Anyone have a dual sport?

mopar250

Registered
Hey guys,
Kind of off topic, but was just wondering if anyone has or has had a dual sport bike. I have a 2001 400ex four wheeler that I don't ever ride and I would like to turn it into a dual sport that I could ride around on the dirt roads (I'm a farmer, gotta check that corn!), and take to work (also a machinist, gravel parking lot). I would like to think my 400 is worth 2500 to 3000 and that should buy one of the same years DS bikes. Now on to which one. I'm going to place an add in a local paper and was going to ask for a KLR 650 or XR 650 trade. Any others (reasonably) that I should consider? Any thing I should look for in these 2? I've looked at some boards but its hard to get an honest opinion on a KLR or XR board. Kind of like coming here and asking if a ZX14 is better than a busa.
Thanks!
Bill

i am looking for one myself. from all the reviews you cant go wrong with a DRZ400. Unless you will be on alot of highways the 400 is supposed to have equal power down low and weigh 40 pounds less.

I had a XR200 before I bought the DR650. The XR line of bikes are one of the tallest bikes (seat heighth) out there.

One of the guys that rides in our group has the DR400SM and likes it alot. It seems as though it has little power since I rarely see him after we take off, but if you buy the right parts, you can have more power than my 650 and it's lighter and stouter.

I've seen a couple of the DR400SM's in the showroom. The black ones are really nice looking. But I do think they are a bit small for me, and I will be doing some interstate riding I'm sure with it. The bike doesn't have to fly but it would be nice if 75 or so was possible for some kind of range.

I had a dr350s and I used to drive the highway all the time... It would hit 80 easy... but not without a little drift in the corners due to being around 99% off road
biggrin.gif
The only reason I wouldn't go with a 650 is they are heavy when dropped in mud.
e

The DR650 (324 dry) and KLR650 (337 dry), but the Honda XR650 is 277 dry and the suzuki 400 is 291 dry.

I use my 650 for pretty much street and occassional gravel roads so weight isn't a factor, but if you will be off-road in mud, etc than definitely something lighter and smaller is a concern.

(MsMeow @ Aug. 07 2007,14:45) The DR650 (324 dry) and KLR650 (337 dry), but the Honda XR650 is 277 dry and the suzuki 400 is 291 dry.

I use my 650 for pretty much street and occassional gravel roads so weight isn't a factor, but if you will be off-road in mud, etc than definitely something lighter and smaller is a concern.
Good points. I had an XR-500 I converted to street...won't do that again. A full on dirt bike on the street makes for a very tiring, hig revving beat you up kinda ride. Not good for any street distance at all. I would stay with "from the factory" street legal dual sports and avoid any converted dirt bikes like an XR650...unless its an XR650L.

i've had an XR650L since 1992 when they first came out. i'm almost to 20K on the clock and its been bullet proof. i've had it bored to 675, lightened flywheel, full offroad exhaust, k&n, 43mm carb, etc.... i had the bike down to the frame to have it powercoated, then put it all back together.

anyhow its a blast to ride, kinda tiring for a long freeway ride. i've got it geared up so its not reving at highway speeds which is nice. stock it'll do 105, now i'm not sure but its gonna be alittle faster. its a fun bike to complement the busa and V65 maggie. i'll never sell it. hope this helps.

bone

Did you also look into KTM? Big bucks, but good dependable rides from what I've heard.

I got a 02 klr 650. Good bike but it could be lighter and have more power.
Other than that I love it. 6.5 gallon fuel tank goes along way and it is great on the street with street oriented tires. I'd prefer something lighter myself as the klr is a truck on the dirt.

I had a 92 KLR 250. I ran it HARD for about 3 years (about 25K miles). I dont ever remembering checking the oil, let alone changing it! LOL I was a kick start and never had a problem starting it. That thing was in the air MUCH higher than it ever should have been LOL and never had a problem with it. The KLR line gets a big thumbs up from me.

I have 2 guys that I work with that are looking for KTM 525's, but they are going to spend almost 8 or 9 grand! Thats' nuts for a bike with a carb (that's what one of them told me, not sure though)! You could get a new 07 Busa for under 9 here in a couple months! I just would like to find someone to trade me straight up for my 400 ex. My EX is just like new, but I know the market is flooded with them, and there are bigger badder machines out there now, but I don't want to give it away. But maybe someone is in my same shoes with a DS.

Back