anybody pick up any et or mph by going to lighter wheels?

I wish that were true but to me I cant prove it. I had Dymags on my bike which are about 10-12 lbs less than stock I think. That should be worth about 4000lbs of weight savings right? (10lbs at 16 ounces per pound =160 ounces which would be the equal of 160X 25lbs or 4000 lbs.

Somehow that just does not add up. To confirm this I rolled on against another stock busa up to top speed of 185mph when I only had my wheels and did not beat him. Traded bikes my bike still lost. So I concluded that the lost pounds did not make that big of a difference.

They look really cool though.

http://www.dragbike.com/news/features/hayabusa_dymag.htm

Don

its less rotating mass, and it will spin-up quicker!!

[This message has been edited by hayabusaboy (edited 31 July 2000).]

That's because your cams are set for top end power Don.Your power needs to come on alot sooner.Do you remember what happened when we did roll ons when my bike was stock?redegreeing your cams will take care of that problem.

Nick

Got off my Busa after an afternoon of twisties and got on my buddies Busa.He has DYMAGS AND PILOTS I have stock wheels and BT56SS.His bike felt like a GSXR 750 to me.The weight made a big differance here.My bike handled road imperfections like gravel, bumps much better.I think my settings were closer.His were too hard.I did notice that his bike transitioned from right to left a hell of allot easier.

yea, ive heard the stuff about rotating mass, but would like some real world proof- before and after e.t.'s and mph. the theory sounds good, but not a chance i want to take...im more into drag racing than the twisties.

At Road Atlanta, I stopped by the Michelin tent in the paddock. Heard the guy saying that riders spend their first $$$ on pipes and other weight reduction mods,etc. He was saying the BEST payoff per dollar (for handling) is on lightweight weight wheels! I'm not sure that would affect 1/4 mile ET's but I do believe it would affect turning to the degree he claimed. The gyro effect is tremendous.

Dewey, I bought the Dymags from Richard for $1700 delivered (two-day shipping). I'm pleased with the service and price and recommend him highly. I would have preferred shipping them by slow boat, which must be at $125-$150 cheaper, but it is apparently some sort of security issue with TTS. I've bought other stuff from the UK and didn't have this problem.

Anyway, I noticed a dramatic difference immediately after putting the wheels on, although I don't have any verifiable data to support this. The bike feels, and especially turns, much quicker. It's not the biggest bang for the buck, but the pyschological and emotional payoff can't be beat. They really look great.

Back