Anyone ever dyno a bike on a Dynojet 248

xchief1320

Registered
If so then you know it's a unique experience and I doubt i'll ever do again.
I've seen a few shops online that use them and since we have one at the shop I figured I would give it a try tonight. It felt like I was pulling a car trailer behind the bike. So bad that I was worried to do any full pulls in any higher then 3rd gear. (which I know is the wrong gear)
I did 3 pulls to adjust the A/F since it felt real rich up top. Only pulled them to 10K or so, and that was past my comfort zone bigtime:lol:

The final SAE #'s were 174 rwhp and 100 rwtq after slight A/F corrections to get it to 13 to 1.
I did do a 4th gear partial pull and the Tq was higher but I let out at 7K and it made 159 rwhp or so ( I'll have to look at the dyno computer again to be sure)

I know the #'s are pretty low. I am curious to see what it would do on a bike dyno and in the correct gear. I'm thinking the DJ 248 with the huge drums has to be a major drivetrain % loss.

It's a 08 with only a R77 4-1 exhaust.

Last edited:
it has no idea what is on the dyno all the dyno is measuring is the torque that is turning the drum
4th is the correct gear 3rd would be about 2-3 hp less as long as the weather station was reading correctly those are real numbers

Yeah I agree it doesn't know or care what's on the rollers, But the drum weight of the 248does seem to effect the hp/tq on lighter cars a good bit. Due to the fact that most lighter 4 cyl vehicles don't have the TQ needed to turn the drums. And most won't even accelerate the drums in 1 to 1 gear at higher rpm's. They just fall flat and stop pulling.
I've dyno'd lighter 4 cylinder cars (Hondas,ect) on our dyno then put them on a DJ 224 next door and they made more hp on the 224. Some as high as 10-15 rwhp difference. As to where we've compared them on 3000+# cars (mustangs,camaros,ect)and the RWHP/RWTQ numbers between the two dyno's are almost spot on the same. We did a few different tests just to see the differences between the roller size/weight.

Where do stock/piped 08's stop making power? This one seemed to still be pulling when I stopped the run.
I'm heading back to the shop to pick up my laptop and the dyno sheets in a bit and i'll post the graphs..

My 08 stops making power around 10,500 on the dyno...I think with the ram air in the real world it might go higher.

Yeah thanks alot for the info.. :thumbsup:
I'll post up when I get it on a bike dyno. Even though it won't be super accurate since it's a different dyno/day/ect it will give some info..

I've been on them a bunch. Not my choice for the bikes just due to setup. Easier to strap on a bike specific.

But, never had an issue tuning on one.

For me I'd rather tune on something a bit heavy than on something too light and no way to provide load.

Wow, I'm surprised, it must have been tough to engage the clutch fully and get it started, that's a big heavy roller for a little bike to turn. Load bearing light-weight rollers are wonderful! I use a Dyno Dynamics car dyno with zero issues.

Wow, I'm surprised, it must have been tough to engage the clutch fully and get it started, that's a big heavy roller for a little bike to turn. Load bearing light-weight rollers are wonderful! I use a Dyno Dynamics car dyno with zero issues.

I'm sure my clutch didn't like me too much. I'm pretty sure the drum weight is 900# each so 1800# total drum weight since they are linked together.

Run 1 was in 4th and i let out at 8600
Run 3 is a 3rd gear pull to get the A/F decent. Let out at 9800

busa1.jpg

busa3.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize the DJ250 drums weighed that much.. Thanks for the info Johnnycheese.

I was wrong after doing some research. It seems the drums weigh 3000# each. The drums simulate a 2400# cars rolling resistance.
The shipping weight of a DJ248 is 8000#

Back