IT!

Last edited:
(project) can it really cause mood swings ? I thought I was just going crazy.

I just got back from my Dr. he gave me Metformin to take twice a day with meals, and Lantis, which is a insulin shot that looks like a pen, that I shoot into my stomach once a day. I only have to take that until my sugar levels drop below 200. He told me that when your numbers are really high for a while that your pancreas will stop making insulin all together. He said, "your pancreas figures what it's doing isn't helping so why bother". I have to go back at the end of the month to have bloodwork done, and see how the medicine is working.

I REALLY appreciate all of your concern, and comments. THANK YOU all VERY much !!!

Now is the time to get to know your own body. Get off the couch. Put down that slice of pizza. Stop eating all of that sugar. Become your own educated health adviser! GET KNOW YOUR BODY AND ITS INTERNALS!

What does a pancreas do? How does the body produce insulin? What IS lactic acid and how can you get rid of it? How do you/can you produce it? How many calories can I eliminate if I walk three miles? What should my heart rate BE for my weight,, for my age?

Know these things! Go buy a 'Mens Health' Magazine and READ IT!!! SUBSCRIBE!

Live, breath, eat, sleep fitness. Change your lifestyle,, change your own life! Don't rely on others to "figure it out" for YOU! Build a fitness program that works for you.

But, as others are saying,,, out of love for our fellow brother,, get a full blood work up and physical! Call the shots on your physical,,, know what you need and want as a person that WILL BETTER HIMSELF! Follow up on the results! Need to know! TO LIVE!

Change the way you live. Change the way your family eats.

CHANGE PAST TODAY! CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE ! ! !

Last edited:
I was just diagnosed in March... I'm not too happy about it, either... but I think it's a good opportunity to try out the Atkins diet... Pass the steak, please!

I am SO VERY GLAD that you went to see your doc! :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

459 is an extremely high number. Now that mine has been under control my number range in the upper 70's to 80's. Anything lower than that and I have to eat something quickly!
I had been on Glucophage (Metformin), Rezulin before it was pulled, and then Avandia before finally losing weight and keeping things under control with diet and exercise. If I gain just ten pounds too many I begin to have problems again.

Just so you know - Diabetes affects so many systems and actions of your body. From emotions and mood swings to hormones. I was unable to conceive my one and only child until I got my weigh down and diabetes controlled. As I stated before even ten pounds can make a difference. I have had two miscarriages since my son was born 5 years ago. I am NOT blaming them on the diabetes, but it is always there lurking in the background.

Best of luck to you. DO NOT BE A STUBBORN HARD HEAD LIKE ME! Go to you appointment dietician and then leave straight to Krispy Kreme for some "decent" food! :rofl: :rofl: I was the perfect example of what NOT to do. I would take my food journal in and the dieticians would shake their heads in disgust. Hey I was honest? I would not have been in their office is I was already following thier 1000 calorie a day diet! :)

Last edited:
I found out that I had diabetes about 2 years after my son passed away at 2 1/2 months old from S.I.D.S., (my wife had a miscarriage in her second trimester about a year before that). Then my wife (married for 7 years) gave birth to what I thought was my baby, which it wasn't hard to tell that it wasn't. So to tell the truth, I really didn't care what happened. But sitting around, and just rotting away isn't my way of going out. I kept telling my doctor something was wrong with me, and telling him how I was feeling. He, and my family kept saying it was depression. It wasn't until I was talking to a guy out in the parking lot of where I use to live, and was telling him how I felt, and he aked me if diabetes ran in my family. I told him it did, and he said "I bet you have it". Well I got my Grandpops meter out, and checked it. I remember asking him "is 540 bad" ?

(project) can it really cause mood swings ? I thought I was just going crazy.

I just got back from my Dr. he gave me Metformin to take twice a day with meals, and Lantis, which is a insolin shot that looks like a pen, that I shoot into my stomach once a day. I only have to take that until my sugar levels drop below 200. He told me that when your numbers are really high for a while that your pancreas will stop making insolin all together. He said, "your pancreas figures what it's doing isn't helping so why bother". I have to go back at the end of the month to have bloodwork done, and see how the medicine is working.

I REALLY appreciate all of your concern, and coments. THANK YOU all VERY much !!!

can it really cause mood swings ? I thought I was just going crazy..... well "YEAH" ????...

I have hypoglycemia and it comes with a plethora of mood-swings until you get it under control. It's preemptive to Diabetes in some cases....follow the Dr on this one. Make the necessary changes NOW, before it gets WORSE. :super:

Glad to hear you got to a doctor, and working on getting it under control. I got hit with diabetes an high blood pressure at the same time. I found a couple of sugar subs. for my coffee and tea. Now I cannot stand the taste of coffee or tea sweetened with sugar. I also found Coke Zero is a good soda. I also found out that when my sugar is high, I can drink a V8 juice and it will give me the energy to get through the day.

Just like anyone else, I thought my life was over. But watching my Brother Kevin(vman1300) dealing with his cancer with such a postive attitude, changed my attitude. That my life wasn't over, and that diabetes wasn't the worst thing in the world to have. Which brings up my next point about diabetes; Too much stress in your life is as bad as too much sugar. Both of them will drive your sugar out the roof. So as a friend watch your stress level too. Don't worry be HAPPY!! :super:

Glad to hear you got to a doctor, and working on getting it under control. I got hit with diabetes an high blood pressure at the same time. I found a couple of sugar subs. for my coffee and tea. Now I cannot stand the taste of coffee or tea sweetened with sugar. I also found Coke Zero is a good soda. I also found out that when my sugar is high, I can drink a V8 juice and it will give me the energy to get through the day.

Just like anyone else, I thought my life was over. But watching my Brother Kevin(vman1300) dealing with his cancer with such a postive attitude, changed my attitude. That my life wasn't over, and that diabetes wasn't the worst thing in the world to have. Which brings up my next point about diabetes; Too much stress in your life is as bad as too much sugar. Both of them will drive your sugar out the roof. So as a friend watch your stress level too. Don't worry be HAPPY!! :super:

You know what, Vman (Kevin) is a huge part of what pushed me into going to my doctor to finaly try, and get this taken care of. Like I said I was really feeling guilty about people getting taken away from their family (even though it's to a better place), and I was just sitting around throwing my life away.

I'm glad you came here (the .Org) do you ride ? I really admired your brothers courage, and his faith, I keep your family in my prayers !!!

Lately I have been feeling very guilty, with people getting taken from thier family, and friends, and I'm just taking life for granit (sp?)

granted sp

Lost a freind to it died very slowly lost his leg first below the knee then lost his sight he didn't take care or keep an eye on it either. letting it get like that even though you live tears you up inside. I am high risk for it an my doc is kinda a jerk.

You know what, Vman (Kevin) is a huge part of what pushed me into going to my doctor to finaly try, and get this taken care of. Like I said I was really feeling guilty about people getting taken away from their family (even though it's to a better place), and I was just sitting around throwing my life away.

I'm glad you came here (the .Org) do you ride ? I really admired your brothers courage, and his faith, I keep your family in my prayers !!!
Vman (Kevin) was my inspiration for joining the Org. I am really humbled by all the members of the Org. and their concern for others, ones who they do not even know personally.
Yes I ride, but I am not a knee dragger like most of the guys. I am one of the old guys that kinda putt around on an HD. You know I gave both my sis(Katslair), and Brother(Vman), their first rides and got them into the wind. And I am very humbled by both of them. Katslair is involved with an MC that does quite a lot of memorial rides for Vets, and rides for fallen Vets. Vman took it to a level beyond what I ever could, and of course you guys on the Org. know that. Live Strong Bro, for the ones that have gone on to a better place before us. :bowdown:

Kenny,
The question is now that you are on meds for the blood glucose, what other lifestyle changes are you going to make to beat this thing?
Cutting back on the junkfood or beer intake?
More physical activity or both?
All it takes is a walk around the block or basic exercise...
Tell us what your plans are,
Jose

Ps: The reason I ask is because we as Americans lead very sedentary lives. Most folks on any given day just walk to the car in their driveway in the morning and walk into work a few paces through the parking lot. It takes more than that to keep us healthy. I can be just as guilty but have managed to stay relatively fit most of my life through weight training and other physical fitness.

Last edited:
Yeah, I definetly need to start doing something. I use to play Ice hockey until I was in my late 20's (35 now). I never been a junkfood eater, and can't stand soda. I don't drink (recovering addict 10 yrs). So finding something to do physically is going to be my next challenge ??

Good deal then.. Maybe getting into lifting weights or another activity will bring the same effects you used to benefit from when you played hockey.

Back