Anyone got a decent diagram to remove the faring for an oil change?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
This is for a GEN 1 busa. I'm tired of letting the shop do it, but the diagram in the manual is no help at all. It has lines pointing at vague general areas, and I know there are some pins that are harder to find than that. The pics look like they were drawn by a six year old.

Knowing myself, if I just start pulling push pins, something is going to get broken. Speaking of push pins, is there a h.org vendor who has the push pins that replace the screws holding the tank down?

I don't know of a diagram. It is much easier to remove the Gen 1 fairings than the newer ones. I don't recall having to remove any push pins to get the side panels off. Just unscrew the obvious allen head bolts, if I recall correctly, you have 3 that join the side to the nose piece, one in the middle, and one down by your shifter, and one underneath.

Gen is pretty easy, you only taking off the right side right? Should be only 1 push pin on top by the frame near the tank, then the Allen screws holding it.???

There is one small push pin besides the big one holding the lower inner panel on. Under the nose is a black panel and the farthest inside corner of that has one push pin that needs to be removed.

Also there is a large pin that is part of the lower inner panel located on the inside rear of that panel. It fits into a rubber gromet in the frame. when you have all the screws and pins out you will have to pull up on that lower inner panel to free it from the frame.

Pull gently and watch all your tabs so they dont break.

Best of luck

Last edited:
There is one small push pin besides the big one holding the lower inner panel on. Under the nose is a black panel and the farthest inside corner of that has one push pin that needs to be removed.

Also there is a large pin that is part of the lower inner panel located on the inside rear of that panel. It fits into a rubber gromet in the frame. when you have all the screws and pins out you will have to pull up on that lower inner panel to free it from the frame.

Pull gently and watch all your tabs so they dont break.

Best of luck

Thanks for the tips..

I always paid the dealer for oil changes, this Saturday was the first time I did it myself. It wasn't that hard at all, and I'm about as bad as you can get with a wrench !! The oil filter was a pain to get off.

whatever you do BE CAREFUL PUTING THE DRAIN PLUG BACK ON !!! you can strip it out EASY !!

how can the drain plug be stripped if you put the bolt in by hand making sure you turn it the right way of course and hand tighten till its almost done then use wrench to put a snug tighten on the bolt.

how can the drain plug be stripped if you put the bolt in by hand making sure you turn it the right way of course and hand tighten till its almost done then use wrench to put a snug tighten on the bolt.

That's what I did, but seen & heard more than a few that have done it, guess everyones idea of snug is different ?

That's what I did, but seen & heard more than a few that have done it, guess everyones idea of snug is different ?

harbor freight torque wrench 19 bucks...ends all questions of over tightening lol

I don't know of a diagram. It is much easier to remove the Gen 1 fairings than the newer ones. I don't recall having to remove any push pins to get the side panels off. Just unscrew the obvious allen head bolts, if I recall correctly, you have 3 that join the side to the nose piece, one in the middle, and one down by your shifter, and one underneath.

What he said; it's really easy. Be sure to roll your bike up onto some 2x12 boards first; makes it lots easier to slio you catch pan underneath the bike.
And wrap your headers in plaztic wrap so the oil filter spill doesn't cling to them.

CW

The oil filter was a pain to get off.
drill a hole thru it, or hammer a screwdriver , stick a screwdriver thru to form a t
easy

Speaking of push pins, is there a h.org vendor who has the push pins that replace the screws holding the tank down?
you can get quick release pins, look trick too

Last edited:
harbor freight torque wrench 19 bucks...ends all questions of over tightening lol

I've got a good inch/pounds wrench. I've heard that if their is oil on the threads, all bets are off. How dry do the hole and bolt have to be?

A bit late in the thread, but...

You don't need to remove fairings just to change the oil. If you are changing the oil filter, then yes, the right one and the underbelly needs to be removed.

I've never used a torque wrench around the bike, except maybe for internal engine parts. It's so easy to develop a feel of the force you are applying by hands within 1lb - 150 lb range. Then you adjust it according to the lever length, i.e. if it's 1 ft long lever - then whatever force you apply is the exact lb x ft torque. If the length of the lever is 2/3 of 1 ft, then you can apply roughly 30% more effort.

So, in the case of a drain plug with 16 lb ft of torque, if you use 1/2 ft wrench (to be more accurate what matters is the distance between the point where you apply the pressure with your hand and the other end of the wrench), you can apply 32lb of force when tightening. So, playing it safe, in such a case I use about 20 lb of force, and then I give another notch or two paying attention to my effort.

I understand that this approach is not for everyone. However, I think it's important to have a general feel. What if you mistakenly set your torque wrench to the wrong setting? Or, what if you missed a click? Are you going to apply the effort until you hear the click or a ratcheting sound. Could be too late. Besides, it's simply impractical to use torque wrench all the time.

Another small point. Torque setting is a very imprecise requirement (internal engine torques being an exception to a degree). It's laughable to read that Suzuki says the drain plug torque should be 16.5 lb ft. Real life torque could be anywhere from 10 - 20, and it's going to be just fine. They should say 16.5 +/- 3, or something similar. I am not sure a typical torque wrench would be acccurate within 0.5 ft lb.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: I do not "remove" any fairings to change my oil and filter. I simply remove 5 hex heads, then I have plenty of room to get to the filter by pulling the plastic out away from the fram a few inches. There are 5 hex heads: three towards the front of the bike, a 4th by the brake, (all of these use the same sized bit), and a 5th on the belly that uses a much smaller hex bit.

CW

Back