Anyone else have any build quality issues?

Gumballer

Registered
Now I hate to winge but for £9000 here in the UK I don't expect the frame paint to have worn through the disk bolts to rust and the brake fasteners to go all fluffy at only 600 miles.

The bike is stored in a heated shed, only ridden on dry days, (ive an SM for shitty weather) washed after every ride and dried before its put away, I wear leather boots not MX style, and where they rub against the frame through normal riding the paint has worn through to the ally on the left side.
ohthedrama.gif
And its making my pride and joy look decidedly second hand.

If it was a GS125 I wouldnt be upset but on Suzuki's flagship bike I don't think its acceptable. And the Suzuki GB contact number in the owners manual is wrong too so i'm off to my dealer to get a customer service contact number.

That said I picked her up from the 600 mile service yesterday and opened her up for the first time hard. And Holy mother of God does it fuggin shift compared to my old R1!

Never heard of this issue, but maybe someone else can add something. Guessing from your avatar that it's not an '08.

Storing in a shed is not good on them, I know, had to do it years ago, try keeping it heated in the colder weather. If you have drastic temperature changes inside the shed, metal parts will sweat, causing corrosion,rust. I was concerned many years ago that if it had moisture on the outside, what was happening inside? i was living on utah at the time and the winters were cold, so i covered the bike with a heavy tarp and placed a small space heater under it on the lowest setting. This kept the metal from sweating. later years down the road had the same deal, in a wooden shed, i used a magnetic block heater, yes they don't work on aluminum, i used a bungy cord to hold it against the bottom of the block. Either way you have to control the temperature in the shed.
hope this helps.

Guessing from your avatar that it's not an '08.
I am guessing that since he is posting in the GenII forum, said he just picked the bike up from the dealer after the initial 600 mile service, it's a K8.
winkold.gif

How is your shed "heated"? If it's a propane heater, that could be a major contributing problem. Propane heaters produce a $hitpot of water vapor as a part of their normal combustion process. The rotor carrier bolts aren't plated worth a rat's ass, and this combined with the water vapor helps promote Dissimilar Meal corrosion (steel bolts threaded into aluminum wheel hub.

The frame wear is likely happening because you are riding the bike correctly, using the boot heels to apply forces to the centerline of the bike during transitions, etc. Might want to consider applying something like carbon fiber placards (or some such) in this area if the wear really starts to look cheesy.

My biggest complaint is the left footrest tilts up more than the right... had two k8's and both the same..... strange
smile.gif

The two exposed faring bolts on the clutch side of my bike had buggered allen screw holes and I had to drill both of them out to get the faring off. I could not even get a standard 4mm to go into the hole at all. Lucky for me that they are the deep head screws so I was able to drill them deep with a bit and then get an easyout to retract them.

Don

Storing in a shed is not good on them, I know, had to do it years ago, try keeping it heated in the colder weather. If you have drastic temperature changes inside the shed, metal parts will sweat, causing corrosion,rust. I was concerned many years ago that if it had moisture on the outside, what was happening inside? i was living on utah at the time and the winters were cold, so i covered the bike with a heavy tarp and placed a small space heater under it on the lowest setting. This kept the metal from sweating. later years down the road had the same deal, in a wooden shed, i used a magnetic block heater, yes they don't work on aluminum, i used a bungy cord to hold it against the bottom of the block. Either way you have to control the temperature in the shed.
hope this helps.
+1 you could even end up with mold..

I keep a dehumidifier in my garage running 3 season (winter is dry already)...

I usually bring my bikes into the basement . after tank removal and cleaning . I stash the tank in the garage till spring ... and during the season the car stays outside and the bike goes in

You know im trying to use this "moisture in the air" as a reason to move my bike into out Lounge LOL

Jza

Post Some PICS !!!!!!!!!!
Alright Alright Alright! I will post some pics in the morning. Christ NAg Nag Nag, I come here for peace i could talk to the missus for Nagging!  
corner2.png

Anyhow an Update. I complained to my dealer, he took some pictures, emailed Suzuki and they replied yesterday. And get this, they have authorised them to re paint the frame. RE PAINT THE FRAME! He said two weeks workshop time at least, take everything off, paint it and re assemble.
Only for it to wear off again in another 600 miles?? No thanks I need my toy on the road not in the paint shop.
They said they see it alot on K7 GSXR's with black frames, they get authorisation but never do it, they just add a carbon scuff pad and get over it.
Frankly i just think its a bit crappy for Suzuki's flagship bike to be so thin on bloody paint! I envisaged the beatuiful black frame to be powder coated not sprayed with a $10 aerosol.
Pics tomorrow.

21cih7a.jpg

Not impressed! After 600 miles of riding in trainers!

4l6new.jpg

RUST!

15ojvo7.jpg

Fluff!

I know I'm being fussy but its taken me a fuggin long time to save up to buy my pride and joy and I am not impressed with it looking so second hand in four weeks!

boxing.gif

Looks like a lot of moisture on all but the first shot, seems that the plating should do a bit better than that however..... I would get that shed vented somehow

Hmmm shed is the likely culprit, but for the coating on the frame, what kind of boots are you riding in? It must have some wide tankle area protection, or are you doing some funky thing with your foot? I've never personally rubbed the coating off there. It looks like you'd be riding with your toes pointed toward the pavement or something to place the ankle pad part of the boot in that position on the frame. Weird. GL with getting everything sorted out though.

Yeah I do ride with my toes under the lever all the time I accept that is different to most! But leather simply shouldn't wear away at the frame that quickly.

Regarding the shed though its the same one I kept my two R1's in for 38k miles, and also houses my CRF450 SM, which is immaculate.

Hmmm...very odd on shed and the corrosion bit indeed. As for toe orientation, I keep mine ready as well, but it looks like you might be carrying over a position from MX riding, where the knee is more forward-toes deep under the shifter and this would cause the hard ankle abrasion area of a boot to rub on the frame. Although I agree it shouldn't wear thru quite so quickly, I can also see that the friction from constant rubbing can't be the normal riding posture as well.

Back