Anyone ever install an aftermarket push button start in a car/truck?

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering if anyone's ever done it. If your vehicle isn't benefitting from alot of theft deterrent systems I would assume it would be pretty straight forward as just installing a momentary switch tapping into the starter wire from the ignition

no.... you need to do it with a relay, the button switch wont be able to work that way for long, use the button to switch the relay witch then kicks the power to the starter on/off...i would leave the originaly wiring in place and wire th ebotton up seperatly on its own fuse...and to the starter if it where me

If the fuggin criminals lift your hood to steal your car/truck they will just bypass everything with a wire to the starter . I would splice into the ignition somewhere interupting power there. I've also seen guys interupt the fuel pump...car starts,but only gets to the end of the driveway.:laugh: Then you get to run out and kick his azz up so far he has to take off his shirt to shi7.:laugh:

You could also avoid all this with a steering wheel anti theft device or one of those that mechanically locks the brake pedal to the steering wheel. Or both.

RSD.

Definitely djsin is correct about the switch and a relay. You can certainly FIND switches that will handle that kind of power, but they arent exactly going to look attractive on your dash, as they will be enormous.

Definitely djsin is correct about the switch and a relay. You can certainly FIND switches that will handle that kind of power, but they arent exactly going to look attractive on your dash, as they will be enormous.

You dont actually splice in to the huge cable running from the battery to the starter...you just interupt power to the starter relay.Its only like 18 gage wire or smaller.

RSD.

i wasn't gonna go with the power wire to starter, was gonna go with the starter wire from ignition
Posted via Mobile Device

You dont actually splice in to the huge cable running from the battery to the starter...you just interupt power to the starter relay.Its only like 18 gage wire or smaller.

RSD.
Best way to do it. Also the cleanest because you only need to cut the wire, run extensions to the switch, and you're done. No getting power here, running it there, just a simple interrupt. Just be sure to use a good switch and heat shrink on the connections to prevent corrosion.

Putting it back stock later is easy as just putting that wire back together.

Best way to do it. Also the cleanest because you only need to cut the wire, run extensions to the switch, and you're done. No getting power here, running it there, just a simple interrupt. Just be sure to use a good switch and heat shrink on the connections to prevent corrosion.

Putting it back stock later is easy as just putting that wire back together.
problem with what these guys are tellin you is the power wire from the currant ignition is dead untill you turn the key to the start position, not the run position...so in reality you will have to get power from the run side and then switch it to the start side...

problem with what these guys are tellin you is the power wire from the currant ignition is dead untill you turn the key to the start position, not the run position...so in reality you will have to get power from the run side and then switch it to the start side...
The problem with guys that don't know what they're talking about is that they firmly believe they do.

What we're saying to do is stop the power from ever getting to the relay from the switch. Interrupt the trigger before it gets there.

Near zero load on the new switch. Relays trigger at milliamps.
The majority of the system stays intact.
Easy to bypass in case of failure, if you know where the interrupt is.
My bike's key doesn't go to start, I have a button near my throttle for start. Maybe yours is different?

The problem with guys that don't know what they're talking about is that they firmly believe they do.

What we're saying to do is stop the power from ever getting to the relay from the switch. Interrupt the trigger before it gets there.

Near zero load on the new switch. Relays trigger at milliamps.
The majority of the system stays intact.
Easy to bypass in case of failure, if you know where the interrupt is.
My bike's key doesn't go to start, I have a button near my throttle for start. Maybe yours is different?
:poke: he was asking the quesstion about a car/truck so why are you talking about a bike and its starter switch???

Back