Anyone buying a katana

Air cooled and
carburetors . . .

Technological
dead end . . .

Unless you shop
in Milwaukee . . .

:banana:

They should have based it on a new GSXR...and went more retro with the body work similar to what Kawi did with the ZRX

I maintain my position that our bikes should have been called katana. It's the logical progression of the name.

Yep, although Suzuki messed that name up with the bikes they named Katana since '88. When a bike gets the nickname "tea pot" that's never good.

GSX1300R Katana would have been pretty cool.

My son has an '06 GSXF750 and it's body work is very similar to the Busa.

Yep, although Suzuki messed that name up with the bikes they named Katana since '88. When a bike gets the nickname "tea pot" that's never good.

GSX1300R Katana would have been pretty cool.

My son has an '06 GSXF750 and it's body work is very similar to the Busa.
The 1100 Kat was a decent sport (not supersport) bike in its day, strong motor, decent handling, good looking and comfortable to ride. Sound familiar?
But the 600s were a joke, and that ruined the name you're right.

The 1100 Kat was a decent sport (not supersport) bike in its day, strong motor, decent handling, good looking and comfortable to ride. Sound familiar?
But the 600s were a joke, and that ruined the name you're right.
I believe in it's 1980 premiere it was doted a superbike. My view is every bike with the name Katana on it after 1986 wasn't worthy of the name. Even the 2nd Gen Katana (pop up version) was questionable but at least followed many similar body lines.

I believe in it's 1980 premiere it was doted a superbike. My view is every bike with the name Katana on it after 1986 wasn't worthy of the name. Even the 2nd Gen Katana (pop up version) was questionable but at least followed many similar body lines.
I see where you're coming from. Just not sure I agree. I think with the introduction of the gixxer the supersport category became separate from superbike or sport bike. But your argument is certainly not without considerable merit.

I see where you're coming from. Just not sure I agree. I think with the introduction of the gixxer the supersport category became separate from superbike or sport bike. But your argument is certainly not without considerable merit.

The Katana came out long before the Gixxer and was the king of the heap in it's day. Once the racer replicas arrived, it was quickly surpassed. There was a long laundry list of those bikes from the 2 strokes to the GSXRs, Ninjas, FZRs, CBRs etc....you know, all the cool bikes of the '80s..loved those bikes...so much character which is missing today.

My '86 pop up Katana had the words "Aerodynamic Super Sport" on it's tail and it was neither...

What about the CB750 SuperSport of the 1979 era...

When did the term "hyper bike" come into play? Was it the ZX11 or the CBR1100XX or the Busa…???

The Katana came out long before the Gixxer and was the king of the heap in it's day. Once the racer replicas arrived, it was quickly surpassed. There was a long laundry list of those bikes from the 2 strokes to the GSXRs, Ninjas, FZRs, CBRs etc....you know, all the cool bikes of the '80s..loved those bikes...so much character which is missing today.

My '86 pop up Katana had the words "Aerodynamic Super Sport" on it's tail and it was neither...

What about the CB750 SuperSport of the 1979 era...

When did the term "hyper bike" come into play? Was it the ZX11 or the CBR1100XX or the Busa…???
I agree with you, all those bikes had soul.
The gixxers had "hyper sport" stickers on em, so I'll go with that....

I agree with you, all those bikes had soul.
The gixxers had "hyper sport" stickers on em, so I'll go with that....

I loved the 2 stroke days, nothing like an RG500 or RZ500 at full boil going by....even the NSR400 was a beast.

What I really liked was you could identify the bike brand instantly not only by appearance but by sound...

Today, mostly cookie-cutters...

I loved the 2 stroke days, nothing like an RG500 or RZ500 at full boil going by....even the NSR400 was a beast.

What I really liked was you could identify the bike brand instantly not only by appearance but by sound...

Today, mostly cookie-cutters...
Amen to that!

Back