Anyone actually use 6th gear?

BowDown

Registered
race.gif

I have yet to use 6th gear!

I just find it more fun to keep the bike between 4k -> 5k while crusing.

I just started using 5th gear on the highway at 65->80mph.

Just curious. What gear are you normally in for 65-80mph?

I do 25 MPH in 6th man. My current gearing allows me to do 80+ in first, but I use 6th gear more than any and this dayum bike is so strong that when my riding buddies get the itch and downshift, I just twist the throttle in 6th and run them down. She hasn't failed me yet. 4K at 75 MPH in 6th.

cruising on the highway i will run 6th gear. my 16/42 gearing gives me plenty of get up if need be in 6th. now if im cruising around town i dont usually get above 4th. and when hammering the twisties i rarely get out of third.......

6th all the time. Saves on fuel as well. why would you not use 6th? Zuki put it there for a reason.

6th just seems kinda doggy compared to 4th or 5th.

Course I really have yet to go more than 2/3rds throttle. When I was in the break-in I really avoided 5th and 6th to keep from lugging the motor, or putting added stress on it. I usually get about 29-31mpg. This last tank pulled in 33.8mpg by using 5th more.

I lost sixth two weeks ago completely. Try riding around without it and you'll realize how much you miss it. With 17/44 gearing I'm buzzing pretty bad at highway speeds.

Going to start tearing it down this weekend - new tranny and motor work = big $$$ and I'm going to miss the fall riding season this year. Sucks.

(BowDown @ Aug. 29 2007,08:07) 6th just seems kinda doggy compared to 4th or 5th.

Course I really have yet to go more than 2/3rds throttle. When I was in the break-in I really avoided 5th and 6th to keep from lugging the motor, or putting added stress on it. I usually get about 29-31mpg. This last tank pulled in 33.8mpg by using 5th more.
When I was riding a 100 miles a day I used 6th more than any other and got 43 MPG.

Yes. Most of my riding is between 2500-4500rpms, except when I'm "playing".
laugh.gif

Ps: I don't think I've had it over 8k yet in 2200 miles. Although my rear tire may think otherwise.

(johnnycrash @ Aug. 29 2007,11:17) I lost sixth two weeks ago completely.  Try riding around without it and you'll realize how much you miss it.  With 17/44 gearing I'm buzzing pretty bad at highway speeds.

Going to start tearing it down this weekend - new tranny and motor work = big $$$ and I'm going to miss the fall riding season this year.  Sucks.
You lost 6th?
rock.gif
I know the Busa has issues with 2nd, but 6th? How'd that happen?

As far as the topic goes ... 6th on the highway, 3rd on low-roads.

Two week ago I went from Dallas to Kansas City and barely saw any other gear except 6th and got 49 mpg. Back and forth to work I see 5th only for a minute. Unless your racing there should be no need to stay in a high rev.

But on the flipside, it is all riding style. If you don't like using 6th, then don't. I doubt you can hurt her
beerchug.gif

I go to high gear as soon as possible for mileage. Like Dof3 said. 25 and I'm already there. It will lope along fine. Mileage goes WAY up if you keep the revs down. Hell you can cruise in 3rd at 130 if you want, but I don't think you gain anything that a quick downshift from 6th can't cure. It all depends on what you like I spose. Yes you are in all sorts of crazy power after 4K and I agree you can slice past anything in a flash in that band, but hell you can blow past anything anytime anyway on this thing if you need to.

I get 52 hiway MPG and 41 around town by driving conservatively and using 6th gear as soon as I can get her there. I have had wheelspin at 130 on a downshift and hammering it harder than I should have. Positive wheelspin as in accelarating past traction point. How dang crazy you need to get on these things? That was a dang heart stopper for me when it happened.

You haven't felt power at your stage yet. I remember that time. Wait til after break-in and you cross the 8K barrier at WOT. You will learn about riding all over again.

I've pulled it to redline for a bit in 2nd, and 3rd. The power is addicting. (have about 1900 miles on her so far)

Surprised it didn't pull up tho? I only weigh like 145lbs. Must be the amount of throttle I was giving it to get there. That last 1/3rd throttle prbly has alot of punch to it.

I know what you mean with wheel spin though.. Man I scared the **** out of myself twice so far getting a little too aggressive on the throttle.

Back