Anyone checked valve clearance or leaks

bigborerider

Registered
Ive been watching the forum for awhile. This is my second Busa after dad drove the first one straight into a wall(he is a rider). I finally bought me another knowing some problems were there. It is at 15k miles and everything seems to be good but the problem with starting.

I want to check to see if there are any leaks, I bought this bike and it has carbon in the airfilter and hard to start. When it starts, its fine, but something is not right.

I want to do this myself but I know i need a few things. Something to check the clearance, torque wrench, and shims.

The shop manual I downloaoded makes it seem easy, but it doesn't really tell you or show what to do when there is a problem, just how to find the problem. Ive read it should take me a few hours and I can reuse the seals. Has anyone done this and REUSED the seals?

If anyone has any tricks, let me know.
thanks in advance

welcome.gif
aboard!
hello.gif

Which seals are you referring to? The valve cover gasket? If so, yes, just reuse it... You'll likely need some black RTV sealant for the right side, but that's about it. Checking the valve clearance(s) is fairly straight-forward. Just a little time-consuming.

There's a couple good write-ups on this:

How to Inspect your valve clearances

How to adjust the valves / Cam removal

welcome.gif
aboard!
hello.gif

Which seals are you referring to? The valve cover gasket? If so, yes, just reuse it... You'll likely need some black RTV sealant for the right side, but that's about it. Checking the valve clearance(s) is fairly straight-forward. Just a little time-consuming.

Thanks, glad to finally be a part. I did do a search but didn't find anything useful, more questios and no answers. I forgot the word "tappet" in my search though. When I said seals, I did mean gaskets. Im glad about that because noone carries them.

Why would I need sealent for a side. Is it to replace or help with the existing seal. I also assume you mean plug #4 side, left leg side.

One question I have is what direction do I turn the crankshaft with the wrench to put the valves in line. It says to rotate the way the engine does. Would that make it clockwise or counter clockwise.

The shops around here do have the shims I need at least. Ill go shopping here in a few hours for the tools I need.
Thanks again man

On the right side (right leg) of the head, there are two half-moon notches. The black RTV is used in these notches to assist with the seal of the gasket. Be careful when removing, it will be tough to remove from there since there is sealant there.

If you don't want to mess with it, you can carefully remove the valve cover and leave the gasket, but I will tell you that it can be 'frustrating' trying to get it back in the grove of the cover.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise to align everything.

On the right side (right leg) of the head, there are two half-moon notches.  The black RTV is used in these notches to assist with the seal of the gasket.  Be careful when removing, it will be tough to remove from there since there is sealant there.  

If you don't want to mess with it, you can carefully remove the valve cover and leave the gasket, but I will tell you that it can be 'frustrating' trying to get it back in the grove of the cover.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise to align everything.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Jinkster had a good write up on how to do it all. It doesn't look hard as long as you have the right tools and you don't spill your Dr Pepper inside. Checking the valves is one thing, adjusting them is another story Its one of things that once you do it once, you can do quickly the next time. I have been thinking about what I can use to clean some parts or if I should. It should be interesting.
Thanks again man

welcome.gif
aboard!
hello.gif

Which seals are you referring to?  The valve cover gasket?  If so, yes, just reuse it...  You'll likely need some black RTV sealant for the right side, but that's about it.   Checking the valve clearance(s) is fairly straight-forward.  Just a little time-consuming.

Ive got a strange problem and need some serious help. I took the top off so I could check for clearances. The seal where I would need the RTV Black Seal seems to have already been sealed up. I can't get it off and don't see a need to, the seal is just fine that goes around.

First off, when the bike does start, it runs perfectly.

My problem is that nothing is in line. On page 2-9 of the manual, it says to line up the lines in the valve timing inspection hole. Well I did that, and the notches on the camshafts do not line up like the pictures show. Its about 15-20% off. How can that be possible??? Can the part that is rotated to match those lines be changed or replaced? I haven't checked the valve clearances because I don't know what is right. I can go off where the notches are, or where the lines are lined up.

If youve checked your tappet clearance, then you know what Im talking about. My bike is a a 02, but the manual should be the same. Should I use the valve timing inspection plug lines, or the notches in the picture for checking tappet clearance (section 2) where one should be perpendicular.

I can't just put the camshafts to match the valve timing inspection hole since the bike runs, or can I? Can you change the camshaft position? That seems dangerous.

Any ideas would really help, this is driving me crazy!

Just guessing but it sounds like your timing chain may be off and that would correlate to the other symptoms you've described.

Worth checking, maybe?

--Wag--

Back